PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone believe 100% there is a Heaven?

HedonismBot
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Because I believe 100% that there isn't. I mean, I know it as a fact. So is there anyone that just knows they're going to heaven when they die? Or do you a have a little doubt, and say are 99% sure? Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I know it as a fact.

Really. Care to share the evidence?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not religious and I certainly doubt there is this extra-dimension locus of post-mortem consciousness, but I'm just skeptical enough of everything to doubt true believers of any kind.

billygrippo
02-21-2006, 05:12 PM
nope. i belive 100% there is no heaven.

wacki
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know it as a fact.

Really. Care to share the evidence?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not religious and I certainly doubt there is this extra-dimension locus of post-mortem consciousness, but I'm just skeptical enough of everything to doubt true believers of any kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurn, stop making so much sense please. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

dustybottoms
02-21-2006, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nope. i belive 100% there is no heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing Congress finally united to reign in the president's power, I'm keeping a much more open mind about a possible heaven than I ever have.

JimNashe
02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
You don't need to present facts for something NOT to be true. The burden of evidence is on the proponents of the theory that there IS a heaven. Barring any such evidence, disbelief is the only sensible stance.

madnak
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Atheists who claim they know something 100% really bug me.

bunny
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't need to present facts for something NOT to be true. The burden of evidence is on the proponents of the theory that there IS a heaven. Barring any such evidence, disbelief is the only sensible stance.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's interesting that physicists in the late 19th century accepted the existence of the ether and required evidence for it to not be true. Do you think they were adopting a stance that wasnt sensible?

billygrippo
02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atheists who claim they know something 100% really bug me.

[/ QUOTE ]

fine. i belive 99.9999999999999999999_% that heaven doesnt exist.

bunny
02-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I have much more doubt than this (99%) figure. I doubt all my beliefs and they change over time. I think it's unwise to ascribe this sort of accuracy, since looking back ten years I had a number of deeply held opinions I now believe to be wrong.

I would reserve this certainty for very few beliefs - I am not very certain about most of the "details" of my religion.

Prodigy54321
02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
didn't we already go over this 100% crap?

miketurner
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
It would seem to me that anyone who believes 100% (or 99.999999_%) either way is simply not putting any thought into it.
It's just a kneejerk reaction.

billygrippo
02-21-2006, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would seem to me that anyone who believes 100% (or 99.999999_%) either way is simply not putting any thought into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive put much thought into it. that is the result of my thinking.

i always keep an open mind tho. if new info or evidence or point of view or whatever comes up, i am capable of changing my beliefs

Prodigy54321
02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive put much thought into it. that is the result of my thinking.

i always keep an open mind tho. if new info or evidence or point of view or whatever comes up, i am capable of changing my beliefs

[/ QUOTE ]

then you are not 100% sure....right?

billygrippo
02-21-2006, 09:14 PM
yes, i am 100% sure.

just like i am 100% sure the sun will rise tommorow (it might not, but the odds of that happening are so tiny they are neglible)

baring some miracle or god himself telling me, i am 100% sure there is no heaven. it doesnt even sound the least bit plausable to me.

godBoy
02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
I think the only people who believe in heaven 100% are those who claim to have seen it. I'm referring to those who have physically died - the brain stops functioning and been revived after a short while. These near death experiences are so impacting on those they occur to that it changes their lives completely. I'm not talking about 10 or 20 cases, there are thousands of them. Some of the evidences for belief in an afterlife are really compelling. In operations the patient explains what happened in the operating theater, conversations that were had.
After these experiences the people are less materialistic and more interested in relationships, many change careers and describe themselves as being on-fire. Truly living..

I think that all these testimonies provide reason to believe in an afterlife, they certainly think so.

Prodigy54321
02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
alright our definitions of 100% are much different then.

I mean that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% sure is not 100%

.0000000000000000000000000000000001% might be negligible as far as influencing actions or what not, but it does not mean that it is NO chance.

billygrippo
02-21-2006, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think that all these testimonies provide reason to believe in an afterlife, they certainly think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

i read a very intereting article about what happens in the brain during "near death expierences".

ill have to find it, it was in wired.

but basically there is science going on, not mythology.

Prodigy54321
02-21-2006, 10:00 PM
many people lie and say that god has spoken to them...surely they shouldn't be taken as evidence for their specific god's existence.....if so I'd think the numbers would point to Allah being the true god...and thus you should be a Muslim

godBoy
02-21-2006, 10:08 PM
You would have to look at people's testimonies for yourself.
The amount of testimonies confirming the chiristian views of heaven is huge. And not all hold christian beliefs, in fact many people change their beliefs because of these experiences.

Of course all these people could be lying, but there are many of them.

Copernicus
02-21-2006, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's interesting that physicists in the late 19th century accepted the existence of the ether and required evidence for it to not be true. Do you think they were adopting a stance that wasnt sensible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called the Scientific Method. The difference between a theory standing until it is disproven under the SM and a proposition like "there is a Heaven" is that a theory explains existing observed phenomena and makes verifiable predictions. "Heaven" satisfies neither.

MidGe
02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You would have to look at people's testimonies for yourself.
The amount of testimonies confirming the chiristian views of heaven is huge. And not all hold christian beliefs, in fact many people change their beliefs because of these experiences.

Of course all these people could be lying, but there are many of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many testimonies from other religions have you looked at? Many other religions describe remarkably similare experiences. It seems to be an epiphemena of suspension of disbelief.

Of course, I think, many more christians convert to other religions. I mean christianity is far from the fastest growing religion at the moment. Maybe there is something in that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PastorDavidDD
02-21-2006, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I believe 100% that there isn't. I mean, I know it as a fact. So is there anyone that just knows they're going to heaven when they die? Or do you a have a little doubt, and say are 99% sure? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Because I believe 100% that there isn't. I mean, I know it as a fact."

That type of 100% statement looks like something I would have typed, when I was very, very, VERY young. Oh to be THAT young and THAT sure about anything again (sigh).

MidGe
02-22-2006, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That type of 100% statement looks like something I would have typed, when I was very, very, VERY young. Oh to be THAT young and THAT sure about anything again (sigh).

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am 100% certain that there is no heaven. I know that as a fact also.

Now just so that this statement is not dismissed as a foolish act of youth. First of all, I will define heaven as what my understanding of the term is when christians use it. It is a desitrable personal state of being eternally in the presence of god. This to me would be the equivalent of being condemned to be in the presence of worst than Stalin, Amin, Hitler, or any other of the same ilk for eternity. Sorry, I'll pass. It doesn't fit with the adjective "desirable".

godBoy
02-22-2006, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean christianity is far from the fastest growing religion at the moment. Maybe there is something in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know this for a fact, I know certain denominations are not growing.
There is definately 'something' that makes a religion grow.
This says more of a particular denomination being relevant to it's people.

Piers
02-22-2006, 12:51 AM
I do not believe there is a heaven. By this means there are no circumstances where I would allow the possibility that there might be a heaven to affect any decision or action I might make.

Am I 100% certain? I do not like the use of probability here; I do not perceive any natural way of quantify the likelihood of a heaven existing, and that the exercise serves no practical purpose. Might as well pick any other pieces of fantasy literature, and ask what the chance of it being true is.

PastorDavidDD
02-22-2006, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am 100% certain that there is no heaven. I know that as a fact also.

Now just so that this statement is not dismissed as a foolish act of youth. First of all, I will define heaven as what my understanding of the term is when christians use it. It is a desitrable personal state of being eternally in the presence of god. This to me would be the equivalent of being condemned to be in the presence of worst than Stalin, Amin, Hitler, or any other of the same ilk for eternity. Sorry, I'll pass. It doesn't fit with the adjective "desirable".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't define heaven exactly the way you just defined it, but (since God allows it) I accept your right and free will to define it, and God, any way you want, whether I agree with you or not.

And, based on the general content of your post, I have every reason to believe that you believe you're not young in years. You have the right to define yourself and I accept your definition.

As for me, although I'm not very, very, VERY young anymore...I'm still young in that I'm learning more each year, and I definitely haven't repeated the same year 82 times. I've never even repeated the same year twice. (SADLY, some people close their spirits part way through life's journey on Earth, become bitter, harden their hearts, and do exactly that - in spirit - repeating the same year...over and over and over...).

bunny
02-22-2006, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called the Scientific Method. The difference between a theory standing until it is disproven under the SM and a proposition like "there is a Heaven" is that a theory explains existing observed phenomena and makes verifiable predictions. "Heaven" satisfies neither.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree - I wasnt trying to claim scientific status for the heaven proposition. I was more questioning the claim that you dont need to present facts for something not to be true.

My answer to whether the physicists were being sensible was yes - because scientific theory at that time incorrectly assumed that a wave had to propagate through something. They also suspected light behaved as a wave. Therefore "something" had to exist. I was curious as to how others would answer.

Prodigy54321
02-22-2006, 01:39 AM
I don't think it's "far from" the fastest growing religion...

my guess is that it would be Islam, then Christianity