PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy in to Main Event by cashiers check?

MadeHand
07-07-2007, 08:52 PM
If so, what do you have to take with you and is there any delay. My bank Citibank are running out of cash and are limiting people to $5000 per day.

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Bad planning by the bank. Anybody? You should be able to, as a cashier's check is essentially cash, it is a check guarnteed by the bank, drawn to them. But I can't say I know for sure.

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes, found it, you can have the cashier's check made out to the Rio or the player. Check in the second section of the rules on the world series site.

MadeHand
07-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks mate. One other question, can I buy in for someone else with a cheque or does it have to be in the name of the person drawing the cheque? (sorry I don't know what a cashiers cheque looks like exactly.)

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 09:48 PM
A cashier's check is drawn on the bank, not your account. That is why it does not need to clear. So you will receive a check, drawn on BOA, not your account. It will not matter if you have it written to the Rio, or to this other player, but when you purchase this check, I would ask for them to list the other player as the remitter on the check, in case the Rio has a problem signing the check over from you to him. They should do this, as it is not technically necessary for there to be a remitter listed on the check at all, but if they are completely obstinant, (I would try the Manager, and ask him to check BankersOnline technical Gurus, and if this fails I would politely mention that if the Rios will not take the check because of his decision to question something which is none of his business, you might take your elsewhere in the future), then as a last resort it is probably better to put the Rio as the payor. If there is any problem, ask your bank to intervene, to verify that the check is good, and that you are the individual with account, and have choosen to give this check to him. Good Luck.

pig4bill
07-07-2007, 11:30 PM
The real answer is you can't buy in for someone else at all.

PokeReader
07-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Which is why I pushed to have other players name on the check, which is perfectly legal. But thank you if you are clarifying that they will not accept the cashier's check made out to Rio even if they are certain if it is valid and not stolen. This is what I thought. You will need to make sure your bank puts his name on your check. Have them look it up, totally legal, there are no regulations that require that your name is on the check, and there is exact question is on the BOA tech answer site.

pig4bill
07-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Unless you have the other person's Total Rewards card and ID and you look a lot like him and don't mind committing fraud, you're still out of luck.

PokeReader
07-09-2007, 11:38 AM
This is not correct, a cashier's check is like a bank check, it is drawn on the bank, not the player's account. The bank checks to see if the 10K is in his account, takes it out immediately, and after that point, if he want to have anybody's name put on the check, it is legal, and his business. Harrah's then receives a legal, cashier's check, drawn on BOA, with the player who needs the money as the remitter, and the Rio as the payor, he presents his card, and I fail to see the problem. It is legally his check, drawn on BOA. Please do not post definite answers if you do no know them.

AngusThermopyle
07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he presents his card, and I fail to see the problem. It is legally his check, drawn on BOA. Please do not post definite answers if you do no know them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the problem is that it is not his card? The question under consideration was registering for another player. The check might have his friend's name on it, but I think Harrah's wants his friend's warm body to be the one presenting it.

PokeReader
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
The point is that once the other player's name is the remitter on the check, he, the other player, presents the check, with his, the other player's Total Reward's card to Harrah's. Do we all understand now? For all legal purposes, and as far as Harrah's will ever know it is his, the other player's cashier's check, and there will be no problem. I seriously hope this player did not fail to play in the ME because of this incorrect post.

PokeReader
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
The point is that once the other player's name is the remitter on the check, he, the other player, presents the check, with his, the other player's Total Reward's card to Harrah's. Do we all understand now? For all legal purposes, and as far as Harrah's will ever know it is his, the other player's cashier's check, and there will be no problem. I seriously hope this player did not fail to play in the ME because of this post. Why this person felt a need to involve himself in this when he clearly did not understand what was going on is beyond me. I hope the player didn't end up being dissuaded by this, and did what I said and played the ME. Please update Madehand.

pig4bill
07-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Or, you could answer the question the guy asked, instead of one nobody asked.

[ QUOTE ]
One other question, can I buy in for someone else with a cheque or does it have to be in the name of the person drawing the cheque?

[/ QUOTE ]