PDA

View Full Version : NL25: Passive approach with TPGK

Emperor Norton
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($14.75)
CO ($20.25)
Button ($9.05)
SB ($33.35)
Hero ($29.45)
UTG ($24.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.85) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.5</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($3.85) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($7.85) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $7.5</font>, Hero calls $7.50.

Is this generally a raise preflop? I tend to play pretty passively from the blinds against more than one limper, but I suppose it would have made this hand easier to play.

Anyway, UTG didn't have a ridiculous VPIP, so I couldn't put him on two pair on the flop. I felt as though either he flopped a set or he didn't. For that reason I didn't see much point in three-betting, and elected to call down. I was tempted to fold the river, but his betting pattern just seemed really fishy to me. By that point my hand is way underrepped, so I figured that it was a close call. Thoughts?

vixticator
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I would raise this against just two people to get head's up or thin it. If everyone calls, it's still not a disaster. If MP limped too and SB completed, I check. This looks fine after PF. Maybe he has A3 or 45, but I doubt he's miniraising either of those on the flop. I expect to see K8+ mostly. Maybe 22 or 44 but players tend to raise turn instead with those.

HighSteaks
06-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I would raise that pf - if you flop a nice draw it's going to be hard to play OOP unraised I think also, as played I don't know whether I'd call that, I think somewhere along the line he's hit a rediculous hand - 5's maybe, who knows.

Nick C
06-23-2007, 10:01 PM
It looks good to me.

I would prefer if Button had bet less on the river than he did, but it's always possible he's just getting frustrated with your calls or something.

Emperor Norton
06-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I think it's an instacall if he bets like $5 or something. Betting full pot made me nervous, but it also made me suspicious, the way the rest of the hand had played.

crushednuts
06-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I hate two c/cs after a flop minraise. What hands do you beat that would take this line? I can't think of any except a bluff and this isn't really a bluff line. This is way too passive poker. What are your stats on the UTG.

crushednuts
06-23-2007, 10:17 PM
You should never have put yourself in this position. Are you c/cing the turn to induce a bluff? I just don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this line?

Nick C
06-23-2007, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's an instacall if he bets like $5 or something. Betting full pot made me nervous, but it also made me suspicious, the way the rest of the hand had played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can see two ways to look at it. One is that earlier in the hand Villain was worried about folding you out, but now that you've hung around this far he figures he might as well try a full PSB and go for some real profit.

Obviously, that's not what we're hoping for, but the other possibility that I see is that he suspects he's not actually best, but, given that you haven't shown great strength in the hand or anything, he's thinking that maybe if he bets bigger on the river you'll fold.

Emperor Norton
06-23-2007, 10:21 PM
I already explained my reasoning in the OP. I'd like to hear your approach. FWIW, if you narrow villain's range down to sets and KJ on the flop, I'm a bit better than even money.

crushednuts
06-23-2007, 10:22 PM
do you really think he min-raises w/ KJ?

crushednuts
06-23-2007, 10:25 PM
I think I raise the hand PF about 3/4 of the time to try and take down the dead money. If I just call and this is the flop I lead out sometimes and CR others. Depends on the opponent. If I lead and I am min raised I will normally play very cautiously. I would not call down 3/4 pot/pot sized bets w/o at least 2 pair or MAYBE TPTK unless opp is a complete LAG fish. this is suicide.

vixticator
06-23-2007, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you really think he min-raises w/ KJ?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, why not? I think he minraises with K9 too. "I have a King, not awesome hand but let me raise to see what happens. Oh, call. I have the nuts. Let me bet."

crushednuts
06-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I think a min-raise is strength here far more than it is an info raise. Still don't know the stats on UTG so I don't know what he does PF etc..

Emperor Norton
06-23-2007, 10:30 PM
If you consistently read positional minraises for real strength, you're giving your opponents way too much credit.

Now that I think about it, I like a preflop raise, though.

crushednuts
06-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree but it depends on the opponent. I'm still wondering what his stats are..
but if he is weak tight then a min-raise is always strength