PDA

View Full Version : Interesting turn decision, 3/6 Live.

johnnybeef
06-17-2007, 09:03 AM
This was my very first hand from a very long and fruitful session this evening. The game is a 3/6 at a local cardroom which pretty much plays into SSH's realm of players. Usually you will get 4-10 players to a flop with plenty of cold calling raises.

I post in the hijack and look down to see Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif after 2 limpers. I check my option, the co and button both limp behind, the sb completes, and the bb raps the table.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif All check to me and I bet. Hijack folds, button calls, sb folds, bb calls, ep limper calls, mp limper folds.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif All check to me, I bet, button raises, bb folds, ep limper folds.

Call or 3 bet? What is your plan for the river?

ELCowboy
06-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I would 3 bet it. There's not much he could have. I would say he probably has a set or two pair at this point. Either way you don't want the board to pair, which there's not much you can do about it if he rivers out on you.

Xhad
06-17-2007, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say he probably has a set or two pair at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so sure he can't have a flush? That said, you beat most flushes so 3bet.

shane88888
06-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I would definitely three bet and call a cap.

I'd bet/call any river card.

At this level, he might be baffled that you'd bet your made flush, and not try and get fancy.

If he has K/images/graemlins/heart.gifx/images/graemlins/heart.gif, then whatever. That's just bad luck. You're going to be up against far worse most all the time.

Xhad
06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you think villain caps and then checks through a brick river?

johnnybeef
06-17-2007, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

At this level, he might be baffled that you'd bet your made flush, and not try and get fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point and think it is a good thing to consider, but he called the flop and raised the turn which usually means monster.

johnnybeef
06-17-2007, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you think villain caps and then checks through a brick river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 100% with AxKh. All other hands, not so much (but then again, I haven't slept in 20 hours.)

shane88888
06-17-2007, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point and think it is a good thing to consider, but he called the flop and raised the turn which usually means monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, though, that at this level live, he might think any smaller flopped flush is a monster. I always assume that the villain is a jackass until he proves otherwise - which doesn't really take that long at a 3/6 table.

jstill
06-17-2007, 12:34 PM
AxKh isnt really in a buttons limping range after a couple limpers very often vs all

u have to 3bet here, for starters his line looks more like protection than value. He may not raise the turn here knocking out everyone imbetween with the nuts (esp since noone will have to call 2 cold with the nut flush draw). Whether u call down a cap, call a cap and raise call or raise cap the river is about a read.

Whether u raise the river depends on whether u think he caps most all flushes on the turn (alot of his range are SC type hands) or whether hed be more likely to assume u have atleast a flush when u 3bet and not like 2 pair (u did just post tho so he may just be playing his 2 cards and cap a flush cuz its a good hand which is fair).

There are a ton of worse hands, but if u raise the river after he caps he should be thinking flush, but once he 3bets u only need to be ahead >50% if 4 bets is the cap and there are probably atleast as many worse flush hands hed play this way as Khxh so a cap seems fine. If 4 bets isnt the cap on the river its closer but not out of the question vs most tardos, but i mite just call at that point.

Ricks
06-17-2007, 12:40 PM
If he has the nut flush he just shut out 2 players on the turn on an unpaired board. This is an easy 3bet/c. If he 4-bets(cap?) I c/c river, otherwise b/c river.

Frond
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I would say most of the time you are good here with your made hand. He may have something like 89, 2 pair or a smaller flush or a flush draw. You have a 7, there is 7 on the turn. He called the flop bet but raised the turn. Did the turn 7 really help him? He likely did not have 77.

shane88888
06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he has the nut flush he just shut out 2 players on the turn on an unpaired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good point which I entirely didn't consider.

PokerBob
06-17-2007, 02:10 PM
3bet the turn. if he caps, check/call the river.

StrictlyStrategy
06-17-2007, 03:09 PM
^^Agreed.

He isn't capping the turn with As Kh HU on the turn guys.

johnnybeef
06-17-2007, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

AxKh isnt really in a buttons limping range after a couple limpers very often vs all

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt it is. I have seen people limp AA in this spot several times.

johnnybeef
06-17-2007, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3bet the turn. if he caps, check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if he calls and the river pairs? same thing? does this leave money on the table from smaller flushes?

Xhad
06-18-2007, 08:44 AM
bet/call any river if he calls

James.
06-18-2007, 09:02 AM
we have the 2nd nuts. why is it a question? hell yeah, you 3bet. if he caps and he's mostly passive, c/c the river. if he doesn't cap or he's aggro, bet/call.

Aces McGee
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I almost always advocate being passive when shown aggression in low-stakes LIVE games, but this is an easy three-bet, and if he caps, I bet/call any river that doesn't pair the board (which I'll check/call).

-McGee

jeffnc
06-18-2007, 02:30 PM
What's the plan when K/images/graemlins/heart.gif comes on the river?

johnnybeef
06-18-2007, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great question because that is precisely what came. You have to bet this I think because of people's inability to fold 2 pair/set type hands.

Xhad
06-18-2007, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if he caps, I bet/call any river that doesn't pair the board (which I'll check/call).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet/calling blank rivers into a turn cap is really bad. This isn't an exception.

About hypothetical river K /images/graemlins/heart.gif ; easy bet, he checks behind nearly always but will often pay you off.

HoneyBadger
06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
*grunch* 3-bet...

Aces McGee
06-19-2007, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet/calling blank rivers into a turn cap is really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he caps a set or a lower flush?

-McGee

ILOVEPOKER929
06-19-2007, 12:57 AM
3bet call down if capped.

Xhad
06-19-2007, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he cap the turn with those hands and then check a brick river?

If no, what does your river donk accomplish other than to get raised as an underdog?

StrictlyStrategy
06-19-2007, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet.

Aces McGee
06-19-2007, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If no, what does your river donk accomplish other than to get raised as an underdog?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see what you are saying. My fault.

-McGee