PDA

View Full Version : 5NL Low top pair with weak kicker.. line?

foal
06-24-2007, 11:41 AM
No reads.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $13.42
Hero (BB): $9.84
UTG: $8.14
CO: $8.47
BTN: $2.44

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (5 Players)
2 folds, BTN calls $0.05, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.15) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.15</font>, BTN calls $0.15, SB folds

Turn: ($0.45) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.45</font>, BTN calls $0.45

River: ($1.35) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero ?

monkover
06-24-2007, 11:57 AM
c/c?

foal
06-24-2007, 12:19 PM
check and call if he bets &lt; __ ?

ev_slave
06-24-2007, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what c/c is... it took me a while to figure out too. The reason for that line is because he'll have had a 7 a lot of times... or even a weaker gut-shot draw. He was calling along in hopes of hitting it, but neither the turn nor river could have completed his straight, so he'll likely just check behind you and concede the pot. Sometimes though busted draws like to make river bluffs to try to take down a pot they can't win at a showdown, so you check to him, give him some rope, and if he bets you call because it is a bluff often enough to be profitable.

If his hand was a pair + draw (97, for example) you're just going to have to pay him.

BurnzDK
06-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Bet around 0.90 and fold to a reraise. The only draw I can see is a straight draw and it misses. Dont like the check call here because it gives you a harder decision with a weak holding - bet and let him take the tough choice.
Otherwise the line is fine!

ev_slave
06-24-2007, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see now you're asking for an amount. He only has $1.79 left at this point in the hand, and the pot is $1.35. If he pushes AI here, you'll have to call $1.79 to win $3.14, so you'll only have to win ~36% of the time for the call to be profitable. If he bets any less, you'll be getting even better odds. I'd guess that he's bluffing enough to call even the AI, although I'm not exactly familiar with 5NL. Still, I think it's a call any.

And it might be one of those situations where the AI bet is made only when he's bluffing... he may bet smaller with better hands to get some extra value out of you.

ev_slave
06-24-2007, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet around 0.90 and fold to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's terrible. He might be getting frisky with something like 87. After you put in your .90, he matches it and comes over the top All-In, you'll only have to call 0.89 more to try to win 4.04... you're getting 4.5:1 (only have to win more than 18% of the time to show a profit. If you lead the river, you have to call the raise.

BurnzDK
06-24-2007, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's terrible. He might be getting frisky with something like 87. After you put in your .90, he matches it and comes over the top All-In, you'll only have to call 0.89 more to try to win 4.04... you're getting 4.5:1 (only have to win more than 18% of the time to show a profit. If you lead the river, you have to call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point but - do you ever see a villain on this level come over the top with something we are beating ? In this situation i dont think its about the potodds, rather the fact that we are good only like 5% at the time max!

ev_slave
06-24-2007, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point but - do you ever see a villain on this level come over the top with something we are beating ? In this situation i dont think its about the potodds, rather the fact that we are good only like 5% at the time max!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that beginning players tend to like to slowplay big hands and bluff a lot, so I think you could make an argument for the call.

BotOnTilt
06-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I like the flop bet, but I usually prefer to check the turn and river. I understand that it is bad to give free cards, but so often its hard to know what NL5 villains have without reads. In essence I prefer to fold what might be the best hand instead of making a large pot where I'm out of position with a weak holding.