PDA

View Full Version : *** How To Make A Video ***

Learning
06-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Well I decided I'd give back to the 2+2 community in one way or another, and given that I'm not the greatest poker authority I'll teach people how to do something I do know. I've seen a lot of requests for a tutorial like this. Here goes!

Step 1: Download The Software

Go to www.techsmith.com (http://www.techsmith.com) and click on the "try" feature for Camtasia Studio as seen below. This will allow you to download the software needed to show your mad poker skills.
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3606/websitemainoo5.jpg

Step 2: Install The Software

This is a really simple process and I can't see anyone needing a more detailed description. If you have issues PM me or post in the thread.

Step 3: Set Up Camtasia

Once you've installed Camtasia, go ahead and open it. It'll start with a window that says something to the extent of "Welcome to Camtasia - you've got 30 days left, etc.". Just make sure the default option, "I would like to evaluate Camtasia studio" is selected and click finish.

The main screen comes up with another smaller window that asks what you'd like to do. The default, "Start a new project by recording the screen" is what you want to choose. Then you'll be here:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4681/camtasiamainxn5.jpg

Go and press the red button I've circled in the top left corner. It will minimize all of your open windows and take you to your desktop with new two windows. The one on the left holds the recording settings, which we will get to in a second, and the center-most right one asks you how you'd like to go about recording your screen. See below.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4310/videosettingson7.jpg

You've got three options for this one, and what's best is up to you. The first option is to record a "Region of the screen". In the picture above I boxed off a section of the screen to show you what that setting would do. In effect, you only record what would be in the red box, and you can set the location and dimensions of the box itself.

The second option is "Specific Window", and this is only a good idea, although the best, if you want to record a single table and no more.

The third option, "Entire Screen" is what most people seem to like to do. This...well it records your entire screen /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. This option is best if you are multitabling and want viewers to see the action on all tables.

Go ahead and choose which setting you'd like to use and then it'll ask you to declare the specifics for each. That is, choose the area of the screen, choose which window, or nothing if you picked the "Entire Screen" option. Then you'll get to a window asking about audio/camera settings. Select record audio and click next. It'll then ask what forms of audio you'd like to record. Click Microphone (not Microphone and Speaker Audio - no one wants to listen to your music /images/graemlins/wink.gif). Don't mess with the advance settings. All thats in there is audio codec/filetype information and having it record at a higher bitrate will only increase filesize. So then it'll ask you to read something to ensure that your microphone won't kill eardrums and you'll be set. The middle-center window will go away and leave you with the recording panel.

Step 4: LETS MAKE A VIDEO!!

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/8692/recordingpanelyp7.jpg

First, make sure the "Record Audio" button is checked. Then you're ready to make your video! Once you hit the circled Record button, the window will minimize and then you'll play some awesome poker that'll be so insightful that Pokey will look average! An average video is somewhere between 20 minutes and an hour, so try to stay within that bracket.

Step 5: Ending/Saving the Video

When you've called it a day and want to stop the video, double click on the blinking Camtasia logo in the bottom right of your screen. It'll bring up this window:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7714/endrecordew7.jpg

Click on the circled "Stop" button (the square) to end the video. Another window will pop up and run the video you just recorded. I recommend watching it for about five minutes to make sure everything you wanted captured is there and that the audio sounds good. Click the "Save" button in the bottom right of this window. Save the file.

Step 6: Making the Video Viewable

After you save the video a last string of windows will come. The first asks you what you'd like to do with the saved file. Click on "Produce my video in a sharable format". Then it'll bring you to a window asking about methods of determining what kind of sharable format you'd like it in etc. Click on "Recommend my production settings" as it's by far the simplest to set up. If you're a video productions guru I'm sure you'll do this part manually, but then again you wouldn't be reading this guide! After you click on "Recommend..." then this will come up:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4758/hardriveyd8.jpg

The reason we're clicking "Hard Drive" and not "Web" is because the majority of users would rather download an .avi file from somewhere like MegaUpload than wait for the buffering nightmare that comes with streaming large video. Click next.

The next screen will ask about what factors are in your video. Click only on "Screen Recording" and "Audio Narration" as seen below.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/179/videopartsbq4.jpg

Click Next. The following section is the most important for the viewers of your video: COMPRESSION! I've learned the hard way that no one wants to download a massive file to watch you donk around at 10NL. Make it easy on those willing to help you by making the file size as small as possible.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9899/videocompress2fy8.jpg

Video compression works in two ways here: Reducing resolution and decreasing file size. Make sure you slide the switch to the setting next to the furthest left. This will have very little impact on shapes as distinct as poker tables and only really decreases the quality of film/art/etc. Secondly, click on the "Change resolution" button. This brings you to a grid where it shows your first frame. Go to the bottom left and click on the tab. Select "752x600". This is my favorite resolution for videos because it reduces the file size by a huge margin, while maintaining a large image. Click OK in the bottom right of the same screen and it'll take you back to the video compression screen you were at before. Click next.

Audio takes up much less space than video and is arguably more important for our videos. When you get to the next screen it'll have an identical slider as before, but for audio compression. I'd set it on the setting next to the furthest left as well. This ensures you sound nice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Step 7: Finalizing and Uploading

The final screens here ask you what you'd like to name the file (something like playername_stakes works well). Make sure you realize that it's being saved in the Camtasia Studio folder in "My Documents" and not in the program files. Click next.

The final screen is just a summery of options you chose. Before you click next, exit out of all remotely demanding applications because the rendering process for a large video (30+ minutes) takes a long long time. Don't be alarmed if it takes more than two hours to finish if your PC isn't top of the line. Once it finishes it'll replay the video as it's been compressed to you again. Make sure you are happy with this as it's exactly what your viewers will see when they play it. Once you end the replay it'll ask you if you're happy with the video. Click "I'm ready to share" and then "Finish" on the next window.

The video's done! Now it's time to show it off! Go to your favorite filesharing site, most people here use MegaUpload, and upload the file. This will take a long long time. Most people recommend doing this part overnight so that you're not destroying bandwidth for others on your network. Also, when you choose the file to upload, make sure you upload the .avi file in the file within your Camtasia folder in "My Documents". The filepath normally looks like this: C:\Documents and Settings\You\My Documents\Camtasia Studio\test\test.avi, where test is your file name.

Once the video is uploaded make a post about it on 2+2 and improve your game!

(Whew! That took a long time!)

FUstaRS
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
This is great. TY

MrWooster
06-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks, really great post.

Chomp
06-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Outstanding post. Great job. This will end up in stickies all over 2+2, so great stuff.

Once I learn how to play poker, I'll give it a spin and share my vast wisdom.

HighSteaks
06-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks man, I'm going into showbiz!!

therealpk
06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Learning, this is a siiiiiick post. I expect the number of quality (and probably [censored]) videos will sky rocket. Remember, 25 NL once you get to 350, and you shouldn't ever have to look back.

Learning
06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks all!

DopamineRelease
06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
OP, this is a great post, thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Once I learn how to play poker, I'll give it a spin and share my vast wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Learning
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Learning, this is a siiiiiick post. I expect the number of quality (and probably [censored]) videos will sky rocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'd really like to happen. It's so much easier to "get it" when you're watching someone who knows what they're doing or trying to find someone else's leaks. I think that if more people make/post vids, the quality of education around here will rise.

Bonesy
06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Good stuff, man. Well done.

Learning
06-19-2007, 01:47 AM
I really hate to see something I worked hard on slip to the back pages.

Bump!

Fishonaquest
06-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Good Post. TY

ama0330
06-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Youchube here I come!!

Hellmouth
06-20-2007, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really hate to see something I worked hard on slip to the back pages.

Bump!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry man, this one deserves a sticky link or something.

Mods can we get a linky to the FAQ please?

vixticator
06-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Nifty, I'll make one for the hell of it.

bored
06-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Nice post; if I wasn't crappy and had a mic I might make a vid.

bored
06-30-2007, 09:38 PM
*bump* I'm not sure why this post isn't stickied esp w/ all the session reviews starting.

I'm going to try it out following these steps tonight!

Learning
06-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bozzer
07-01-2007, 09:52 AM
good bump, I searched for this but couldn't find it.

ciro bonano
07-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Great tutorial. I tried it today, but it didn't record my GameTimePlus stats overlayed on the tables. Does anybody know if this is possible?

relativity_x
07-02-2007, 02:20 PM
yeah, doesn't display PAHUD either.

2mb
07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Turn flicker free drawing in PAHUD OFF (under Options -> Preferences -> Site), then it does display your stats.

skiller3
07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Most useful thread ever.

relativity_x
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
fo shizzle?

bored
07-02-2007, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn flicker free drawing in PAHUD OFF (under Options -> Preferences -> Site), then it does display your stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually what you really do is go to Tools ---> Camtasia Recorder in the main screen to bring up the recorder screen and then go to Tools ---> Options on the recorder window.

You'll see a screen that has a tab that says "Capture".

Under capture options, click "Capture layered windows".

That's it!

Also, I made my video and it came out perfectly (except for the crappy poker playing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) once I got the tip to turn on capture layered windows.

Thanks Learning! (I still think this should be stickied).

robinmbuk
07-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Great thread, unfortunately I didn't read it in time to learn how to include PAHUD stats on screen, will do for next time. Am gonna post my first vid soon... it is rendering atm and taking an age...

Learning
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually what you really do is go to Tools ---> Camtasia Recorder in the main screen to bring up the recorder screen and then go to Tools ---> Options on the recorder window.

You'll see a screen that has a tab that says "Capture".

Under capture options, click "Capture layered windows".

That's it!

Also, I made my video and it came out perfectly (except for the crappy poker playing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) once I got the tip to turn on capture layered windows.

Thanks Learning! (I still think this should be stickied).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a ton for this! I'm adding it to the main post.

EDIT: For some reason I seem unable to edit older posts. Is editing time-sensitive?

LordBrun
07-02-2007, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: For some reason I seem unable to edit older posts. Is editing time-sensitive?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can only edit your latest post in a thread. Editing might be time-sensitive aswell. Imagine if people could travel back in time to change their actions, somehow I doubt that it would be a good thing.

Awesome post btw /images/graemlins/wink.gif

/LB

Learning
07-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Ah, I see.

Thanks a lot LB!

(Btw we need to get started on the session review business)

cprice2
07-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Learning, you did a huge deed for the 2p2 community. Now we will all have a ton of videos to watch and learn from. Well done.

Learning
07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Sticky please?

estoysinblanca
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Just used it to make myself a video! Thanks a lot! Great guide!

dimeetrees
07-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks but my PAHUD doesnt show up in the video? What may be the problem?

It only shows up when I click and player and the stats come up.

EDIT: OOOPS just read the rest of the post, sorry guys.

LordBrun
07-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I cant create the video, comp just freezes up. this video business is really discouraging /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quebecker
07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
thx ! nice post.

Capone
07-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm going to be making my first video tommorw hopefully.

ph2133868789
07-21-2007, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be making my first video tommorw hopefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slacker.

SirFelixCat
07-21-2007, 09:40 PM
LOL, ph (MR. GA...great handle now that I know what it is /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

...this was a great post, btw.

Made a video but gonna make another tonight and post that one. Should be interesting to hear the comments....

phatjeffrey
07-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Does anyone else have a lag problem after enabling the capture layers option ?? the mouse starts flickering and fulltilt becomes unplayable..

DonovanMD
07-24-2007, 03:31 AM
This is a great post, I was having trouble with camtasia and finalizing the videos. Thanks.

Stoneflip
07-31-2007, 05:10 PM
This post was helpful, and the epitome of 2+2. This post was way more helpful than the information provided on the camtasia website! Much appreciated!

SneakyFerret
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
After I pressed stop, a window came up saying "Merging" and it's taking FOREVER! Is this standard?

Thanks for the post too, fantastic.

Triggerle
08-01-2007, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I pressed stop, a window came up saying "Merging" and it's taking FOREVER! Is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this comes up when the temporary file the video is recorded to gets too big. Did you make an unusually long video in a very high resolution?

SneakyFerret
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
yes

Man Our Units
08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I recorded an hour long video which took well over 3hrs to merge and complete fwiw. Just let it keep running and go out to eat. LDO.

toddxlogan
08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread, unfortunately I didn't read it in time to learn how to include PAHUD stats on screen, will do for next time. Am gonna post my first vid soon... it is rendering atm and taking an age...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops. Just fell into the exact same scenario. Oh well, will do next time

OP: Thread is awesome. Thanks.

catcher193
08-23-2007, 06:38 AM
bump, I can't get to the download page

catcher193
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
sorry, website just started working again

catcher193
08-23-2007, 10:00 AM
mine appears to be realyl really sketchy framerate like literrally 1FPS, the audio is basically perfect, these symptoms fit anything I messed up?

catcher193
08-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I guess 2560x1600 is a tough res to capture /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Funkert
08-26-2007, 09:52 PM
hey i got a small question.

When i use the "record window" function, it obv. selects a window to record. But will it record the window and its contents, or just the area of the window? If i were to drag something over it (like a tourney lobby) will it still show up?

spliff
08-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi,

i am using Camstudio, since it is free.
Camstasia costs $299.

My problem is that i can't find out how to make the files smaller: 10 mins = 1 GB, app.

I have used this guide:
http://wiki.showmedo.com/index.php/Configuring_CamStudio

and everything works fine except the size.

When watching Stoxtraders videos, they are 30 mins long and only 300-400MB big ?

Is it because he uses Camstasia ?

I can't find the stuff OP write abount in the end op paragraph 6 for Camstudio.

I record in 1600*1200 (full screen 4 tables), and can't find out how to make another output (with smaller resolution).

Can anybody help - or do i have to invest $299 for reviewing some sessions with my freind ?

jk1986
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm no expert, but you can definately get the size right down with Camstudio.

Reread Learnings OP, its got a pretty easy to follow guide on how to get the size down in camstudio.

In the past when I've made vids, I've also compressed using XVID to get smaller again, as described in a thread in the archives somewhere, but if you follow the op carefully you'll and reduce the resolution a load then you'll definately get much smaller files.

spliff
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I am using "lossless" as recommended by the guide i mentioned above; but the files are still very big.

Seems to me that OP only tells how to use Camstasia; and not Camstudio ??

jk1986
08-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Nah OP def talking about camstudio, take another look!

spliff
08-31-2007, 03:28 PM
"Go to www.techsmith.com (http://www.techsmith.com) and click on the "try" feature for Camtasia Studio as seen below"

He talks about "Camtasia Studio" ($299) not Camstudio (FREE).

The word "Camstudio" doesn't appear in OP's text !!?

jk1986
08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know, I have the program exactly as in the pictures above, have had it for months and never paid..

spliff
08-31-2007, 03:41 PM
OK, the "camtasia studio" ?`

But at the site it says $299, except a trial that shoul run for 30 days (full version).

I'll try it out and see what happens, TY.

Too bad the Camstudio doesn't work - i have spend 2 days on it, lol.

Thanks

spliff
09-04-2007, 07:13 PM
@ jk1986

I really don't understand that.

There is a count down line that says "30 days" when you start the trial version; and it counts down !

I am now at 26 days after 4 days; can't imagine how you can have it for months ?

Can you just uninstall it, and download the trial again after the 30 days period ?

dangerfish
09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
What's your name so I know what to call my first kid?

Thanks a ton.

fozzy71
09-09-2007, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am using "lossless" as recommended by the guide i mentioned above; but the files are still very big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lossless = No compression. Meaning the Biggest file sizes possible. Dont use "Lossless"

I know nothing about camtasia or camstudio. But in terms of video encoding - lossless is not the option you want.

Richard Tanner
09-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Looking for some help on this one. I using Camstudio and my audio won't synch up, it's consistantly about .01-.02 seconds per second behind. At first it's not noticable but over the course of a 1 hour vid, it lags almost a second.

I'm using MCI, and have done things I saw in the Wiki article above, anyone else having these problems.

Cody

Sandviper23
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
So its not really possible to use this for youtube?

Sandviper23
09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So its not really possible to use this for youtube?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I guess I got my video on youtube. It seems alittle blury on youtube, but was perfect clear quality before that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJOKX4RsgE

its a short video of 100NL FR on Stars.

Logun
09-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for this!!

The video codec is TSCC - if I am sharing this with friends where can they grab that codec from? (Or do people do other things to make their vids more easily playable?)

grounder
09-15-2007, 07:37 PM
http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

They usually encode with a standard codec.

Damnredsox
09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
You are awesome!!!

thx alot

Kalledrengen
09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Very nice guide, much appriciated /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a question about file sizing though. A buddy of mine gets his file sizes to be somewhere inbetween 15-60mb, whereas mine are usually around the 70-400 mb size.

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/29121/2001959932553269046_rs.jpg

The left one is my buddy's. 15 min and 38 mb.
The right one is mine, 16 min and 75 mb.

If it has anything to do with my double data rate (datahastighed is danish), then where do I change it?

I've followed this guide exactly and even tried myself to reduce the quality despite my poor knowledge about how to setup this program. Still my files are always around twice the size they should be.

Any help would be greatly appriciated /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perk76
09-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I would like to add this tutorial page that lets you click into different areas that will help with outputing your videos.

There are many ways to edit and produce your videos and this tutorial has a bunch of different sidebars which should help.

http://video.techsmith.com/blog/screencasts/tss/dv/30d30dreorg/CS4Training.html?movie=8

jk1986
09-21-2007, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking for some help on this one. I using Camstudio and my audio won't synch up, it's consistantly about .01-.02 seconds per second behind. At first it's not noticable but over the course of a 1 hour vid, it lags almost a second.

I'm using MCI, and have done things I saw in the Wiki article above, anyone else having these problems.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few standard fixes for audio that gets progressively out of sync like this, you can fix it fairly easily with virtualdub (which is free).
You change the frame rate so that the video + audio lengths match if I remember correctly, but I'm no expert /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Google it and you'll find a guide on how to fix progressively out of sync audio..

Some9
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
bumb for awesomeness

bballwiz
10-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Can we get an upgraded walkthrough for camtasia version 5?

billybeartku
11-13-2007, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we get an upgraded walkthrough for camtasia version 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nemesis69
11-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Good work man /images/graemlins/smile.gif

primate
11-17-2007, 09:04 AM
tytyty

mynameisslime
11-18-2007, 11:00 AM
can u pm me and tell me how to do that

primate
11-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Quick Q. I made a 45 min vid and it looks great. Problem is when I try to convert/compress it to AVI format I lose audio sync and its all garbled. The original file is fine though. Any thoughts?

tannenj
11-28-2007, 03:09 PM
i've gotten a couple of pms about the settings i used for my video (which was an hour long and 153 mb in size).

when the program asked me, "what type of content does your timeline include?" i chose, "my video includes screen recording" and "my audio includes music or sound effects." i found that if i chose "voice narration" for audio content, my commentary came out very jumbled for some reason.

when it asked, "which is more important to you: file size or video quality?" i set the dial at one notch from the leftmost point. when it asked, "which is more important to you: file size or audio quality?" i set the dial at the leftmost point.