PDA

View Full Version : 5 NL set of 6s, do i donk bet this flop??

Backinblue
06-10-2007, 01:15 AM
How do you guys think I played this hand??

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $9.69</font>
BB: $6.51
UTG: $4.86
CO: $7.05
BTN: $10.07

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.15</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to BB

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.45) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($0.45) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.40</font>, BB calls $0.40, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.80</font>, Hero calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

<font color="black">River:</font> ($2.85) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">CO bets $0.50</font>, Hero calls $0.50, BB folds

Pot Size: $3.85 ($0.15 Rake)

vixticator
06-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Checking isn't too bad on the flop, it depends what kind of player CO is really. I'd expect one of the two to bet here 80%+ of the time unless both are quite passive, which is possible. After c/r failed and spade hit I think you played fine.

South Pole
06-10-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd reraise pre-flop because I don't want more than one caller for the flop with a small pair. That way you might even win the pot before the flop - and OK if you get a caller you can more easily put him on a hand like pocket pair or AK-AJ.

But the more significant error IMO is the lack of a bet on the flop. You must bet the flop or villain(s) get a freebie (villain could be drawing to a flush with two spades on the board). You shouldn't dunk I think but build the pot and draw him in again on the turn.

Nottom
06-10-2007, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd reraise pre-flop because I don't want more than one caller for the flop with a small pair. That way you might even win the pot before the flop - and OK if you get a caller you can more easily put him on a hand like pocket pair or AK-AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice much at all. With a small pair you don't really care much about how many people are in the pot with you since you aren't looking to win unimproved. re-raising will often either win you a small pot now or face you with a 3-bet you can't call. Your post-flop potential is much higher than that.

As for post-flop, I like a "donk" on the flop (although I don't really think donk-bet is as applicable a term in NLHE as LHE.) The board has some draw potential, and its not too unlikely that someone hit that K. With that in mind, Bet-3bet seems better here than trying for a c-raise.

South Pole
06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice much at all. With a small pair you don't really care much about how many people are in the pot with you since you aren't looking to win unimproved. re-raising will often either win you a small pot now or face you with a 3-bet you can't call. Your post-flop potential is much higher than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re your comments:-

1) What's wrong with winning a small pot?
2) If you raise as I suggest you probably force the BB out of the pot and then you're probably winning the hand <u>without improvement</u> (although it's not easy OOP).
3) If you don't raise then because two others are seeing the flop you're folding eight times out nine - (a) you didn't make trips and (b) there's now a strong chance of at least one opponent making a higher pair.
4) If you get reraised then you can fold without too much damage.

ImprovinNewbie
06-14-2007, 10:41 AM
even if you were beat you got away SUPER cheap. minraise on the turn and a .5 bet into almost 3 on the river.... you have ot call. you could have bet the flop and still habve taken this line.

Baintz
06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
South Pole, this is 5NL. Reraising with 66 can not be good at this level. Most opponents just aren't going to fold there AJ, QJs, and your left playing a small pair OOP where most opponents will not lay down top pair.

Calling preflop for set value is fine. It's easy to get away from when you don't hit, and by calling you encourage BB to call, thus increasing your implied odds.

Regarding your point 4, you say if you get reraised (4-bet) it's an easy fold. Most opponents at this level will only do so with AA, KK, and if you just call and hit your set, you will stack them the vast majority of the time. Why waste that opportunity by 3-betting?

As you move up in limits, the reraise pf has merit, but I can't see it being a long term winner at 5NL.