PDA

View Full Version : So I have a problem with taxes and I need help.

miami32
06-20-2007, 02:13 AM
So normally I have a friend who files my taxes every year. This has worked every year I've filed my taxes. This year, according to him I had some sort of problem with paper work, he said he needed an extension, yada yada. So I approach him today asking him what the deal is and he is like uh, yeah....

So basically, I have yet to file anything with the IRS. I need to fix this. Two plus two, what do I need to do? I googled it, and look at the IRS site and that pretty much told me I needed to file for an extension pre april 15th. The worst part is, I'm due money back, which makes this situation even worse. I wants my monies!

Am I screwed or is this an easily fixable situations with a couple papers mailed in?

bossplayer
06-20-2007, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So normally I have a friend who files my taxes every year. This has worked every year I've filed my taxes. This year, according to him I had some sort of problem with paper work, he said he needed an extension, yada yada. So I approach him today asking him what the deal is and he is like uh, yeah....

So basically, I have yet to file anything with the IRS. I need to fix this. Two plus two, what do I need to do? I googled it, and look at the IRS site and that pretty much told me I needed to file for an extension pre april 15th. The worst part is, I'm due money back, which makes this situation even worse. I wants my monies!

Am I screwed or is this an easily fixable situations with a couple papers mailed in?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? 'some sort of problem'... can you please be more vague?

Go to an accountant, no ifs, ands or buts considering your post.

crashjr
06-20-2007, 02:40 AM
So you overpaid your taxes and didn't file a return yet? Just file the return. You are not screwed.

miami32
06-20-2007, 03:03 AM
He lost the paperwork on one of my WSOP cashes last year. Which has since been found.

So all I really need to do is file a return and I should be okay?

PokeReader
06-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I believe since you did not file for an extension, correct?
You will be filing late without extension, and will have to pay a small fine. File ASAP. People filing late have greater chance to be audited. Otherwise it shouldn't be a big deal. Be aware, even if someone else prepares your taxes you are still responsible for their being correct and on time.

Fishhead24
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Relax.........just file the extension.

No biggie.

GL,
-FH-

driller
06-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Usually fines and interest are based on the amount you owe. But you only have a certain amount of time to file for a refund...I think until the end of the year.

Anyway, file for the extension right away and then find an accountant to do your taxes.

frommagio
06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst part is, I'm due money back, which makes this situation even worse. I wants my monies!

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have pointed out, this is in fact the best part. File quickly; your penalty will be small, and the IRS will be friendly. You're in far, far better shape than if you owed them!

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-21-2007, 08:34 AM
If you are owed money you actually have 3 years to file. Think about it. They'renot going to penalize you for letting them keep your money a little longer.

Backspin20
06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
lol You see they dont really care if you take forever to file if they owe you. If it was the other way around then a problem you would have. Go buy turbo tax and take an afternoon off from UB.

jasonfish11
06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are owed money you actually have 3 years to file. Think about it. They'renot going to penalize you for letting them keep your money a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kind of correct. You dont have 3 years to file you still need to be done by 4/15. The statute of limitations, for this type of mistake, is 3 years so you can file on 4/14/10 for your 2006 taxes and still get your refund. Just do your taxes and send them in, dont waste time filing for an extention if you will be able to send it in soon, if it is going to take a month or so then I would spend time getting an extention. If you lived in the Tampa area I would recomend someone (my parents do small business and personal taxes very well, and I occasionally help).

miami32
06-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks guys.