PDA

View Full Version : NL25: Rivered straight on paired three-flush board

Emperor Norton
06-23-2007, 07:56 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($15.10)
BB ($20.60)
UTG ($8.20)
MP ($17.50)
Hero ($46.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP calls $2.

Turn: ($6.85) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($6.85) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, MP calls $8.50 (All-In).

When villain bets this river, I figured that it was sometimes a backdoored flush, sometimes a boat, but that there were enough two-pair hands in his range to make a push worthwhile, especially given that he's short enough to be basically committed. So how's my line?

VayaConDios
06-23-2007, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($15.10)
BB ($20.60)
UTG ($8.20)
MP ($17.50)
Hero ($46.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP calls $2.

Turn: ($6.85) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($6.85) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, MP calls $8.50 (All-In).

When villain bets this river, I figured that it was sometimes a backdoored flush, sometimes a boat, but that there were enough two-pair hands in his range to make a push worthwhile, especially given that he's short enough to be basically committed. So how's my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the preflop raise is marginal, especially since you're not suited. If you think you'll often get a fold from the limper and both blinds, it's fine. But if not, then I think limping here is fine.

The flop c-bet is ok, but if you've been raising a ton from CO/BTN you're going to start getting calls/check raises on paired flops like this.

On the river, when you say that there are lots of two-pair hands in his range, are you including A-x hands that made Aces and sevens? I think you have to discount the broadway two-pair hands unless you have a read that he'd play them this way. I don't really expect him to turn over A-K or A-T here, given how passively he played them up until the river. I guess K-10 could make sense, as he check-called flop, slowed down when the Ace hit, then fired again on river when the K hit. Tough decision without a read on Villain.

Also, 7-x is certainly within his range here, as he could have been going for a c/r on the turn and whiffed. It's definitely good for you that none of the 7-x connector hands filled up by the river.

monkover
06-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Preflop is fine. i check the flop behind b/c cbettign on a paired board works close to never. I wouldnīt raise the river. I donīt thick too many worse 2-pair hand are in his range b/c villain would have bet them to protect against fd and sd

Emperor Norton
06-23-2007, 10:15 AM
"Close to never" seems like a bit of hyperbole. If I were out of position, or facing more than one opponent, I probably wouldn't bet, but in this case after he checks to me I expect a bet to be +EV, though maybe a little thin. The whole limp/call line preflop encompasses a ton of garbage, so I think I make money just taking out the trash.

Nick C
06-23-2007, 10:25 AM
On the river, I think you usually will have the best hand even after MP bets and he'll probably call the push often enough to make it worthwhile.

ben wb
06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Preflop raise is standard, I play it the same to the river, probably call river but it depends on the villain. If he plays trips like this then it's fine.