PDA

View Full Version : New to NL, questions...

WillS
06-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Okay, so I've read the FAQ and all that but have some questions and hope you don't mind.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I decided to switch from limit start playing NL.

I can afford to pay and buy in to 50NL or 100NL but thought I would just start playing with the micro-micro 5NL games until I get my feet wet and get comfortable.

I'm not sure whether to actually buy into a the higher micros or whether to work my way up and try and improve on the way up. What's the better option?

I'm playing full ring on partypoker and winning at a good rate but still feel like i need help to open up my VPIP.

My stats are around 11.8/4.3/2.5.

The problem is I can't figure out what hands i'm missing out on, so is there a good starting guide somewhere for FR NL because I aint seen one.

Cheers to anybody who replies. Will.

hunt1897
06-28-2007, 05:05 PM
How many hands at these stats?

Gelford
06-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Wrong forum ... there is a full ring forum (all stakes) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if you can afford it, start at 25NL

WillS
06-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Just over 3000. I know it's a tiny sample as far as winrate is concerned but it's my VPIP and pfr that I'm concerned about and they tend to converge rather quickly.

hunt1897
06-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Small sample, but you need to raise a bit more,even in full ring. GL

Gelford
06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
vpips of 11 are not uncommon among the ni... sorry I mean fullringers ... but holla, here we are all degens, so ... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WillS
06-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Gelford yeah i know there is but this doesn't forum name itself 6max in the title. It just says microstakes which is the limit I'm playing at but okay in the future i'll post in the full ring. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fees
06-28-2007, 05:28 PM
6 max plyers have betpot scripts.. FR players have fold macro'd

Gelford
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gelford yeah i know there is but this doesn't forum name itself 6max in the title. It just says microstakes which is the limit I'm playing at but okay in the future i'll post in the full ring. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the full ring forum is a2 new invention, until recently this was both full ring and sixmax, that is why there is no label.

It has nothing to do with me not wanting to answer your questions, it is just, that most of us here haven't played FR in ages, so we have no stat and tablefeel /images/graemlins/smile.gif

WillS
06-28-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm thinking maybe I should switch to 6max? Seems to be where the action is?

Gelford
06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
did you play shorthanded limit or full ring ?

WillS
06-28-2007, 05:46 PM
FR on stars. It was pretty darn tight once i got up to the $1/$2 level.

Gelford
06-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh ok ... well I play NL for a living and a wee bit of minbet hold'em for fun

Actually minbet 6max is a blast, but both games ... but the thing is, that big hands don't come around often, so it is about stealing and gambooling (handreading)

WillS
06-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I can imagine 6max limit is a bit of fun. I stuck to FR though because I was(am?) a bit of a nit and didn't like the idea of the swings.

I think might try the 6max 25NL. I guess I don't mind losing a few hundred $ if things go terrible.

Good winrate for this level is $2-2.5+/100 right?

I've actually been winning that at 5NL so far but I assume this is due to increased amount of donks plus running well.

Gelford
06-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Well you can nit up 6max in NL unlike limit ... if you table select very good (actually at the micro you do not need to table select, but at some point pure nit without table selection doesn't cut it).

But sure, have fun .... I can recommend reading the material in the uNL and SSNL stickies, much better than any published book. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

WillS
06-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd imagine that I would force myself to open up if I was playing 6max plus I'd probably do it a little naturally anyway due to being in a position to open-raise more often.

Yeah, this site is great as far as content goes but I'm always a little wary about posting on it due to some of the less than constructive responces which I've seen other n00bs get. I think that may be more applicable to the limit forums though tbh.

Gelford
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Dont worry, we are friendly here in uNL ... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

WillS
06-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Well that's good to know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif