PDA

View Full Version : A Trend I'm Seeing; Please Explain Overpair on paired board

bored
06-22-2007, 02:49 AM
In looking over HHs in the forum, I've noticed this line coming up.

It goes like this:

Hero has a premium overpair and raises pf.

Flop comes XXy.

Hero checks the flop

Why do people do this? Apparently they cbet their whiffed overcards, but "slowplay" their big pairs on paired boards?

Isn't this just the reverse of betting flops when you hit and checking when you miss?

What are people trying to accomplish with this line? Is it a good idea?

corsakh
06-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Who does this? Names, addresses, numbers.

Lego05
06-22-2007, 03:02 AM
I may be culpable actually. I believe I posted 2 hands like this today.

I do not endorse playing in this manner. You should most of the time be betting the flop as I should be. Call them brain freezes from me or w/e, I dunno.

Fiksdal
06-22-2007, 03:43 AM
OP, this play is not standard.

bored
06-22-2007, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I may be culpable actually. I believe I posted 2 hands like this today.

I do not endorse playing in this manner. You should most of the time be betting the flop as I should be. Call them brain freezes from me or w/e, I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha; yeah I didn't even notice that both posts were by you. I must have just read them one after the other and thought that this was some sort of strategy I wasn't familiar with.

ama0330
06-22-2007, 04:29 AM
I will do this sometimes purely because when you bet a paired board, people automatically put you on one of three hands: Overcards, a PP higher than the board pair, or the low card on the board with a high kicker i.e. (Ax on xyy). What this means is that a lot of the time, you find your villains will read you perfectly and raise the turn repping trips, and one pair cant take that kind of heat.

I check sometimes because I don't like to be so predictable. I'll make it 60/40 bet/check. I find that its also much easier to fire two barrels on the turn and river by checking the flop because vills will interpret your check as overcards/weakness and you can get some nice value out of lower pairs.