PDA

View Full Version : Some quick dumb questions for a tax problem

ginko
07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Ahh my CPA is closed today and i want to ship these off ASAP. Didnt know where to put this but any help is greatly appreciated.

1.) Do I have to write my SS# on the Cashiers Checks I send in?

2.) Where do I send the FBAR?

3.) How many stamps do I need? I will be sending the FBAR in a regular envelope, but my actual tax's are in are in their own "first class mail" big envelopes with green on them. How many stamps do I need on each one?

thanks ssoo much

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Not answering stamp question, feel them and guess, round up. FBAR goes to Detroit. I believe I previously posted address, but if not it is in IRS link I posted on FBAR's.
You mean the cashier's checks with which you are paying taxes, if you are paying by check I believe you should have a tax payment voucher for each check. That should be filled out, and sent with the check, and generally you should have your SSN and the form number on the check. This information should be on the form you are filing. If you tell me what forms you are filing, I can be more specific. By the way, try not pay your taxes by check, it leaves you open to identity theives.

ginko
07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Also I need to know where my schedule B is? My CPA's are idiots and I they told me NOT to file my Neteller account, but Im filing the FBAR anyways even though Im late.

I just cant find the schedule B. Should I send the FBAR in anyways straight away just so I dont get sent to prison?

I already made the Cashiers Checks, put SS# on them, hopefully thats good enough.

Im filing my federal and local tax's and the FBAR.

TheEngineer
07-07-2007, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahh my CPA is closed today and i want to ship these off ASAP. Didnt know where to put this but any help is greatly appreciated.

1.) Do I have to write my SS# on the Cashiers Checks I send in?

2.) Where do I send the FBAR?

3.) How many stamps do I need? I will be sending the FBAR in a regular envelope, but my actual tax's are in are in their own "first class mail" big envelopes with green on them. How many stamps do I need on each one?

thanks ssoo much

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Wait until Monday, so you can get your Sch. B from your CPA. Why send an incomplete return when today's not a deadline?

2. www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f90221.pdf (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f90221.pdf)
Department of the Treasury
Post Office Box 32621
Detroit, MI 48232-0621

3. If you send it on Monday, you can take it to the post office. Otherwise, I'd put three stamps on it to be safe (I took mine to the post office and it think it was slightly more than two stamps).

ginko
07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. My CPA advised me NOT to send in my FBAR. I had to beg for him to help me fill it out and they accept no responsibility for it. Are they going to help me with the Schedule B?

TheEngineer
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the help guys. My CPA advised me NOT to send in my FBAR. I had to beg for him to help me fill it out and they accept no responsibility for it. Are they going to help me with the Schedule B?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are separate issues. The FBAR goes out by iself. It's a one-page, easy form. You won't send any additional information or tax forms with it. It takes one first-class stamp.

As for your CPA, he works for you, not the other way around. He'll "help you" (i.e., he'll do his job) because you, the client, require it. If he doesn't, feel free to inform him you'll report him to your state's Professional Ethics Division for advising you to fill out an inaccurate return and then refusing to aid you in fixing it.

Anyway, you don't really need a CPA to fill out the one-page FBAR, nor to file an amended return where you're simply adding a check mark and "Isle of Mann" to your sch. B.

ginko
07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Youve been so helpful, one more question if you will.

On the FBAR, Part 1 seems to be filled out. Part 2(Information on Financial Accounts) seems half filled out, there is nothing written in boxes 27-35

27 - Last Name or Organization name of Account Holder
28 - First Name
29 - Middle Initial
30 - Taxpayer Identification Number(what the hell is that)
31 - Address
32 - City
33 - State
34 - Zip/Postal Code
35 - Country

He filled out the rest of the form but left those blank, do I fill them in with my name/address again or leave them blank, or are they for another purpose?

TheEngineer
07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
27 - 35 should be blank, as you had a financial interest in the account, per box 26.

ginko
07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok cool, thanks a bunch Engineer.

TheEngineer
07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
No problem. Good luck with your CPA.

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Did he say why he was advising you not to send in your FBAR, was it because it was late? Is there some other tax issue? Otherwise I don't understand. Many more taxpayers are going to have to send in FBAR's now, and should have been before. If I were you, I would wait and get your tax payment vouchers to send with the checks. I can't see the extra two days, which aren't really full mail days anyway, making any difference in how the IRS treats your FBAR's. If you are up-to-date on your taxes, and are filing you FBAR's as soon as you became aware of them, you have an excellent chance of not having any problem. Can they penalize because you are late, theoretically, but I can't imagine two days making a critical difference. I would also attach a letter from your CPA, preferably, explaining why you were late with you FBAR. But if your payments are non-conforming, you can have an issue with the IRS messing that up. I firmly suggest that you consult you CPA, and then get a different one for next year. But from the initial sound of it, you do not sound like you have criminal FBAR liability at all.

ginko
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
They had never heard of it or something. Then they advised me against it because it could "open a can of worms".

crashjr
07-07-2007, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They had never heard of it or something. Then they advised me against it because it could "open a can of worms".

[/ QUOTE ]

Get an opinion letter when you get advice like this.

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Unless you have some other tax problem, i.e. if the account, other accounts were used for evading taxes, this is terrible advice, I believe. It sounds as if they are completely terrified of internet gambling in general, and the higher risk of audits caused by properly filing FBAR's in particular. I firmly suggest you find a CPA who is experienced/comfortable in gambling issues for the future. I would not want to go through an audit after this year with this person, unless there is information that is not being disclosed. I will say that every case is individual, but, CPA's cannot actually legally advise you to not file, or to delay doing so, a tax attorney can under some circumstances, but it is illegal for a CPA to do so, which really makes me question him in general.