PDA

View Full Version : How many public 'christians' are agnostics / atheists?

GoodCallYouWin
07-10-2007, 03:54 PM
For a long time, I just assumed they were all christians (who would lie about something like that?) As I get older, and a little less stupid, I realize people do things because it makes their situation better. So...

CrayZee
07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I have no idea what the demographics are, but I'd imagine plenty of people say they are religious simply as an "insurance policy."...just in case there is a Judaeo-Christian God. These are typically the lazy fence sitters, people that like the positive aspects, family traditions, and interactions of religion, etc.

I consider the "insurance policy" approach as a lame, intellectually lazy cop out. Admitting "I don't care, haven't thought about it much" is better than this even if someone is a church goer.

GoRedBirds
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
For the people I know, it's not an insurance policy. They just recognize that it's easier to pretend around certain people.

vhawk01
07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Depends, are they or are they not in foxholes?

valenzuela
07-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Who would lie about something like that? Does anyone know an example of someone lying?

NotReady
07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For a long time, I just assumed they were all christians

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's impossible to say for sure. There are facts you can examine, however. Scripture says "You will know them by their fruits" - and other methods. A Christian can never make this as a personal judgment, but can use it to make decisions, such as voting, donations, etc.

I would be very skeptical of any politician initially. I would tend to believe any scientist, especially a biologist, almost immediately.

Hopey
07-10-2007, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine who is a lawyer attends church every Sunday.He does it for the business contacts. He has also talked about running for city council in a couple of years, and being seen as a church-going Christian can only help in that regard. However, he has been an atheist for as long as I have known him.

m_the0ry
07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Short answer: too many

Long answer: It's regional

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/religion/adherents.gif

CrayZee
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the people I know, it's not an insurance policy. They just recognize that it's easier to pretend around certain people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there's definitely that. But I'm only refering to nonthreatening situations when voicing opinions.

I guess I'm refering to nature of the fear of death, hell, etc.

Politicians routinely pretend to be public Christians here in the states. Religious people tend not to vote for nonbelievers regardless of competency, and nonbelievers don't care too much, so there's only an upside.

bunny
07-11-2007, 12:32 AM
I think the fact is that many people, theist or atheist have inconsistent beliefs. I expect many people call themselves christian because they used to be, even though if they ever stopped and thought about it they'd probably admit that they didnt believe anymore.

In my experience, very few people care enough to try and maintain a consistent worldview - I dont know that there is a correlation between this phenomenon and theism or not (though I'm sure I share the expectation/bias with most here that an atheist is more likely to care about such things than a theist).

Max Raker
07-11-2007, 11:20 PM
A better question would be how many people who call themselves Chrisitans would renounce their faith for a million dollars? I think alot of people call themselves Christian because its a freeroll in their minds.

Duke
07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I think there are documents floating around that say I was baptized nearly at birth in some random religion. Perhaps I should use that fact to run for congress, and become one of those liars.

agent_fish
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine who is a lawyer attends church every Sunday.He does it for the business contacts. He has also talked about running for city council in a couple of years, and being seen as a church-going Christian can only help in that regard. However, he has been an atheist for as long as I have known him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent idea which I may also try for chick sexing.

GoodCallYouWin
07-12-2007, 03:14 AM
If you're looking for loose women I'd try a bar before a church...

mojed
07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
While this isn't particularly relevant, a Bishop in New Zealand recently publicly stated that he was agnostic, or something to that effect. It was in the Newspaper, and I believe he had to/chose to stand down after it.

However, he was a christian, as opposed to a "christian", he simply had alternative views on what christianity means. Quite interesting.

Hopey
07-12-2007, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent idea which I may also try for chick sexing.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the biggest douchebags that I went to high school with was also one of the leaders of his parish's "Young Christians" group. He sexed *many* chicks in high school.

As a funny related side-note: Back in high school, I was out playing miniature golf with my girlfriend at the time and the douchebag in question and his church group were in two groups ahead of us. A few of the holes on the course had "sand-traps" along the edge of the greens. Every time the church group reached the holes with the sand-traps, I noticed a couple of the members (including the douchebag) using their putters to write in the sand.

When we got to the holes, we saw what they had written: "Repent now", "Jesus Saves", "Praise the Lord", etc... I wasn't sure if they were directing the messages at me personally, or at miniature golfers in general.