PDA

View Full Version : the consequences of rewarding hard work over a good job.

Prodigy54321
06-09-2007, 06:13 AM
I was out last night to dinner with a friend, his girlfriend, and her friend...

when it came time to pay, I picked up the check because it was my freind's birthday...

the waitress stuttered a bit and was awkward when getting our plates and such...shuffling around the table so that she wouldn't have to reach over us and apologizing eventaully for reaching over us.

she was very polite, but awkward...something which I don't mind at all, but prompted the two girls at the table to comment that thought something is wrong with her...that she was socially awkward.

She did quite a good job by my standards, asking us frequently if we would like anything else and what not, but the attitudes of the two girls that where there indicated that I don't think they would agree and wouldn't give her a good tip...and I think that may be the case for a lot of people who had her as a waitress.

I wound up tipping her about 25%..I tip pretty generously most of the time anyway, and I don't go out often, but I thought she also gave it her best effort, which I like...

so the question is...is it a disservice to this woman (or anyone for that matter) to reward good intent rather than what would generally be considered a better job?

this little story and question is obviously pretty inconsequential, but it got me thinking about how "hard work" or good intent is rewarded sometimes over actually being successful in a task...does this hurt the development of people over time?

StayHungry
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
What are you gonna do about it? tip nervous waiters and the like, then talk to their superiors about their social disorders? it's just another middle class nitty thing that won't get solved. i would worry more about my friends saying their waiter has "social problems", id probly inquire about that if anything.

Prodigy54321
06-09-2007, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you gonna do about it? tip nervous waiters and the like, then talk to their superiors about their social disorders? it's just another middle class nitty thing that won't get solved. i would worry more about my friends saying their waiter has "social problems", id probly inquire about that if anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have just left this expreience out, but it is what made me start thinking about he more general question at the end...

does getting rewarded for working hard or trying your best (usually as a child) hurt a person's overall development and ability to actually do a good job?..maybe this should have gone in the psychology forum.