PDA

View Full Version : The Theory of Relativity

m_the0ry
06-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Unlike most advances in physics, the theory of relativity was proposed based on mathematical theory rather than observation. The theory rests on two postulates that are difficult to test, and then derives mathematically what the physical consequences should be. Those two postulates are that the speed of light never changes, and that all laws of physics are the same in every (inertial) frame of reference no matter where it is or how fast it is traveling. This theory rejects Isaac Newton's God-given theory of gravitation and replaces it with a concept that there is a continuum of space and time, and that large masses (like the sun) bend space in a manner similar to how a finger can depress an area of a balloon. From this proposed bending of space the expression arose that "space is curved." But experiments later proved that space is flat overall.

Nothing useful has even been built based on the theory of relativity. Scientists claim that this is because relativity only applies to extremely heavy or fast objects and rely on future scientists to finally come up with the proof that will vindicate their life's work. Most conservatives are skeptical since science is supposed to be about finding proof before a theory becomes a fact, not after. Albert Einstein's work had nothing to do with the development of the atomic bomb, contrary to popular opinion. Only one Nobel Prize has ever been given (in 1993) that relates to relativity, and the validity of that particular award is questionable. Many things predicted by the theory of relativity, such as gravitons, have never been found despite much searching for them. Many observed phenomenon, such as the bending of light passing near the sun or the advance of the perihelion in the orbit of Mercury, can be also predicted by Newton's theory.

British Historian Paul Johnson declares the turning point in 20th century to have been when fellow Brit Sir Arthur Eddington, the top English astronomer, ventured out on a boat off Africa in 1919 to observe the bending of starlight around the sun during a total eclipse. The theory of relativity predicts twice the bending of light around massive objects compared to Newton's theory, and an eclipse is required to darken the sun so that the starlight may be seen in proximity to the sun. Eddington liked publicity and probably dreamed of winning a Nobel Prize, and upon his return to England declared that his observations proven the theory of relativity. That was good enough for reporters and historians, but the Nobel committee was not impressed and declined to give him an award. Recent analysis of Eddington's work revealed that he was biased in selecting his data, and that overall his data was inconclusive about the theory of relativity.

Eddington next promoted the theory of relativity to the English-speaking world in his Mathematical Theory of Relativity (1923). As the title suggests, this theory was more a mathematical vision of how the universe should be, rather than what it actually was. When a reporter asked Eddington whether only three people even understood the theory, Eddington supposedly retorted, "Who's the third?"

Just as “social Darwinism” arose from Darwinism, many seized upon the theory of relativity to apply it in a vague way to morality and social issues. “All things are relative” became popular as atheists and others used relativity to attack Christian values. There remains enormous political support for the theory of relativity that has nothing to do with physics, and Congress continues to spend billions of dollars unsuccessfully searching for particles predicted by the theory of relativity.

Source (http://www.conservapedia.com/index.php?title=Theory_of_Relativity&oldid=15341)

DrunkHamster
06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm convinced!

Roland32
06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Awesome.

Reminds me of "Fair Game" theory of public relations by Scientology. ATTACK THE MESSENGER!

luckyme
06-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I assume (hope) it's by the writers at Saturday Night Live.

luckyme

tpir
06-29-2007, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unlike most advances in physics, the theory of relativity was proposed based on mathematical theory rather than observation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite. It doesn't really matter though since all of the observations have since been verified experimentally.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing useful has even been built based on the theory of relativity.

[/ QUOTE ]
NASA and people who rely on satellites (i.e. everyone on Earth) would disagree. GPS satellies, for example, are programmed to account for relativistic time shifting (which does occur) to get the locations correct.

[ QUOTE ]
“All things are relative” became popular as atheists and others used relativity to attack Christian values.

[/ QUOTE ]
It did?

[ QUOTE ]
There remains enormous political support for the theory of relativity that has nothing to do with physics, and Congress continues to spend billions of dollars unsuccessfully searching for particles predicted by the theory of relativity.

[/ QUOTE ]
o rly?

MelchyBeau
06-29-2007, 02:03 PM
i love the sources that your article cites. How wonderful.

What particles are predicted by the theory of relativity?

tpir
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I assume you are talking about OP's article. It should be noted that was just a temporary edit of the article and the current one on their wiki is much more reasonable... although I still shudder at the idea of a conservapedia.

KipBond
06-29-2007, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Source (http://www.conservapedia.com/index.php?title=Theory_of_Relativity&oldid=15341)

[/ QUOTE ]

Unreal. First heard of this "Conservapedia" yesterday. It's amazing how hard ignorant people try to remain ignorant.

Philo
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
A quick summary:

Einstein was an atheist. Boo!

Newton was a fanatical Christian. Yay!

GMontag
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Somehow, Conservapedia always makes me feel like I'm getting leveled.

thylacine
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume (hope) it's by the writers at Saturday Night Live.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be, but it seems serious. Anyone know what the deal is with this conservapedia. It seems like they may be actual conservatives that are just making a bunch of stuff up, but if they are challenged on it, they'll use the `ha ha we were just kidding'--defense, while continuing to present it as fact to receptive audiences. Call me cynical ... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Philo
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope so.

Hopey
06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope so.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP's article isn't too far off from the same type of anti-Darwinism nonsense that is posted on this site on a regular basis by certain posters. Regardless of whether or not the site was created to be tongue-in-cheek, there will be millions of ignorant religious nuts who will read these articles and believe every word because it fits with their anti-science pro-religion worldview.

tarheeljks
06-29-2007, 05:13 PM
einstein was not an atheist

KipBond
06-29-2007, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
HE'S NOT A CHRISTIAN!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1mTNqdFO8)
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hopey
06-29-2007, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was Jewish. So?

Philo
06-29-2007, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that Einstein did not believe in Newton's god, as referred to in the passage, and that 99.99+ percent of those who are religious would no doubt count Spinoza's god as no god at all once they understood pantheism.

"We began by asking "Did Einstein believe in God?" The answer, as Hawking pointed out, depends on what you mean by "God". In one sense (the Pantheist sense), Einstein did believe in God. But in another sense he didn't. Indeed, except for his deciding to use the term "God" in a way that is unfamiliar to most people, his views are indistinguishable from those of someone who is an unabashed atheist."

"Although the term "atheist" has negative connotations for many people, it is worth remembering that in the strict sense of the word, the term applies to many of the most thoughtful and highly moral people throughout history. As we have seen, it applies to many liberal Christians, Jews, and Muslims; it applies to Deists; and it applies to Pantheists like Einstein"

http://www.eequalsmcsquared.auckland.ac.nz/sites/emc2/tl/philosophy/einstein_god.cfm

And from Einstein:

"From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist..."

GoodCallYouWin
06-30-2007, 12:11 AM
e=mc2

energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light, squared

so you can take even a small amount of mass and because the speed of light (squared none the less) you will have a huge amount of energy.

But this has nothing to do with atomic weapons? Which take a small amount of mass and create a huge amount of energy?

vhawk01
06-30-2007, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Things like Conservapedia are the only reason I EVER get levelled anywhere.

NotReady
06-30-2007, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Most conservatives are skeptical since science is supposed to be about finding proof before a theory becomes a fact, not after.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Different Conservative (http://www.reasons.org/resources/faf/98q2faf/98q2succ.shtml), a creationist, ID'er type, says:

[ QUOTE ]

No theory of physics has been tested as rigorously and as comprehensively as general relativity. Because general relativity has passed all its tests, we can be confident in the conclusions drawn from it and from its derivative, the space-time theorem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just posted this in my never ending pursuit of fairness and balance. And truth.

MidGe
06-30-2007, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just posted this in my never ending pursuit of fairness and balance. And truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo! /images/graemlins/smile.gif There is still hope for you, in my view! /images/graemlins/smile.gif