PDA

View Full Version : Winning while playing 1 or 2 tables, losing playing any more

Beesnuts
06-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Do most people experience this to some degree? I read about people 12-tabling and that just completely blows my mind. I seem to play pretty well when I'm only sitting on one or two tables. I just got done 4-tabling and I couldn't get into a groove at all. It was just a constant bombardment of hands. I'm not able to think logically about the hand when 3 other tables pop up. I found myself completely acting on instinct and I feel I made some folds I shouldn't have and made some calls I should have just let go.

How are people able to 4+ table while still playing well?

Vyse
06-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Practice. I had trouble 12 tabling at first -- I would time out all over the place. Now I can play 12 tables in my sleep,.

Gelford
06-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Log a massive amount of hands, so you build up something you can lean on, then add tables one at a time.

I haven't 12 tabled due to resolution issues and overlap, but I can 9 table in my sleep and wouldn't be surprised if I also could 12 table in my sleep.

At but I too strugled with four tabling two years ago.

automaton_22
06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Takes getting used to. Warm up by 4 tabling for a couple of hours at lower than usual stakes.

Beesnuts
06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
so how are you guys still able to make +EV plays when you only have like 0.00013241 seconds to make a decision?

Gelford
06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Come tho think of it, some actually recommend the tetris method to learn this.

Fire up 8 tables at the lowest possible stake and when you struggled with that for some hours, then four will seem like a breeze /images/graemlins/smile.gif

automaton_22
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
You actually have a fair bit of time 4 tabling. Unless you are loose as hell, you will be folding 3 out of the 4 tables most of the time, takes half a second.

Gelford
06-24-2007, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so how are you guys still able to make +EV plays when you only have like 0.00013241 seconds to make a decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

We make mistakes, but poker is very repetitive and 95% or more of what we encounter are situations that we've been in before (TPTK OOP on a dry board, two overs and an FD .. etc)

So our instinct is perhaps what we act on, but it is still better than the average pokerplayers skilllevel at uNL.

Beesnuts
06-24-2007, 07:34 PM
so what do you do when you are really in a tough spot and other tables start popping up? Do you just time out on the other tables so you can take your time?

Gelford
06-24-2007, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so what do you do when you are really in a tough spot and other tables start popping up? Do you just time out on the other tables so you can take your time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it really has to be a tough spot, but timing out rarely happens /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vyse
06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely get in a REALLY tough spot, but that is what time bank is for. If you're always on top of your tables, you'll always have a lot of time for any decision. Most of the time you'll be folding, or as Gelford said, in very similar situations.

timhardawyhatesu
06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I have the same problem, i can play two tables at the most to profit but as soon as i add any more i lose my mind and spew everywhere.

SpecT
06-24-2007, 07:49 PM
betpot script. rebuy script. table mods

these things are your friends.

edit - also, come on guys majority of you decisions will be 'fold preflop', followed by 'oh, my PFR was called, i'll cbet flop'. seriously, that's what 90% of your decisions will be.

barryc83
06-24-2007, 07:52 PM
bees,

Just go from 2 -> 3 -> 4 etc. I used to think the same thing when I would 2 table. But it really only takes like 2-3 sessions before youre adjusted to more decisions.

timhardawyhatesu
06-24-2007, 07:57 PM
I suck big ones at computers so I cant even mod my ftp

SpecT
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
they're pretty easy to setup. and it's in your winrates best interest to learn how to install them anywayz

jmgambler
06-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I think getting a bigger monitor would help me, I have squeezed 4 tables onto my screen etc with FTP, but thats my limit for now.

I did once 20 table for about 10 mins and lost 20 buy-ins in erm...... 10 mins *cue stupid grin*

timhardawyhatesu
06-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Do they really make that much of a difference in winrates and overall play?? What are the benifits of them that make them so good?

SpecT
06-24-2007, 08:13 PM
well betpot helps u a ton... here's an example

without betpot - *gets good hand* hmm, how many limpers? 2? ok, so that's $2, add $1 for the limper. *types $3* *clicks*

with betpot - *gets good hand* *right click* *left click*

because you can size your bets faster you have more free time to make other decisions. I'd say 4 tabling without betpot is the equivalent to 6 tabling with it. Also yeh i agree with jm, get a big monitor, overlap sux. Oh, and i guess im referring to hourly rates increasing, not necessarily winrates

Worm75
06-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Also helps when you are starting out with it to play a more taggy style, thus limiting tough decisions on marginal hands until you are used to playing on several tables.

Also if you haven't gotten PokerAce Hud spend the $25, it will make multi-tabling and placing hand ranges a breeze.

Beesnuts
06-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I have PAHUD, but I'm not sure how to write/gets these "scripts". They sound extremely handy. How does one go about getting these?

tehDiceman
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
i remember when 1 table was tough. i can 7 table now but i still have a small amount of trouble if im not paying total attention. i've logged about 40k hands so it does take time. when i moved to two tables, i thought i was going to die, then three, then four, it gets a lot easier.

i use my scroll wheel for betting. four clicks is a standard raise. for a cbet it takes a couple more seconds but i've gotten to the point that a couple quick scrolls and i know roughly how much it should be so i dont have to watch the window and go slow.

jessyj07
06-24-2007, 10:43 PM
go to overcards.com/wiki, then go to .ahk scripts.

Shoe Lace
06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree with Spec here. I 4 table usually, and while I don't have any table mods running, I do spend a lot of my time tinkering with the actual controls of the software.

Lots of mouse clicking and tons of typing (bet amounts). If a script existed (which they do, I'm just too lazy to really look into atm) where you can navigate multiple tables without all the clicking, and were able to bet specific amounts using some form of hotkey/mouse gesture combinations it would become a lot speedier.

One thing must be said though. Don't be that guy who takes the max amount of time to act on every turn. This annoys a lot of people. Start playing 3 tables, and don't touch 4 until you're comfy working with 3.

dfkdfk
06-24-2007, 11:16 PM
to the OP I'm with ya man, I can 2 table fine and *should* be able to 3 table but I don't seem to have much luck with it (just gave it another go tonight which ended up donking off 1.5 buyins before switching back to 2 tables and flat out crushing the game)...

I will say that this thread has been very helpful. I will have to consider all the advice here as I'd like to add more tables cus I feel like I certainly have enough time... I just lack experience and at times focus (I guess the nice part of 2 tabling is I can space out a fair amount /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Vyse
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
lololol, I have never used bet pot or reload script