PDA

View Full Version : Tax Question: Expense Receipts - Are Scans OK?

TheMetetron
06-13-2007, 04:27 AM
I have a question. I move around a lot. For my expenses I either have a receipt for that specific item or I have the line on my credit card statement (CardRunners, for example). Since I move around a lot, I usually just scan the receipts and keep the copy of the scan on my hard drive. Is this going to be acceptable documentation in the future if I need to prove the expense in an audit?

At this point I still have the originals of most things, but I can't see that lasting very long before I lose them. And I'd really prefer to just toss them out if the scan will be adequate. Anyone know for sure?

TheMetetron
06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Bump?

bekman
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
You should be fine. I am not a tax attorney, but so long as the receipts don't look photochopped or otherwise, the IRS would prefer you bringing a laptop to an audit rather than shoeboxes. Remember, people can fake receipts, too. All you need is to go to Staples and get a carbon copy book.

TheMetetron
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Hmm, weird no one reallys knows. I'm going to do some more research myself and see what kind of answer I can come up with.