PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tent fiasco

doublejoker
07-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I arrived at 1pm to play the $1000 mega satellite. The entire tournament area was empty except for 2 tables playing 2-7 no limit triple draw. For some reason we were sent to a sweltering tent. Everyone was complaining. Some people got up and went to try and get a refund. After three 1/2 hour rounds;we were sent on break; we asked to move to the open tournament area. That was assigned to the 4pm mega we were advised. They claimed they were worling on the temperature and would have it fixed by the end of the break. When we returned from break; the room was hotter than before. We played about another 10 minutes; then finally we were told that play would be suspended and we would move to the main tournament area at about 330 pm. By the time we moved, the 4pm mega players were ready to take their seats in the seats we were moving to. There was so much confusion that they posptoned the 4pm mega to 6pm to get everything straightened out. The chips were bagged and brought to the new tables. Several players got back to the tent to find their table already moved and could not locate their "new" table. The staff had rushed the restart and now there were about 5 players just standing with a supervisor who could not locate their seats. Finally an announcement came over the speakers. Players in the 1pm Mega; look over here; if you recognize any of these players as from your original table before the move raise your hand. And i thought things couldnt get any worse.........

TimTimSalabim
07-05-2007, 11:06 PM
If you say Harrah's really quickly, it sounds like "harass".

MaverickUSC
07-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Good one! It's like at the fireworks show: First, little bangs with spaces and the occasional really bright or big bang. Then, a whole bunch of bangs, a really really big bright bang, and then the grand finale.

I'm excited for some sweet screw up stories.

Devo

SGspecial
07-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Whoever said poker is not a sport never had to play in the canvas oven. Hopefully the cocktail servers bring you cups of Gatorade to pour over your head...

Coltfish
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
This years WSOP theme "Customer Abuse is King"

CincyLady
07-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Did you guys see where they are running satallites all the way up until the morning of the 4th day one?

Whew ... they really want to pack them in, that's for sure (and I'm guessing this is the REAL reason they added another day one)!

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/tourney/tourneydetails.asp?groupid=309&sats=1

I wonder if these will be ran in the tent as well?

I sure hope not, as I was thinking of playing in one myself.

Kevmath
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
From updates I've read, the mega satellites are in the tent.

Bill Murphy
07-06-2007, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I arrived at 1pm to play the $1000 mega satellite. The entire tournament area was empty except for 2 tables playing 2-7 no limit single draw. For some reason we were sent to a sweltering tent. Everyone was complaining. Some people got up and went to try and get a refund. After three 1/2 hour rounds;we were sent on break; we asked to move to the open tournament area. That was assigned to the 4pm mega we were advised. They claimed they were worling on the temperature and would have it fixed by the end of the break. When we returned from break; the room was hotter than before. We played about another 10 minutes; then finally we were told that play would be suspended and we would move to the main tournament area at about 330 pm. By the time we moved, the 4pm mega players were ready to take their seats in the seats we were moving to. There was so much confusion that they posptoned the 4pm mega to 6pm to get everything straightened out. The chips were bagged and brought to the new tables. Several players got back to the tent to find their table already moved and could not locate their "new" table. The staff had rushed the restart and now there were about 5 players just standing with a supervisor who could not locate their seats. Finally an announcement came over the speakers. Players in the 1pm Mega; look over here; if you recognize any of these players as from your original table before the move raise your hand. And i thought things couldnt get any worse.........

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No, seriously, this tent thing just defies belief. They're not out of the woods yet either, as far as someone dying or being seriously hurt in there from heat-related causes. Lawsuit city. Imagine how many friend-of-the-plaintiff briefs would get filed in those suits.

Symptomatic of the fact that they don't start preparing for the next WSOP until about a week beforehand; all the time since the end of the previous one is spent on promotion, mostly of the "self-" variety.

MicroBob
07-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Is there any other convention or group thing in LV that would be forced to settle for the world's hottest tent?
No way I'm guessing.

8-zillion conventions in LV but I bet every one of them when they pay their money pretty much assure that they won't be stuck in 100+ degree heat.

Harrah's cares a ton about poker players and treating them well....NOT!!!

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Frankly, if I were stuck in that damn tent, I'd show up with a Doctor's note saying he wouldn't take any liability for me playing under such conditions, because of my disability. For which they must make reasonable accommadations. The rest of you should be screaming about uneven playing conditions, which, are illegal. Everyone must participate in a contest/or sporting event under the most similar conditions the organizer can arrange. This is not it. Some fancy class action outfit could come by and sign up the bust outs from the tent.

stephenNUTS
07-07-2007, 11:56 AM
They should have dropped one of those GIANT cans of Milwaukee Bestlight??? cans of beer on the damn tent .....obviously when NO card players were playing,but when those honcho's were pontificating this brilliant idea while inside it in 117 thousand degrees heat,and end it at that.

The whole tent charade was a travesty,as soon as the first incident occurred with the wind early in the series,and should have been ditched from there.There are a ton of un-used conference rooms that would have been perfect in every regard.

But why ACTUALLY THINK?

What were these nitwits in charge ......waiting for a tent collapse,....or maybe even a cold-blooded ESKIMO to drop in those conditions,used to much lower tempatures?

What a joke!

~stephen feraca /images/graemlins/cool.gif

beermankirk
07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Move the series back to April like it was a few years ago?

SGspecial
07-07-2007, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a ton of un-used conference rooms that would have been perfect in every regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, the ones down the hall were in use at least when I was there. There was I think a Bar-Mitzvah reception and a Tupperware seminar of some sort. Obv Harrah's has it's priorities in order /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Ah, but April is prime convention time when they can get a better price, and sell out more of the rest of the hotel without the Series. People don't want to come in July, not many conventions book then, so since we have no choice and it is low season that is what we get. But was there a price discount for the move, no. And there would have been if we were a corporate customer.

SGspecial
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, but April is prime convention time when they can get a better price, and sell out more of the rest of the hotel without the Series. People don't want to come in July, not many conventions book then, so since we have no choice and it is low season that is what we get. But was there a price discount for the move, no. And there would have been if we were a corporate customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

players = salmon
Harrah's = grizzly

PokeReader
07-07-2007, 03:52 PM
The Series reminds me on a smaller level of this horrible training convention I was at. The Dem. party must have negoicated some super low price, because they treated us like crap. There was this dinner, they always had a salad, cheap, then there was a baked potatoe, then there was all this crap to put on it, bacon and cheese and stuff, I was like nah, then I get to the end, more potaoes. That was it, a potatoe for dinner. Lots of potatoe famine jokes, the worst part is some of the pollsters and consultants had managed to get sushi in. Was not happy. Last day as we were checking out, (at which point out seminars were no longer in the hotel, but the extension across the street, the still under construction extension across the street), AT&T was coming in. Ice scupture, receiving line, string quartet, those hotels know who they give a **** about and who they don't, and we are on the wrong list folks.

youtalkfunny
07-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't usually read the WSOP forum, but I've been lurking for a few days. I must say that this theme cracks me up:

[ QUOTE ]
People don't want to come in July, not many conventions book then, so since we have no choice and it is low season that is what we get. But was there a price discount for the move, no. And there would have been if we were a corporate customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of that on this board. "We are hostage to HET's incompetence and penny pinching. We are helpless to do anything about it. All we can do is lie down and take it..."

I've yet to see anyone mention the obvious relief from this untenable situation:

DON'T GO! STAY HOME! PLAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

I wouldn't give HET two cents.

thegoatofgoats
07-07-2007, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't usually read the WSOP forum, but I've been lurking for a few days. I must say that this theme cracks me up:

[ QUOTE ]
People don't want to come in July, not many conventions book then, so since we have no choice and it is low season that is what we get. But was there a price discount for the move, no. And there would have been if we were a corporate customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of that on this board. "We are hostage to HET's incompetence and penny pinching. We are helpless to do anything about it. All we can do is lie down and take it..."

I've yet to see anyone mention the obvious relief from this untenable situation:

DON'T GO! STAY HOME! PLAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

I wouldn't give HET two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, I went the 2nd day the wsop was open (june 2nd?), and it was such a joke that I haven't gone back since. It really sucks cause i was looking forward to it for so long, but it's not worth it. If everyone could have managed to do this harrah's really would have got what they deserved.

iversonian
07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I bet Harrah's could jack up their take to 50% and people (I'm thinking of Hellmuth as I write this) would still play, in search of bracelets and WSOP "glory".

doublejoker
07-08-2007, 04:16 AM
not in those conditions

erroneous
07-08-2007, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I arrived at 1pm to play the $1000 mega satellite. The entire tournament area was empty except for 2 tables playing 2-7 no limit triple draw. For some reason we were sent to a sweltering tent. Everyone was complaining. Some people got up and went to try and get a refund. After three 1/2 hour rounds;we were sent on break; we asked to move to the open tournament area. That was assigned to the 4pm mega we were advised. They claimed they were worling on the temperature and would have it fixed by the end of the break. When we returned from break; the room was hotter than before. We played about another 10 minutes; then finally we were told that play would be suspended and we would move to the main tournament area at about 330 pm. By the time we moved, the 4pm mega players were ready to take their seats in the seats we were moving to. There was so much confusion that they posptoned the 4pm mega to 6pm to get everything straightened out. The chips were bagged and brought to the new tables. Several players got back to the tent to find their table already moved and could not locate their "new" table. The staff had rushed the restart and now there were about 5 players just standing with a supervisor who could not locate their seats. Finally an announcement came over the speakers. Players in the 1pm Mega; look over here; if you recognize any of these players as from your original table before the move raise your hand. And i thought things couldnt get any worse.........

[/ QUOTE ]

I played in this satellite. Right before there was the break to move inside, Chris Bigler stood up from his chair and yelled "ITS TOO [censored] HOT IN HERE!!". Everybody applauded him and the break was about 5 minutes after that.

SGspecial
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Series reminds me on a smaller level of this horrible training convention I was at. The Dem. party must have negoicated some super low price, because they treated us like crap. There was this dinner, they always had a salad, cheap, then there was a baked potatoe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan Quayle? Is that you?