PDA

View Full Version : What are the 14 states that are out?

Lostit
06-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Does anyone have a complete list of the 14 states that already prohibit poker and would opt out under any new legislation?

I know Louisiana is one, what are the others?

Thanks

oldbookguy
06-09-2007, 10:02 PM
List from AOL / World wide winner as follow:
Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Vermont

See For All details:
http://www.worldwinner.com/cgi/legal/terms.html
http://zone.msn.com/en/support/billing/playforcashhelp.htm

NOTICE the second link zone.msn....... That takes you to the actual site, World wide winner

Both MSN & AOL use WWW. Yahoo! uses a different company, I believe this one lists 16 states.

As you can see, Poker is NOT illegal if these games are not illegal, lol.

So.... the question is, who is playing who and why......

obg

Lottery Larry
06-09-2007, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Arizona, Connecticut,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, both of these states have poker rooms legally. How is poker illegal there?

Oh, we're just talking online poker, aren't we?

Drakkhim
06-09-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm watching the news out of Steubenville/Wheeling and I'm elated that the bill passed. The Ohio Valley is just dead right now with jobs and money. I live in Moundsville, which is 15 minutes south of the Downs. I haven't had the opportunity to play live and now a room is going to be next door to me. Ground will be broken Monday morning to build a two floor building. The entire first floor is going to be dedicated to poker with the second for everything else. They are also going to start a mass hiring process for dealers and other personnel on Monday. What a great victory for this area.

Lottery Larry
06-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I think you posted this in the wrong thread

KEW
06-09-2007, 11:22 PM
This is the list of states banned by the Prima network for having state laws specific to online gambling..

DOES NOT ALLOW ALL US PLAYERS:
This site does not accept players from the states of Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, and Wisconsin.

The list above is for:

The rules governing sweepstakes, contests, and tournaments with entry fees and/or prizes are set up by each individual state, not by the federal government.......

None of these lists indicate what states would "opt out" should the IGREA pass..

Lostit
06-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Weird that Florida would be listed in the second post, especially with all the B&M rooms they have, and Wexler's bill.

ImsaKidd
06-10-2007, 01:09 AM
I have a feeling a lot of these states would opt in if they got taxes.

jschaud
06-10-2007, 01:30 AM
posted this in another thread. I think this may be more accurate on which states are explicitly out.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Law-Summary/

it seems somewhat up to date as it mentions washington's law from last year.

Vern
06-10-2007, 08:36 AM
NY is illegal to be the house, not the player. I agree with Ima, if it becomes a domestic tax cash cow, states will be unlikely to opt out.

Casey333
06-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Think Nevada may change their minds...LOL

oldbookguy
06-10-2007, 09:32 AM
The question asked was; Which States are banned under SKILL GAMING?

To help understand if you use PayPal, read the TOS there, Skill Gaming Wagering is FUNDED but they make exception to Poker. Paypal FUNDS AOL, MSN & Yahoo! Skill Gaming banning it in the 14 STATES Listed!

You must first use the premise, poker is SKILL, not chance, the states listed ban skill and any kind of online wagering.

Our fight is to get poker treated the same as Solitaire, it is really that simple, UIGEA be danged, it would not effect poker rather place it under the same regulations as solitaire.

You are looking at games of chance, I.E. Washington State Law.

PLEASE, go to the sites, AOL, MSN, Yahoo! and actually READ the terms of service and WHY these card games are allowed and under the RULES they opperate under ONLY these 14 STATES are not allowed.

The 14 LISTED STATES ARE ACCURATE relating to SKILL WAGERING on the Internet per the U. S. Company running the site, World Wide Winner and they have never been prosecuted.

Games listed as SKILL: Solitaire, Hearts, Spades, Free Cell, Backgammon, and others.

My premise: If solitaire is skill then poker fits this same catagory, skill. Both require ability and skill plays no less a role in poker than solitaire as both are random deals of a deck of cards.

Geesh........

obg

TheEngineer
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

To help understand if you use PayPal, read the TOS there, Skill Gaming Wagering is FUNDED but they make exception to Poker. Paypal FUNDS AOL, MSN & Yahoo! Skill Gaming banning it in the 14 STATES Listed!

You must first use the premise, poker is SKILL, not chance, the states listed ban skill and any kind of online wagering.

Our fight is to get poker treated the same as Solitaire, it is really that simple, UIGEA be danged, it would not effect poker rather place it under the same regulations as solitaire.

PLEASE, go to the sites, AOL, MSN, Yahoo! and actually READ the terms of service and WHY these card games are allowed and under the RULES they opperate under ONLY these 14 STATES are not allowed.

The 14 LISTED STATES ARE ACCURATE relating to SKILL WAGERING on the Internet per the U. S. Company running the site, World Wide Winner and they have never been prosecuted.

Games listed as SKILL: Solitaire, Hearts, Spades, Free Cell, Backgammon, and others.

My premise: If solitaire is skill then poker fits this same catagory, skill. Both require ability and skill plays no less a role in poker than solitaire as both are random deals of a deck of cards.

Geesh........

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that, if solitaire is considered to be a game of skill, then poker SHOULD be considered a skilled game under the laws of these states. It doesn't mean it will, as we all know. We should work toward this, of course. One (of many) way to this is for all of us to strongly support SPGA (the Skill Game Protection Act, i.e., the Wexler poker bill). SPGA defines poker is "skill" under federal law. States will still be able to ban it, but most do not currently banned games defined as "skill", as you noted.

tourney guy
06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Ithink AZ and Conn allow INDIAN gaming only.

oldbookguy
06-10-2007, 11:35 AM
NOTE: I cannot say more, but this SKILL GAMING is being looked at as a LEGAL challenge to enforcement of Poker Ban but can say no more and no, not that current case in N.J.

Exactly Engineer, though I see no reason to actually need it Goodlatte makes good and introduces legislation to amend the Wire Act and place these games under it as well and IF the DoJ / USAO would follow the court rulings.

Somewhere somehow poker is NOT being included here and I do not know why, must be a DoJ THREAT is all I can think of since they insist the Wire Act covers everything even though courts have ruled differently, a mantra of the current administration; the courts are wrong and we are right so to hell with them.

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Geesh........

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that, if solitaire is considered to be a game of skill, then poker SHOULD be considered a skilled game under the laws of these states. It doesn't mean it will, as we all know. We should work toward this, of course. One (of many) way to this is for all of us to strongly support SPGA (the Skill Game Protection Act, i.e., the Wexler poker bill). SPGA defines poker is "skill" under federal law. States will still be able to ban it, but most do not currently banned games defined as "skill", as you noted.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheEngineer
06-10-2007, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this SKILL GAMING is being looked at as a LEGAL challenge to enforcement of Poker Ban but can say no more and no, not that current case in N.J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm aware of some court challenges, and I assume there are few about which I've not heard....I wish everyone invoved in these suits the best in getting poker declared the game of skill that it is.

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly Engineer, though I see no reason to actually need it Goodlatte makes good and introduces legislation to amend the Wire Act and place these games under it as well and IF the DoJ / USAO would follow the court rulings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the political reality is that we need to show our strength in Washington, not necessarily to get what we want, but to keep it. A great example is where we "won" the WTO victory, only to have it snatched away by unilateral Executive Branch action. Had we demonstrated strong support for our position earlier, we may have had a better result.

It seems the feds will pester us no matter what, until WE get legislation in our favor.

Seems we have a few fronts in our battle. The legislative one, the judicial one, and the war of public opinion.

oldbookguy
06-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Has anyone seen this bill? I cannot find it anyplace.

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Geesh........

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

permafrost
06-10-2007, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone seen this bill?

[/ QUOTE ] sKILL BILL (http://pokerplayersalliance.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/110-_wexler_001_poker_final-2.pdf)

TheEngineer
06-10-2007, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone seen this bill?

[/ QUOTE ] sKILL BILL (http://pokerplayersalliance.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/110-_wexler_001_poker_final-2.pdf)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your opinion of this bill?

oldbookguy
06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
If new legislation is needed then THIS is it.

Frank's bill got the interest moving, this should be the river card we are looking for, though I still contend no additional legislation is needed.

Overall, an A.

obg