PDA

View Full Version : NL25 - 99 overpair to the board; how'd I play it?

greggg230
06-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $20.00
BB: $44.95
UTG: $24.65
Hero (MP): $28.95
CO: $26.05
BTN: $24.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, CO calls $1.00, 3 folds

Flop: ($2.35) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.75</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $3.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.00</font>, CO calls $3.50

Turn: ($16.35) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $20.95</font>, CO calls all-in for $18.05
Uncalled bet of $2.90 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $52.45 ($2.55 Rake)

No real read on the villain. We had gotten into a BvB fight in the last orbit and I'm pretty sure he was just playing back with air in that fight.

LordBrun
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
If you think villain is raising light, make a substantial raise on the flop, the minraise is spew as they say. Without a proper read you should c/f turn.

greggg230
06-23-2007, 12:09 PM
It was actually more than a min-raise. Min-raise would have been to $5.25. How much higher should I have raised?

I only pushed turn because villain had shown aggression in the past; though, maybe that one instance isn't enough to make the move here.

Arp220
06-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure I'd have pushed the turn with an overcard to my pair on the board, and flush and straight draws all over the place... especially when you get that little raise on the flop...

monkover
06-23-2007, 12:37 PM
This is really bad! What do you expect to achieve here? fold out worse hands and getting called by better ones? Well you achieved that. Imo fd made a pretty big part of villainīs on the flop and you are pushing using a scare card that is quite likely to have helped villain? even if he doesnīt have the flush he prob is going to look you up lightly b/c you think heīs playing back at you.

justhetip
06-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm not understanding when you say you pushed turn because villain had shown aggression in the past.
Do you mean you want to be aggressive and take the play from him?
Or did you push to get called lightly by hands that you beat?
Really interesting hand, I think a raise to at least $10 is considered substantial.

greggg230
06-23-2007, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is really bad! What do you expect to achieve here? fold out worse hands and getting called by better ones? Well you achieved that. Imo fd made a pretty big part of villainīs on the flop and you are pushing using a scare card that is quite likely to have helped villain? even if he doesnīt have the flush he prob is going to look you up lightly b/c you think heīs playing back at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comments. I'm transitioning from SNGs and am having to adapt a lot of my game.

I pushed the turn because I thought the king and the spade would give me a good amount of fold equity if he had something like A8. Since my hand is not likely to improve on the river, I thought it was best to get the money in here rather than throwing out a relatively small bet and then pushing the rest of my stack in on the river. Obviously, the alternative would be to just check/fold the turn or fold on the flop (but I can't do that, right?). But, if I am going to keep playing this hand, how would you play the turn?

greggg230
06-23-2007, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not understanding when you say you pushed turn because villain had shown aggression in the past.
Do you mean you want to be aggressive and take the play from him?
Or did you push to get called lightly by hands that you beat?
Really interesting hand, I think a raise to at least $10 is considered substantial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was a good chance this guy was looking me up with something like top pair on the flop since I had been playing aggressively at the table and with him.

I figured if he got lucky and caught the king, that's just tough luck for me, but more than likely that he did not.

Thanks for the advice regarding the raise. I'll pay more attention next time.

evil_ronnie
06-23-2007, 03:28 PM
this is full-on spew for me. i like to call the flop and analyse the turn. this turn is scary so without a read i'm checking/folding the turn and waiting for a better spot.

orange
06-23-2007, 03:29 PM
flat call his raise on the flop. dont 3-bet.