06-14-2007, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anybody who votes yes is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

What a clever little troll!

TheCutter
06-14-2007, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheBellagioKid
06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] you must be the stupid bitch that voted yes

kerowo
06-14-2007, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] you must be the stupid bitch that voted yes

[/ QUOTE ]

You kind of liked what the priest did to you didn't you? And yet you can't accept what that makes you so you lash out at religion. It's ok, we understand.

Zeno
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
There is a preponderance of evidence that many people believe in God(s).

But that belief is not any evidence that God(s) actually exists.

I believe that I am a God, Master of the Universe in fact. But I demand no followers. I like being unencumbered. More time to zoom about and dust off galaxies and tend to the general upkeep of the Universe.

Some people believe Dr. Sklansky is a God. Personally I have some doubt but perhaps I just lack faith.

-Zeno: Zen Master

Zeno
06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted yes because I believe in myself.

-Zeno: Master of the Universe

RoundGuy
06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I voted yes, just because I think you suck.

wacki
06-14-2007, 10:27 AM
lul This thread was reported to the moderator but I'm going to let it be. Zeno's replies are priceless and it would be a tragedy to delete a response from the Zen Master of the Universe.

RoundGuy
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
It has come to my attention that TheBelliagioKid is in fact -- VEGASNICK!!!

Welcome back, you old sh*t-in-the-pants.

oldbookguy
06-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Interesting considering the aspects of Zen are:
a life of humility; a life of labor; a life of service; a life of prayer and gratitude; and a life of meditation...
So, then who Zen Master are you praying to? Just a thought, no need to answer and do not assume any belief either way on my part from this.

obg

[ QUOTE ]
There is a preponderance of evidence that many people believe in God(s).

But that belief is not any evidence that God(s) actually exists.

I believe that I am a God, Master of the Universe in fact. But I demand no followers. I like being unencumbered. More time to zoom about and dust off galaxies and tend to the general upkeep of the Universe.

Some people believe Dr. Sklansky is a God. Personally I have some doubt but perhaps I just lack faith.

-Zeno: Zen Master

[/ QUOTE ]

BillNye
06-15-2007, 12:58 AM
polltard?

Lurker.
06-15-2007, 07:33 PM
VegasNick,
the only reason you don't believe in god is because he won't let you win playchips.

tarheeljks
06-15-2007, 09:52 PM
what a ridiculous thing to say. as there are people smarter than you who would vote yes.

chezlaw
06-15-2007, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here, I voted yes because I believe in zeno.

chez

m_the0ry
06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
why why why why why does this thread exist.

PairTheBoard
06-15-2007, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't vote because I'm agnostic about zeno. However, I'm pretty sure NotReady is the reincarnation of a little known middle weight boxer who held a 53-42-5 record before retiring in 1926.

PairTheBoard

NotReady
06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

However, I'm pretty sure NotReady is the reincarnation of a little known middle weight boxer

[/ QUOTE ]

Go easy on the crack, PTB, it's starting to show.

PairTheBoard
06-16-2007, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, I'm pretty sure NotReady is the reincarnation of a little known middle weight boxer

[/ QUOTE ]

Go easy on the crack, PTB, it's starting to show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you complaining? I gave you a winning record.

PairTheBoard

pnazari
06-16-2007, 11:57 PM
at this point in my life id say im 50/50 on the issue. i will say that ppl who are 100% one way or the other are making a big mistake.

Zeno
06-17-2007, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chezlaw, it is only common courtesy to capitalize my name. After all, I am a God. And a merciful one at that so I shall not cast you into the outer darkness for your breach of etiquette and lack of grammar skills.

-Zeno,

JussiUt
06-17-2007, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
at this point in my life id say im 99.99/0.01 on the issue. i will say that ppl who are 100% one way or the other are making a big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

MidGe
06-17-2007, 09:14 AM
The OP is, of course framing the question the way it is usually asked by theists. The lack of definition of the god concept allows all sorts of interpretations and overlays that make meaningful discourse impossible and thus reinforce the theist position.

The question to ask id whether or not you believe in an omniscient, benevolent,omnipotent, etc., god, defining the meaning of the main term being used.

In that case the answer to the question, unless you are in total denial of reality has to be a resounding no. All of the evidence of the experience of life in one self or observed in other sentient beings, not contradicted by an iota of evidence, points to a lack of benevolence.

If god is not benevolent then no need for worship or ven worse, obedience, see the Milgram experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment) and its many variations as to why there is something totally sick about this blind obedience to a manifestly non-benevolent authority.

This is the whole point of using wherever possible this clear objection to the evil of a theism that does require obedience, whether out of love or out of fear. [Hence this post /images/graemlins/wink.gif ]

chezlaw
06-17-2007, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chezlaw, it is only common courtesy to capitalize my name. After all, I am a God. And a merciful one at that so I shall not cast you into the outer darkness for your breach of etiquette and lack of grammar skills.

-Zeno,

[/ QUOTE ]
My humble apologies Zeno but no need to set traps for me for we both know that if god wanted us to be grammatical, he would have made it useful.

chez

revots33
06-17-2007, 11:58 PM
If god doesn't exist then your life ultimately ends in black eternal nothingness. Like the end of The Sopranos. Who wants that? So depressing. Floating on a cloud with all your departed loved ones is a much more upbeat ending, I think most would agree.

Oh and also, no god = no morality = we may as well all just kill each other, then kill ourselves who cares anyways etc etc

borisp
06-18-2007, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no god = no morality

[/ QUOTE ]
False

RoundGuy
06-18-2007, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and also, no god = no morality = we may as well all just kill each other, then kill ourselves who cares anyways etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. This is a colossally stupid sentence. Did you think for even a moment before typing it? If so, please explain your thought process. It must be fascinating.

revots33
06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. This is a colossally stupid sentence. Did you think for even a moment before typing it? If so, please explain your thought process. It must be fascinating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, guess the sarcasm detectors are off. Although it's not an inaccurate cliffs notes version of many of the god=morality arguments I've seen on SMP.

RoundGuy
06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, guess the sarcasm detectors are off. Although it's not an inaccurate cliffs notes version of many of the god=morality arguments I've seen on SMP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn. This is the second time in a month I've failed to catch someone's sarcasm in SMP. The problem is, there are those who would post such a sentence, and mean it. It's impossible to tell the difference.

PantsOnFire
06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
"Never trust a man who carries only one book"

-Unknown

And now on a lighter note:

"Let me be clear about this. I don't have a drug problem I have a police problem."

- Keith Richards

PantsOnFire
06-18-2007, 12:01 PM
"Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly..."

- Isaac Asimov

NotReady
06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Augustine, Aquinas, Newton

[ QUOTE ]

the most unimaginative,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Dante, Milton, Bach

[ QUOTE ]

the most unthinking

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Pascal, Locke, Lewis

Asimov was a donk. Psychohistory, lol. An empire will become too large and corrupt, eventually break up, followed by a period of chaos, followed by another empire. What a genius.

BPA234
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I voted yes because you suck.

luckyme
06-18-2007, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the most unimaginative,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Dante, Milton, Bach

[ QUOTE ]

the most unthinking

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with the personal history of each of your samples, but taking you at your word, I'm surprised to find they all fit ....

[ QUOTE ]
who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly..."

[/ QUOTE ]

well, surprised and disappointed. I would have expected some of them to at least not be so despicable. Then again, I already knew that brilliance doesn't rule out a tyrannical nature.

luckyme

Archon_Wing
06-18-2007, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no god = no morality

[/ QUOTE ]
False

[/ QUOTE ]

HU for morality?

Archon_Wing
06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn. This is the second time in a month I've failed to catch someone's sarcasm in SMP. The problem is, there are those who would post such a sentence, and mean it. It's impossible to tell the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, like I said before this kind of sarcasm is not that great because even though many of us think it's ridiculous, it's not really representing a caricature, it could be the real thing!

That being said, please note that replies in a troll thread are 43% more likely to represent the trollishness of the thread, as reasonable replies would not useful to a troll that has no intention of starting an intelligent discussion. You can identify troll threads as they generally ask very slanted questions and offers little or no reasoning and especially no insight. If a mod does not lock it, the chance goes up higher by 68%. And no, I can't prove my numbers, but you can't disprove them either!!!!!1111 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also I grade this troll thread a B. Although the initial post was worthless and not creative, the responses have been quite good.

borisp
06-18-2007, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no god = no morality

[/ QUOTE ]
False

[/ QUOTE ]

HU for morality?

[/ QUOTE ]
Give me 6:5?

Archon_Wing
06-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Crap, now that I think about it, how does one convert units of morality? Metric conversions anyone?

borisp
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
You lay 6 innocent bystanders that are about to die in a train accident to my 5 terminally ill patients that would be saved by one person's organs, obviously.

David Sklansky
06-19-2007, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the most unimaginative,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Dante, Milton, Bach

[ QUOTE ]

the most unthinking

[/ QUOTE ]

Asimov was a donk. Psychohistory, lol. An empire will become too large and corrupt, eventually break up, followed by a period of chaos, followed by another empire. What a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to use people as examples, it is only fair that you use people who have lived in the last fifty years since they have access to the most up to date information.

When you do that it is likely that ZERO out of the top ten thousand most intelligent people of the last fifty years believe specifically what you do, and no more than a few hundred TOPS believe anything close to what you do.

NotReady
06-19-2007, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you are going to use people as examples, it is only fair that you use people who have lived in the last fifty years since they have access to the most up to date information.

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be 150 years, now down to 50. Making progress. Am I bid 25?

chezlaw
06-19-2007, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the most unimaginative,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Dante, Milton, Bach

[ QUOTE ]

the most unthinking

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you do that it is likely that ZERO out of the top ten thousand most intelligent people of the last fifty years believe specifically what you do, and no more than a few hundred TOPS believe anything close to what you do.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a link here with the why people don't trust 'experts'.

Given the vast number of 'experts' you can find a few to support a position however absurd.

Of course they're the few who get dragged out time after time as if they represent something about the subject but all they represent is the fact that you can find a few 'experts' to support just about anything.

chez