PDA

View Full Version : What is villain folding here on the river?

Shoe Lace
06-10-2007, 12:47 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($3.25)
Hero ($5.59)
MP ($3)
Button ($0.99)
SB ($3.01)

Preflop:
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.06</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.09, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.04.

Flop: ($0.32) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $0.08</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, MP calls $0.22.

Turn: ($0.92) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.65</font>, MP calls $0.65.

River: ($2.22) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: $4.22

My cards do not matter, but I'm curious as to what you put MP on to fold here.

My read on villain is he was quite loose, but pretty inline with raises preflop. He would call a lot of them (nearly impossible to put on a range), but rarely ever repopped.

Here's my thought process through out the hand:

Pre-flop-&gt;
I'm raising XX because it's a reasonable hand to raise pre flop. When he pops me, I instantly put him on a range. This range is TT+, and maybe AKs.

I call him because my hand is not strong enough to repop again vs that range, but it's a hand that's playable postflop.

Flop-&gt;
I check the flop as you can see. I'm basically letting him draw to a flush for free. I figure there's a chance I'm not good here, but his bet was so weak.

His weak bet set off alarms in my head. At the time I thought he had 2 big overs (AKc/AQc), and 2 clubs. He wanted to draw cheap, so I didn't allow that. I raised him, and he called after a little bit of tanking.

Turn-&gt;
When the turn doesn't bring the flush I figure there's no possible way he has ?x 8x here. Could he really pop me preflop with like A8? Unlikely. Since the flush didn't hit, I figured I was good.

So I led out about 70% of the pot. If he was on a flush draw given his stack I'm pretty sure he would fold. To my surprise he called. At this point I'm convinced he didn't have the flush draw. Probably an overpair (but it still makes no sense, why would he bet so weak with a big overpair on the flop knowing it's possible I could be drawing to a flush).

River-&gt;
It completes the flush. I lead out to put him AI basically, and he folds. What the heck is he folding here? Obviously it's not a flush. I don't think he's capable of folding 2nd bet or 3rd best flush, and his turn play doesn't make the flush seem likely.

I also don't think he has QQ+ because I highly doubt he folds it. This leads me to believe he really did have something like A8, maybe with the Ac. I cannot think of anything else. What do you guys think?

Btw I would NEVER play the hand the way I did usually (I'll post my hand later if you want). It's probably spew 90% of the time, but given the situation instead of doing the weaktight move I'd normally do (and fold the flop), I played a more high variance route based on reads alone.

Ninja edit:
If someone is bored enough to look at my previous posts and you're wondering why I'm playing NL2 a year after I initially started, I stopped for a long time, withdrew everything, and decided to start up again the other day and work my way up.

I'm still a pretty big newbie, but I'm not bad enough to be at these limits for a year+. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

vixticator
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Overcards.

Wooden Ta Sheng
06-10-2007, 01:15 AM
It doesn't matter what he's folding on the river; it matters what he is calling or raising with. If your cards don't matter, then I would think you wouldn't be concerned with what he's folding, only that he is.

Shoe Lace
06-10-2007, 01:27 AM
I omitted my cards because I don't think it applies to what I'm seeking. I made a pretty questionable move with a hand that should not have been played that strong. Under normal circumstances I'd say my play was massive -EV.

Rather than sway the topic to how stupid I played my hand, I wanted to know what range villain folds here (that is why I left my hand out).

Wooden Ta Sheng
06-10-2007, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I omitted my cards because I don't think it applies to what I'm seeking. I made a pretty questionable move with a hand that should not have been played that strong. Under normal circumstances I'd say my play was massive -EV.

Rather than sway the topic to how stupid I played my hand, I wanted to know what range villain folds here (that is why I left my hand out).

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know how questionable or -EV your move was BECAUSE you omitted your cards. With that being said, how can one sway the topic toward how stupidly you played the hand if we don't know what you had?