PDA

View Full Version : Has McCain Become A Gambling Supporter or a Hypocrite

oldbookguy
06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Is this a hypocrite or what?

If you think so as I do, send him a note telling him we are glad to see he has changed his position on Internet Gambling and is a supporter of ours or symply he is a typical Washington Hypocrite (I believe the latter).

http://www.johnmccain.com/Contact/

In 2003 John McCain introduced legislation to ban betting on Amateur Sports.
In 2007 John McCain ran a contest on his PRESIDENTIAL Website for supporters to win prizes based on bracket points during the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

2003- http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2003/05/05/daily32.html

“McCain introduced legislation Tuesday that bars gambling on amateur sports.”

Fast forward to spring 2007 – http://www.johnmccain.com//Brackets/CreateThankYou.htm

Thank you for creating your bracket to compare your picks to John McCain!

Please click here to go back to the main brackets page and edit your picks or watch how your bracket compares to John McCain.

Scoring: You will receive 1 point for each correct winner in round 1, 2 points for each correct winner in round 2, 3 points for each correct winner in round 3, 4 points for each correct winner in round 4, 5 points for each correct winner in round 5 and 6 points for correctly picking the 2007 champion

Prizes will be awarded to three Team members with the top scores. First place will receive a McCain 2008 Fleece, second place will receive a McCain 2008 Hat and third place will receive a McCain 2008 Lapel Pin.

I know, not TRUE gambling, however, seems rules do not apply equally……….

What say we the 2+@ folks?

Obg

CybrPunk
06-25-2007, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know, not TRUE gambling, however, seems rules do not apply equally……….

[/ QUOTE ]

This contest doesn't even slightly resemble gambling.

Tell me, is the McDonalds monopoly contest gambling too? Random chances to win a prize, ohs nos!

I knew that clown was evil all along.

autobet
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
This is not gambling.

oldbookguy
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this qualifies as a lotty / lottery scheme:

(2) a person to sponsor, operate, advertise, or promote, pursuant to the law or compact of a governmental entity,
a lottery, sweepstakes, or other betting, gambling, or wagering scheme based, directly or indirectly (through the use of
geographical references or otherwise), on one or more competitive games in which amateur or professional athletes participate, or are intended to participate, or on one or more performances of such athletes in such games.

From the Amateur Sports protection act.

Yes, strictly speaking, it is gambling.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Federal-Laws/sports-protection.htm

obg

autobet
06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Perhaps you are correct technically, but playing for Lapel Pins(who would want one anyway)...I think we can let this go.

If you want to look to gambling hypocricy in Arizona look to the Senator who has most likely taken money from Indian gaming, tried to crush their competition, but given them an exemption to offer games online after taling about the evils on online gambling.

oldbookguy
06-25-2007, 02:19 PM
LOL, certainly not myself for sure!

Anyway, point is he is an opponet and he needs to be aware we are watching and take notice of senator's hypocracy like this.

What was that old saying from our parents, Do as I say, not as I do?

obg

oldbookguy
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Now, more important however do I think McCain is REALLY against gambling?

No. I do think however in the time following his loss to G. W. Bush for the nomination he decided to jump on a bandwagon and try and pander to the religious moralist right in the G.O.P.

In fact, being the old military guy he is it is almost certain he more than played his share of poker and engaged in betting, even if only among friends.

Sad though if this is the case how coveting something can make a person become something they are not really at heart.

obg

Legislurker
06-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Mccain hates sports betting. He has a weird idea that stopping nevada from offering NCAA betting he can stop point shaving. He is a big boxing fan as well, and has a twisted idea that gambling and not greed and stupidity ruined that sport. So if he promises FoF to fight the spread of gambling he may mean it. On the other hand, I believe he is the ranking member on the Senate Indian Affairs Committee for the minority. So he has practical experience in dealing with gaming regulation. A lot of military brats grow up to be real law and order [censored] types. He may be one of those, and that is why he hates gambling.

mo42nyy
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
ofcourse one of the ways point shaving scandals have been caught/stopped is because of legalized betting in Nevada