PDA

View Full Version : Reply from Sen Roberts of KS

TankerLTC
06-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Here is the reply I received from Sen Roberts concerning UIGEA. He throws out the red herring of money laundering but never states what his position really is. Looking for suggestions on how to reply especially about the money launndering.

Thanks.

Thank you for your letter regarding online gambling. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

Provisions that curb online gambling were included last year as part of a larger bill to enhance security at our nation's ports, the SAFE Port Act. I supported the SAFE Port Act because it is central to the protection of America's busiest ports. This legislation allocates grants based on risk, expands planning, and establishes a pilot program for enhanced cargo inspections. These are landmark steps that help secure our nation's borders without compromising economic viability. The SAFE Port Act passed Congress and was signed into law (P.L. 109-347) by the president last October.

Provisions to curb online gambling were included in the SAFE Port Act due to concerns that terrorists could use gambling websites as a means to launder money. While some believe that banning online gambling is good for social well-being and homeland security, others argue that it should be regulated and taxed by the government. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate reopen the debate surrounding online gambling.

DrewOnTilt
06-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Just once I would like to reply back to one of these letters and ask the Senator/Representative/Governor/Whatever to state their [censored] position rather than send a form letter, or if they don't have a position, to just say so.

Punker
06-25-2007, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if they don't have a position, to just say so.

[/ QUOTE ]

They all have a position. Here's the translation:

I will vote the way you want = they agree.
I will keep your thoughts in mind = they disagree.

Erik W
06-28-2007, 05:42 AM
" Provisions to curb online gambling were included in the SAFE Port Act due to concerns that terrorists could use gambling websites as a means to launder money."

LOL
Since the act only prohibits americans from playing does he mean that the terrorists are US citizens and based in the US.

Thought process.
Well, if I can't blame anything else I blame terrorists.

CountingMyOuts
06-28-2007, 10:49 AM
In all seriousness, it is very likely that this money laundering stance is plain old fashioned ignorance on the part of most politicians. When you see some of the politicians now flipping towards our side on this issue after becoming a bit more educated on the subject, is it possible that trying to educate more of them would be worthwhile?

That said, it probably wouldn't help with politicians from Kansas. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TMTTR
06-28-2007, 02:20 PM
What the letter says is:

[ QUOTE ]
It would have been political suicide for me to vote against the port bill and I had no clue what Frist put in it. Remember: we don't read legislation, we just vote on it. Since there is no currently pending legislation regarding online gaming, I don't need to tell you what I think on the issue because taking a position now could only hurt me.

[/ QUOTE ]

TankerLTC
06-30-2007, 11:53 AM
LOL