PDA

View Full Version : $25NL (6-Max). AQ preflop

yntm3
06-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I believe this might be a leak in my game. I am a little unsure how to play in this spot with hands like AT-AQ (even AK) and 88-99. The initial raiser hasn't been out of line. I have a huge sample on him and he is raising about 14%. Maybe a little less from EP in a case like this. The caller just sat and have not played any pots with him thus far.

What should we do here and what basic strategy are we bringing to the flop? Also, some general advice on the above mentioned trouble hands would be really good also. Even heads up pots (when no one else calls) give me a hard time when I am in the blinds.

I hate being OOP!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($34.50)
MP ($24.99)
CO ($24.51)
Button ($24.86)
SB ($15.10)
Hero - BB ($38.39)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.85, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, hero??

Thanks gang.

derek luv
06-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I would say just call. Wouldn't raise because you don't really want to play a huge pot with A-Q OOP. Folding would be ridiculous, you've already put money in the pot and your AQ could very well be good here.
On the flop if I hit I would be inclined to lead out but am not really sure it depends a lot on the texture of the flop.

yntm3
06-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Okay great thanks. Any other insights?

TIGERsrm
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
First may I just say how much I love your Avatar.

I disagree with derek, folding is far from ridiculous. This is a very tricky hand to play OOP and against a tight EP raiser's range u are likely in bad shape. Folding is DEFINATELY an option especially if you lack experience. I toss AJ here for sure.

Calling is okay though you have to be careful, I wouldnt want to play a big pot on a A or Q high flop.
I think I prefer Re-raising to calling here as you'll have much more information and might get it HU or take it down pf. Not sure though, look forward to more comments.

yntm3
06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Haha yep - Tiger is the champ of all champs. Dedicated and self-disciplined. My idol.

I elected to fold because I still do not consider myself the best post flop player and I felt the initial raiser was solid and wouldn't make it easy for me OOP.

The problem to me is, if I call and flop an A or Q am I going to want to bet out or just call his c-bet and hope for a show down? The latter may under represent my hand (which may be a head) and entice more aggression from villain. Seems difficult.

Still interested to hear more views.

sharpie
06-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I would call PF. I think we have enough of a hand in the BB against a 14% HJ raiser and coldcaller. Don't really want to build a pot by 3 betting OOP.

What to do if we hit depends on the texture. If it's dry I'm letting them keep the lead.

TIGERsrm
06-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Basically playing OOP really really sucks and there is no easy answer as to whether to lead out or C/C or C/raise.
I would consider aggression factor of opponents, board texture and my image before deciding my play.
A simple guideline would be the more aggressive your opponents, the less likely you should be to lead out and the more draw heavy the board, the more likely you should be to lead out. Of course there are exceptions like if the board came 10dJdQd, very draw heavy but check folding would be best.