PDA

View Full Version : Stars 109$. Marginal preflop play leads into a difficult situation

tinze
06-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I hate every part of this hand. I know my preflop play is marginal at best, but preflop reraiser seems to be fairly aggressive and I fealt I had the implied odds.

Blinds 10/20. Stacks: UTG+1 1320, BB 1600, Hero 1840.

UTG+1 opens to 40, Hero calls in MP with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, button and small blind call. BB makes it 180, UTG+1 calls, hero calls, button calls. Pot 760.

Flop 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BB shoves and UTG+1 calls after long consideration. Hero? There is 3340 in the pot and hero has to put in 1420. If hero is up against two overpairs this is a clear call in pot odds perspective. However, if hero loses the hand, tournament is basically over.

kurtkatt
06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
if u call this pf, this is one of the spots u look for post flop no?

tinze
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if u call this pf, this is one of the spots u look for post flop no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course this is a near perfect flop for me. However, BB push can easily(?) be Ax flush draw. And naturally I would like to push myself, not call a push.

kurtkatt
06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
while i agree that ideally u want to push yourself but when you call this pf u should know u probably never have and FE due to potsize and stacksizes right? while i agree there miiight be a another FD there ( rather from a stupid utg than bb tho, i think he has overpair here alot, some AKdd ofcourse but not nearly enough to fold) i do not think that makes up for enough of their ranges to fold this now.

tinze
06-12-2007, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
u probably never have and FE due to potsize and stacksizes right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most often not. That is true. However, BB shoved 1420 into 780 pot and that is not very common.

If this was a cash game I would insta call this without thinking. In a tournament, it just felt stupid to call my whole stack on first level with zero showdown value. If I fold, I would have an average stack and game would go on.

P.S. I called. BB had AA and UTG+1 had TT. I sucked out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mench
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
this is a standard call.

Austiger
06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
As played I would call. I would fold PF however because this is what can typically happen with so many people to act behind you. The miniraise looks weak, so people will often squeeze, and your relative position sucks. For instance what if you see this flop 4-5 handed and it checks to the OR who puts in a small c-bet. What now? Do you push with 3 more players still to act to win a small pot? Do you call, fully knowing someone behind you might push? It's just a spot you want to avoid.

nath
06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
i think you're looking at two overpairs given the action (possibly overpair and set). So you have 12 outs with a lot of money in the pot. So call.

edit: UTG+1 may have AKdd which sucks but I also think it's less likely to be flat called PF than the pairs

Cornell Fiji
06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
very easy call.

especially given the preflop action.

You are scared of pretty much two hands, AdKd and AdQd, out of the many hands that UTG could be pushing here