PDA

View Full Version : 50NL: Punishing a floater

kewl_cph
06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Villian is 41/17/1.4 and a PITA. He's constantly calling my PF raises in position.

I've played a lot of hands with him where I raise a good hand, c-bet the flop and when I still only have A-high on the turn I fold to a pot bet from villian.
I've also raised and check-folded some really gross flops to him.

Finally I hit top pair so I decided to go for the turn check-raise, but when I look at it I think I screwed up the bet sizing. Comments appreciated.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $41.70
Hero: $57.10
CO: $79.05
Button: $117.95
SB: $49.50
BB: $26.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($4.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.5</font>, CO calls.

Turn: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($11.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $11.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $32</font>, CO calls.

River: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($75.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $19.6</font>, CO calls.

Results:
Final pot: $114.95

EMc
06-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Why not just shove the turn?

youngmachetes
06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
yeah shove turn. has he ever floated you on more than one street? if so, i like c/cing down.

Chomp
06-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Why do we want to shove turn? In the hope he calls with a worse A? And if we think he is just flaoting, then surely we don't credit him with an A in the first place?

Wouldn't a more EV line be to call turn, donk river for value, and hope he has caught up a bit or will call with the crappy A/8/whatever that he might have folded to a turn shove?

His widest possible range is {air + worse A's + boats + trips + 2nd pair + fd + PP}, and 6x/88/A6 (hands we lose to) I think are a relatively small part of that entire range. So when we shove turn I think he'll just fold all the stuff he was just floating/semi-bluffing with. Alternaitvely, he might be tempted to call a vb with these hands on river.

Finally, we can fold to a river raise as I think a bluff-shove is very rare at these stakes on this board, so we kinda get to play perfectly.

Chomp
06-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Bump because I hate being floated and never know what to do in this spot.

kewl_cph
06-17-2007, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just shove the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was kinda confused by my own bet sizing on the turn.
I wanted to make a substantial raise so I trippled his bet but it was quite awkward w/respect to the stacks. I got caught up in the action and forgot to think about the bet sizing. I just felt at the moment that an AI reraise would be too much, but in hindsight I would be pot commited if called or raised anyway. I should've pushed.

Chomp
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Could one of the 3 people in this thread advocating a turn push please explain the reasononing to me? I just can't see it. If we want to "punish" him, then surely we do that by getting another vb out of his range...how is that best achieved by a turn push?