PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 9s - 3 bet

DickieBets
06-16-2007, 05:22 PM
This hand has been bothering me - I'm just wondering if there is a better way of playing it?

I had no reads on villian.

1. I've been wondering if I should have even called the 3-bet preflop. Is it -EV calling 3 bets like this since I'm only playing for set value ? It just doesn't seem like you should fold a pocket pair everytime someone 3-bets you.

2. I put the villain on pocket Aces or Kings - for no real reason except that it was the worse case scenario and I trusted he had a hand. I figured that the flop was so incredibly dangerous looking and I had enough outs - taking into account the 50-50 chance of him not having a heart and him probably not being close to the straight if he had Aces or Kings. I was thinking that if I had pocket Aces in that situation, I'd lay them down - so I figured my fold equity was pretty high. I was surprised when he pushed but I was pretty much committed so I called. I don't feel I played this hand very well. Any comments ?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $9.95
BB: $13.65
Hero (UTG): $9.85
villian (CO): $11.20
BTN: $17.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, <font color="red">villian raises to $1.50</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.10

Flop: ($3.15) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, <font color="red">villian raises all-in to $9.70</font>, Hero calls all-in for $5.35
Uncalled bet of $1.35 returned to villian

Paul Thomson
06-16-2007, 05:23 PM
preflop is a fold...if ur calling for set value.

AshleyC
06-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I posted a similar question some time ago about calling a 3-bet preflop with a medium pair and the conclusion was that you generally need 15:1 implied odds to justify calling. The odds of flopping a set are 7:1 but there are times when villan has AK and missed, has QQ/ KK and flop comes A high etc and times when he is good enough to get away from overpair - therefore 15:1 was suggested as a good rule of thumb.

In the case of $50NL that means you and villan having &gt; $60. ie I raise to $2, get raised to $6, so I have to call $4 more x 15:1 = $60.

Antinome
06-16-2007, 05:54 PM
this is true, but I am of the opinion that upper-middle PPs have intrinsic value and can be played that way profitably vs. light 3betters.

of course, since you 'put' him on KK+ (never correct, except in a FR UTG LRR IMO) and you were playing for set value you should fold preflop.

Leviathan101
06-16-2007, 05:58 PM
If you call for just set value, this is a preflop fold. You are OOP, and will not stack him enoguh to make it worth while.

As played, I C/R AI on the flop.

Paul Thomson
06-16-2007, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I posted a similar question some time ago about calling a 3-bet preflop with a medium pair and the conclusion was that you generally need 15:1 implied odds to justify calling. The odds of flopping a set are 7:1 but there are times when villan has AK and missed, has QQ/ KK and flop comes A high etc and times when he is good enough to get away from overpair - therefore 15:1 was suggested as a good rule of thumb.

In the case of $50NL that means you and villan having &gt; $60. ie I raise to $2, get raised to $6, so I have to call $4 more x 15:1 = $60.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the one who responded to your post...i'm glad u remembered the details.

That also assumes a slightly wider 3-bet range but I still think it's pretty close.

One other caveat is that not only must u include the times that the villain doesn't stack off but also the times that he hits his draw and beats our set.

AshleyC
06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the one who responded to your post...i'm glad u remembered the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was a great post, one of the best i've read since I've been on these forums and applicable in every single session.