PDA

View Full Version : Turn play with set in today's mil

Colombo
06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
This is like the 2nd hand of the tournament. Preflop can go either way (raise/call) but whatever.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

MP3 (t10000)
CO (t9700)
Button (t9975)
SB (t9950)
BB (t9850)
UTG (t9600)
Hero (t10000)
MP1 (t10000)
MP2 (t10625)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t225) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls t1200, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t3000</font>, Hero calls t1800, MP3 calls t1800.

Turn: (t9225) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t3700</font>

To those who bet here? How much do you bet? Is this good? Are there any merits to checking in hopes of getting more value from MP3?

curtains
06-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I'd reraise the flop.

Colombo
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd reraise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? The pot seems big enough as it is, and I'd like to get an overcall from MP3. If there was any type of draw I'd be more inclined to raise.

curtains
06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd reraise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? The pot seems big enough as it is, and I'd like to get an overcall from MP3. If there was any type of draw I'd be more inclined to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno dude has 3 bet you on flop, probably means he's not going to fold at this point. Maybe you are right though. But whatever I'd make some normal turn bet.

Hotrod0823
06-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I'd reraise the flop too but as played I think I push the turn and see if the BB calls with his K9.

Patrio
06-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I really like how you played this, just calling the flop is good as there's no draws out there and bb often has top-top here, and you will get him AI on turn, so you want more chips from MP3. On turn bb checks (wooot) and mp3 will check behind too most likely, so betting here is manditory. Your bet is good as it puts mp3 in a tough position with "zomg pot odds"

and ofc you are stacking off here in the bazzzillion

adanthar
06-10-2007, 04:56 PM
why is the money not going towards the center of the table

Colombo
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd reraise the flop too but as played I think I push the turn and see if the BB calls with his K9.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you're just generating maximum FE from MP3 while acknowledging that we are going to stack BB anyway.

curtains
06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you're just generating maximum FE from MP3 while acknowledging that we are going to stack BB anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget these guys are really bad. He could have just a king and never fold no matter what, unless an ace comes on the turn for example. There are strange things that can go wrong on the turn, meanwhile you aren't guaranteed action from MP3. I'm just being devil's advocate, the more I think about it the more I think calling the flop 3 bet is ok.

NoahSD
06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I think MP3's not really gonna respond very differently to a shove or a call. I mean.. he should be overcalling really tightly there because the action before him is really strong. If he's the type of player who's overcalling pretty loosely, he's probably the type of player who's calling a shove pretty loosely. Also obv the times you him to call a shove are worth way more than the times you get him to overcall the 1800.

registrar
06-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Gotta love the million. I like this all the way to be honest. BB surely has to looking to check-raise and MP3 appears too stupid to realise this. We're not looking for a way to fold a set, presumably, and so give BB some rope and let MP3 put some more chips in. I'd probably bet less on the turn, however, if this is the point.

Colombo
06-10-2007, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think MP3's not really gonna respond very differently to a shove or a call. I mean.. he should be overcalling really tightly there because the action before him is really strong. If he's the type of player who's overcalling pretty loosely, he's probably the type of player who's calling a shove pretty loosely. Also obv the times you him to call a shove are worth way more than the times you get him to overcall the 1800.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really good post and I agree. The only thing that makes this difficult is that if he overcalls the 1800 he may put more money in on later streets.

nath
06-10-2007, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really like how you played this, just calling the flop is good as there's no draws out there

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong, he wants to get it in, why aren't you getting it in? It's the million, he calls with king jack.

NHFunkii
06-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I think he's more likely to get it in with KJ if you call the flop though. I have no idea why you didn't shove the turn.

Colombo
06-10-2007, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's more likely to get it in with KJ if you call the flop though. I have no idea why you didn't shove the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think alot of people say "omg he went all in i cant call that!" but they will gladly call a smaller bet while completely disregarding the future river action. Then they will call the river getting like 6.5-1. I could be totally wrong though. I used to push the turn all of the time but I've changed my game to try to spread my bets across all streets.

registrar
06-10-2007, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because MP3 can often fold to a shove, but never to a small bet. I'm presuming that BB has two pair and isn't folding evah.

Edit: but as I said if I'm not shoving the turn, I'm betting less.

bigbabyjesus
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I think this hand is played fine. Reraising the flop is always an option but there's nothing wrong with slowplaying and going for more value.

Kala1928
06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Its rather too optimistic to try and stack 'em both by betting 1/3 pot. MP3 seems to be in love with his hand anyway so he isnt probably going to fold to a turn shove, neither is BB. I like the flop call (obviously MP3 overcalling was just something extra, not something hero had in mind) since BB should be leading turn often and then you can just shove it. But c'mon "ill give them huge odds to draw". What sort of draws do you think they are calling a K94r flop with? Just bet 5k+ on turn and let them hang themselves.