PDA

View Full Version : First WSOP trip report

Sweet James
06-24-2007, 09:50 PM
What an amazing experience. Thousands of poker lovers gathered together; pros, nobodies, actors, princes, and billionares. The energy and excitement is worth the price of your plane ticket alone. Speaking of your ticket price, you have to be a total nit to not have your trip payed for 10 times over -- even if you don't play the tournaments! At the Rio, the 2/5 cash games are a joke, and even the 5/10 games will make any serious player $2500 a day. The sit-n-gos are easily dominated by practiced interenet players as well.

I arrived on Wednesday for a four day weekend. I played the 3000 limit event and 2000 pot limit event. Although I didin't make the money, because of reasons I won't go into. I feel that these are the best events to play. The fields are much more reasonably sized, and it's easier to get a bracelet -- so you'll almost share a table with someone like annie duke, phil hellmuth, or daniel negranu.

Money aside, it was unreal to brush shoulders with pros- turned tv celebrities, people you've seen on espn daily for the past three years. The first event I played, $3000 limit tournament, I shared a table with Greg Mueller and Barry Greenstein. I bumped into Jesus and Hellmuth on the way in. Shove past by Sklan. Pissed next to TJ cloutier, and stood in line with Jeff Lisanrdro all in the first hour.

It's an elit crowd. Tons of internationals; met someone from every continent. And despite the high stakes of the competition, our common love of poker led to very little friction. Pics to come.

Cactus Jack
06-25-2007, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pics to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh goodie.

Due to lack of poker content, the Russian judge gave this TR a .0000000000001

But, due to the incredible fanboy slobbering, the Hollywood judge gave it a solid 10 out of 10.

No comment on your room?

s33w33d
06-25-2007, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pissed next to TJ cloutier

[/ QUOTE ]

Best part of the report.

jdblacknines
06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
thanks for the info.....

I thought your report was good. Just ignore the stupid comments.

killphilNI
06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Good trip report, follow with more updates.

Do you not think you are overestimating the amount of money to be made though? I won a ME buy in and I'm taking a $4K poker bankroll, what limits would you recommend? I was think 2/5NL, might play 5/10 if things are going well though....

sirtimo
06-25-2007, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best part of the report.

[/ QUOTE ]

did he hit you up for money?

Rainbow Warrior
06-25-2007, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best part of the report.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Pics to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet James
06-28-2007, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pics to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

No comment on your room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite it's four star rating, the golden nugget was a noisy dump. It kept me from getting the sleep I needed to play well because you couldn't keep a poker sleeping schedule (or sleep past 8am in that shithole). Once my two nights there were up I went to the Hilton, a 3.5 star hotel, and worlds better than the nugget. Renting a car and staying off strip is the way to go for a serious player that wants a real nice and quiet place without paying $500 + a night at the wynn or bellagio. My average rate was $99 a night. Just stay away from the nugget.

h one more tip, always bid for your rental car on priceline at a real low price, and if you're under 25 just type your age as 25 to save the $30/day premium -- it really doesn't matter. I ended up paying $13 a day for a brand new 2007 mustang GT hard top ,partly due to another secret trick of mine, but mainly due to the priceline chicanery. It goes for like $80 a day, and I shouldn't even have been able to rent it as I'm 22.

RarocASP
06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Nice report. Glad you had a great time. Though juicy, I do think you're over-estimating the edge in the side games. That or I'm underestimating your skillz. Either way, thanks for the report. Nice work with the mustang.