PDA

View Full Version : Book labels

RedGladiator
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
how about on the book lists, classifying the books in seperate sections. for example GSIHE label this: hold em/beginner. PGLGB: no limit/holdem/advance beginner.
and others:psycology/fiction/general poker/biograpghy.

this would be very useful for new posters. this would eliminate the "is SSHE for limits or no limits?" questions or "is PGLGB for beginners?".

certain books like ace on the river/kill phil, are very confusing. the titles gives nothing away on whether the book is HE, NL beginner etc.

MicroBob
02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Obviously it shouldn't be too tough to do a search on the book you are interested in and find out.
But I do think that incorporating something like this with general-info on a book in the books/pubs forum (without giving recommendations or something like that) could save us from over-and-over again having to explain that SSHE is not a no-limit book.

deacsoft
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Mr. Malmuth has said more than once that he doesn't want that kind of thread in the Books/Publications forum. Yes, that meant he didn't want to make recomendations. However, making a thread that simply listed book titles and what they're about would be both extremely long and extremely useless. Anyone can go to amazon.com or several other sites, search for poker books, and read a paragraph about what a book is about.

I wish we could have (and once campaigned for) a thread for recommended reading, but that list would contain very few books and could potentially upset many authors. So, no dice.

MicroBob
02-23-2006, 08:28 PM
But it would sure be nice to possibly cut-down on all the threads asking whether SSHE is a no-limit book?

Whether it's easy to find information or not people are still asking...and a sticky just simply stating that SSHE addresses limit-poker only might be helpful.

I also understand (I think) why we wouldn't want to do this. But man are all those threads asking if SSHE is a no-limit book kind of annoying.

RedGladiator
02-26-2006, 06:21 PM
i wasn't really trying to suggest a thread, only that the list of books could be labelled with perhaps a little more discription on it's intended target/potential buyer. when choosing a book, people in general want to do this with minimal effort and having the information readly available can only be good for sales. amazon reviews can be misleading and very tedious and often conflict, they also tend to be recommendations/otherwise with very little discription.
when i purchase a product at a particular website, i generally will be put off if the information i require is not availble or if i am required to do furthur detailed reseach.
is this request likey to happen?? i ask because i wish to know certain information about certain books myself that i am having extreme difficulty locating this information, which i am sure has been discussed before.

deacsoft
02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
It's certainly not going to happen any time soon. If at all. Just use the search function, and if that fails go ahead and start a thread. I won't mess with it unless the information you seek is easily found. In which case I'll provide a link and lock your thread.

Tony_P
02-26-2006, 07:16 PM
I beleive OP is talking about catagorizing the books section http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html not the Books forum.