PDA

View Full Version : Two Hands, Two Decisions

Poker Jon
06-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi All,

First hand, only just sat down at the table, but is this a value bet, or am I setting myself up for a spewy CRAI. Was afraid of the set on the flop when he flat called twice, not so scared on the turn, but what does he have here??

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

SB ($43.70)
BB ($77)
UTG ($52.30)
MP ($53.80)
CO ($51.55)
Hero ($57)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.5</font>, MP calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($5.25) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, MP calls $1.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.5</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $5.

Turn: ($19.75) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.5</font>, MP calls $9.50.

River: ($38.75) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero ??

Second Hand

Villain seems relatively tricky, plays a lot in position and seems to know what he is doing. Should I have 3 bet and folded to a push on the turn, and, as playhed, how do I play this turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

CO ($25.20)
Button ($65.15)
SB ($62.90)
Hero ($90.20)
UTG ($113.40)
MP ($37.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, UTG calls $3, MP folds.

Flop: ($7.75) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $9.

Turn: ($39.75) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero ??

Cheers,

Jon

infinite_loop
06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Hand 1: Not sure what you're doing to do with this pre-flop call. This hand does not play well post-flop. If you're playing for flush value then you should be folding this flop. If pre-flop is not spew enough the flop raise is pure spew. Fold the flop. Either one of them can have a better K enough to make this really bad. Oh, there's the turn. That's why you play K6! I like 2/3 on the turn. As played, shove that river.

Hand 2: Lead for less on the flop. If he knows what he's doing the flop raise could very well be a fold given the stack sizes. BB PF raises are generally perceived by most as really strong (as they should). This is a spot where I may like a check-raise. You're not really worried about this board and it's better to be the one making the raise.

jk1986
06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Hand 1, fold pre for sure, rest of the hand is fine, bet river for value, expect to see TPGK most of the time.

Hand 2, check call the turn is probably best here. I 3bet flop when playing your average player.

godofPOPOV
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
hand 1:

1. fold pre flop.
2. i put the range for MP 22, AKdd, AJdd, JJ, QJdd, KK (in that order of likliness) id say that because 1st position raise he most liley has JJ, 22, AKs, AA, or KK. after the flop. with JJ and KK he would have prolly re raised UTGs raise.
3. at the river it looks like you dont beat any of his range. maybe you beat AKo,.

thats why you dont play K6 to a raise and call..
i would check

jk1986
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. i put the range for MP 22, AKdd, AJdd, JJ, QJdd, KK (in

[/ QUOTE ]
That range is rediculously tight. He flat called 1 raise in middle position, and there are no reads that say anything other than standard player. I mean that is so rediculously tight.

jk1986
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
He has K7 more than he has KK here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMc
06-28-2007, 10:19 PM
habd 1: Fold PF, valuebet river
hand 2: silly me, i didnt check stacks. B/f here IMO.

calmB4storm
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
*grunch*

Hand 1: I fold preflop, especially facing a raise from an unknown, specifically to avoid situations like this.

Hand 2: Not sure what hands this villain is limping with UTG. I think we can rule out AA and KK from his range, since he didn't pull a limp re-raise, but a lower pocket pair seems like a good bet. Or maybe some suited connectors, something like 87s. Gaaaah, I really hate folding this flop, but I think villain has a set quite often. Plus we're almost 200BB deep, and I really don't feel comfortable playing for stacks here. I guess I fold reluctantly.

calmB4storm
06-28-2007, 10:25 PM
What is the reasoning behind a check-raise on the flop in Hand 2? What is UTG's range after the preflop action?

Edit: I see you changed your line to bet/fold based on stack sizes. Let's say they are ~100BB, then you like a check-raise on the flop? Can you explain why? Thanks in advance.

EMc
06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the reasoning behind a check-raise on the flop in Hand 2? What is UTG's range after the preflop action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt see stacks, and I mean c/r AI on the turn, a typical stack a donk line there. A lot of players will fire 99-77, Tx there, and commit themselves.

Check_The_Nuts
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
first hand - preflop is disgusting, don't cold call here. The flop raise is very blah, but way to smoke the turn. I'd probably push the river.

second hand - definitely check this turn and evaluated based on his bet size. I'd be scared to call two bets here, and if he bet big enough on the turn it might be a fold. Just remember that in this spot your hand is the same as AA basically (since he never has KK/AA himself). Betting some amount like $20 is also OK (assuming you would call a 20 dollar bet from him).

Poker Jon
06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

Cheers for your inputs.

Hand 1, for some insane reason, I checked the river!!!(?) as I managed to convince myself that he had a better hand here. Obv he showed AK and woulda paid off a river push. Although my play is at best poor, his play was worse.

Hand 2

I ummed and ahhhed between betting about $20 and checking. Decided to check and he bet $27. I think the ONLY hand I am beating here is JJ, as I discount AA and KK, so decided I was up agianst 2pair or a set, so decided to fold - hows this play?

Cheers,

Jon