PDA

View Full Version : NL25 - Pick off a bluff (?) on the river?

greggg230
06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $26.30
BB: $25.00
Hero (UTG): $45.90
MP: $28.35
CO: $29.15
BTN: $9.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, MP calls $1.00, CO calls $1.00, 3 folds

Flop: ($3.35) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.25</font>, MP calls $2.25, CO folds

Turn: ($7.85) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.50</font>, MP calls $3.50

River: ($14.85) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $7.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $14.00</font>, Hero calls $7.00

Pot Size: $42.85 ($2.10 Rake)

I think I should obviously fold to a substantial raise on the river, but can I really give him credit for the flush with such a pathetic raise?

CityFan
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Given that you would fold to a larger raise, I think the minraise is EXACTLY how villain should play his obvious flush.

Lower pairs would surely call here, so the only hand I can see that doesn't have you beat is a busted straight draw. If I were bluffing with that I'd tend to raise more though.

When the heart hit I would have checked the river. You get away cheaper if he has the flush, and can snap off some bluffs when he doesn't.

corsakh
Its a value raise.

PietM
I'd bet more on this turn (around $7 I think), and shut down when I got called. Your half pot bet looks just like what it is: scared.

As played, I've seen more than enough dumb moves, like minraising a flush. But I still think you have to pay him off, as played.

Spurious
06-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd pot the flop and the turn..
Shut down on fifth street.

HugovB
06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I'd bet more on the flop and turn, and I don't think you should bet the river. Who's going to call a 3rd bet with a J on a 3-flush board?

Check and induce a bluff --&gt; you might get value from missed flush draws / Jx that try to take the pot, and you lose less against a hand that beats you, Tx or XhXh

wslee00
06-25-2007, 12:10 PM
he's not bluffing here... no one min-raises the river on a bluff.

maccamack
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT - that's a value bet from everyone but a moron.

TonyRoflmao
06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
such a pathetic raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 14ptBB's pathetic nowadays? There's a difference between a min-raise on the flop and a min-raise in a substantial pot on the river. You should learn that ASAP.

Also don't ever bet that river.

Nick C
06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, though, it would be a very powerful bluff if people consistently treated the river min-raise as the near nuts: A way to steal the pot with high frequency and with little additional risk. Theoretically speaking, anyway.

monkover
06-25-2007, 12:24 PM
yeah prob yes... imo villain was betting way too little all the way! i would have raised him on the turn. he just looks so weak.

CityFan
06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, though, it would be a very powerful bluff if people consistently treated the river min-raise as the near nuts: A way to steal the pot with high frequency and with little additional risk. Theoretically speaking, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting point from a game theoretic point of view. Presumably if villain was bluffing perfectly then it wouldn't matter if you called or folded - the probability of his bluffing would be the same as the pot odds.

However, since villain almost certainly isn't bluffing often enough at this level, it's a fold.

ama0330
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I feel like I want to check the turn.