PDA

View Full Version : Overbetting, when to do it?

Yaboosh
06-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Villain and I have no history, he is new to the table, 1 orbit has gone by and he has played 1 hand, folded flop.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Villain has $10 to start, I cover

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $0.4</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($0.8, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.7</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($2.2, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: K/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.2, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $16.45</font>

I assume from the flop call villain is not calling me with nothing. I think it is either a Q or T, so something like AQ/KQ/JQ/QT/AT/KT/TJ/T9. I have no information that he is prone to call an overbet like this, but the reason I did it is because, against a random person at these stakes, it just looks so damn weird, and I thought I might get looked up extremely light (probably not a T, but MAYBE a Q) and, if he happened to have two pair on the flop or hit it with the K, I think I will get called a good percentage of the time.

So is this a situation where you ever overbet a complete unknown? Is this minimizing value against the most common hands (a bare Q or T)? I figure a T will probably fold most of the time to any sort of potsized bet also, so I am not too worried about extracting value from that hand, it is the Q's I am worried about. I think a Q will often call a 3/4 size bet, but seldom call this overbet. Also, if the villain did happen to hit two pair on the flop or on the river, I assume he is going for a check raise, so overbetting the pot may minimize value from the Q's and maybe fold out QT/KT.

Thoughts?

Knuckles
06-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Without a solid read that the player will call an overbet, I am going for a value bet here. Yes it looks strange, but most people wise up after a while that this is the nuts. Your over bet is +EV, but I think that a 3/4 pot sized bet is more +EV.

jessyj07
06-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Just value bet. There is no reason to think he has any kind of showdownable hand much less a hand that's calling a huge overbet. Get some value out of it.

silver book
06-29-2007, 03:07 AM
Overbet anytime the board is double paired or especially if there are trips on the board and you have either the best possible fullhouse or quads. Look at the following situation.

25 NL, both your and your opponent has full buyins. On the river you have A3 and the board reads

AA6JA ( rainbow). THe pot is 5 or 6 bucks. You can pretty go all in here, and a J would have to call. 10's,9's, etc. and maybe a 6 probably calls, and qq and kk ( or even JJ) is calling this every single time ( unless he has seen you make this move before). I think this is basically a paraphrase of Zeebo's theorem, if anyone of you guys are familar with that

BevillTheDevil
06-29-2007, 03:10 AM
id probably just bet like 2/3-PSB on river. If villian is decent at all i think this push folds out everything. I only would do this if there is a really good 2nd hand where its obv villian probably wont fold but on this board i cant see villian callin a push w/ 1 pair here, which by the weakness villian has shown seems to be the likely holding. But most likely will call a 2/3+ size bet.

Spechel EDD
06-29-2007, 03:10 AM
when you have the nuts and theres a retard still in the hand that will possibly call it

Debaser
06-29-2007, 03:32 AM
There's the obvious boat ones, where say you have 77 on a AA776 board. You can overbet hundreds of bbs here and noone will ever fold an ace. I've had two callers for 100bb+ more than once on this type of board. These hands come along very rarely tho.

The best time to make a big overbet shove is with a two card nut straight when your opponent(s) are likely have a straight with you. If the board in your hand was 9TQ turn x river K you should shove this every time, esp. if villain bets the river. Boards like 3456x when you hold 78 are great candidates for this type of overbet too. Noone will fold a 7 here ever unless they're stupidly weak-tight or good players realising they're calling for a chop at best.

There's an example in NLTAP where you have something like 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and it comes down K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and you backdoor a straight. Since it's almost impossible for your opp. to put you on a straight his KK/QQ is pretty much the nuts and you can overbet shove for hundreds of bbs here and get called every time.