PDA

View Full Version : JJ with a paired board

wulfpacker21
06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $19.50
BB: $21.50
UTG: $24.75
villian (UTG+1): $20.05
MP1: $13.20
Hero (MP2): $26.40
MP3: $24.75
CO: $27.95
BTN: $24.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif (9 Players)
UTG folds, villian calls $0.25, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.10</font>, 5 folds, villian calls $0.85

Flop: ($2.55) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">villian bets $2.55</font>, Hero calls $2.55

Turn: ($7.65) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
villian checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>

Pot Size: $12.65

comments on any street would be nice... no real reads on villian just had started playing at the table

z28dreams
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Interesting spot.

Here are my first impressions:

Preflop: He limp/calls. Unless he's very passive, this probably narrows his range to a small pocket pair (22-88), some suited connectors, maybe KT,KJ,KQ, Axs.
Big hands are probably ruled out (AK,99-AA,etc)

Flop: His betting here pretty much rules out KT now.

Turn: Without much knowledge of villain, let's assume he's not going to go for a c/r here and would lead a good hand. The A would be pretty scary to anyone holding T9, and I'm pretty sure JT would still bet for value. If he's holding small suited connectors, he also may c/c flop instead of lead it on a board like that. Ax diamonds that hits this card also leads again

So, overall, I put him on a range like this:
JJ vs
KQ,KJ,22-88,maybe a few more.

That makes you 70/30 favorite, around 2.3:1.

The question now is, with that range, how often is a bet here going to do you any good?

Let's look at this as 2 situations:
vs. 22-88, you're a 95/5 favorite. A bet makes them immediately fold, but a check behind really doesn't risk anything. I doubt they'd fire a bluff at this board.
vs. KQ of KJ you're usually getting a call.

vs. QJ or KJ - you're a huge dog. he's about 90/10 over YOU. A bet will probably never fold someone at these levels that has a pair + gutshot. If you check behind and he misses, he'll most likely check to you on this scary board. However, if he HITS his straight with a J, it's actually great for you because you know have a boat vs. straight.

So, overall, my vote is to check behind.

filsteal
06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
If you bet here, I think he folds most everything you beat and calls most everything that beats you.

I'd check behind here.

And yeah, I guess villain could have some sort of draw, but it's not like we're stacking off or anything if he hits.