PDA

View Full Version : I flop a set on an ugly board and it goes bad from there....

HoldEmNewby
06-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I really hate the way I played this hand. Stats on villain are 18/16/.8 over 55 hands so you we can't really say much with confidence about how this player plays. I've seen him 3bet and call an all-in against a midstack with AKs and I've seen him raise with 33 preflop, check the A high multiway flop and then call a 1/2 pot bet from the button, the rest of the hand was just checked down.

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

Hero (SB): $77.25
BB: $47.25
UTG: $79.39
BTN: $73.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $2.00</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $1.75, BB folds

Flop: ($4.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, UTG calls $3.00
<font color="blue">
Is trying to go for a 3bet on this flop a bad idea? Is a check-raise a better approach? if so, why? Given my perception of villain I really think I should have gone for a check-raise as I think he just calls with hands like AJ, AA-QQ or 88 if i lead, but he is willing to bet these hands if checked to and call a check-raise. I was scared of giving a free card to a drawing hand.
</font>

Turn: ($10.50) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>, UTG calls $5.00
<font color="blue">
By the turn I put villains range largly as an overpair or maybe a combo draw. I think even a passive villain would try to raise a 2 pair or set type hand on the flop. Is c/c the turn best? I didn't want to let the turn get checked down so I felt the need to bet.
</font>

River: ($20.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>.....
<font color="blue">
By river I put villain on an either the nut flush, top pair or an overpair; there is an outside chance of hands like a straight maybe a non nut flush. I want to get it all-in here but I don't see any hand other than the nut flush calling an open push.
</font>

HoldEmNewby
06-17-2007, 03:04 PM
achoo

jld102281
06-17-2007, 03:37 PM
A check is horrible here. I dont like giving free cards on draw heavy boards like this. The only hand I am worried about here is KQ(suited or not). I bet out strong here. If im lucky he has a big pair and plays back. You have a big hand. I like to take to try to take the approach to get the most money in the pot. If he has a big pair and you check raise he can easily fold. Betting out gets the most money in the pot. Sure smaller pairs or top pair might fold and you loose money from them. You are trying to maximize your profit on these hands however. I like to hope for the a big pair to pay me off by playing back than I do in making a lil money off a lil hand that will not give me any further action after the flop. Sets are your bread and butter.

Bodhidharma
06-17-2007, 03:45 PM
If he's raising with hands like 33 PF then I'd re-raise him to 10 and hope to take the pot right there.

With such a draw heavy board on the flop I'd be inclined to bet something closer to the size of the pot like $4. A check raise seems to risky without a good enough on this player.

Turn and river I'm not sure.

NSchandler
06-17-2007, 03:58 PM
On the flop you need to bet out, but bet full pot on this super drawy board. Betting only 2/3 pot here is just begging him to draw out on you.

The turn is tricky. Generally I like to c/c these spots because most hands that you have beat will just fold to a bet anyway while a straight/flush will raise and charge you to draw to a fh. However, it's doubtful he has an 8 here. A flush is possible, but so is an overpair. Although I don't like giving a free card to an overpair with a /images/graemlins/heart.gif, I think you can just c/c the turn and see what the river brings.

As played on the river I'd make a large bet - the only hands that are calling you are straights/flushes/10s/fh's/etc, and all of them are calling a PSB just as often as a 3/4 PSB.

Getting raised would really really suck on the river, as a set would be scared of the straight/flush possibilities, and a flush would have raised the turn. That leaves only fh's, basically all of which you're losing to. &lt;sigh&gt; I guess I'd fold to a push here since villain seems to be pretty passive.

Edit: typo

KRS ONE
06-17-2007, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That leaves only fh's, basically all of which you're losing to. &lt;sigh&gt; I guess I'd fold to a push here since villain seems to be pretty passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's got either JJ or TT?

With so many draws out there how can you EVER fold this?

Are people seriously folding this river ever?

Just cause he has tightish stats doesnt mean he wont felt big over pairs or non iron clad nut hands.

Nick C
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a flush would have raised the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is slowplaying to the river less popular on Party than on Stars? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nick C
06-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Preflop, a 3-bet is a consideration, but I think a call is all right too.

I like the flop lead.

On the turn, I might have frozen up and check-called, but let's face it: There is a good chance you were just against AK/AQ or a pair + Q/K/A on the flop, so although the turn card provides additional ways for you to lose, it's entirely possible you're still ahead at this point. Which I guess is my way of saying I'm not sure what's best on the turn.

I like the river bet.

NSchandler
06-17-2007, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That leaves only fh's, basically all of which you're losing to. &lt;sigh&gt; I guess I'd fold to a push here since villain seems to be pretty passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's got either JJ or TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

or JT, T9, T7

Also, look at stack sizes. A push is larger than a PSB and therefore offering you less than 2:1. I'm not saying it's an easy fold, and maybe I'm wrong, but it's not as simple as OMG FH CALL. Well ok maybe it is, I'm not sure.

Vyse
06-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes, it is that simple. Folding to a push would be criminal.