PDA

View Full Version : If God exists

Toffler
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
and has the attributes normally attributed to him, then why does modern medicine work? Why even see a doctor? If the Lord does not want you to die from colon cancer, then you will not die from colon cancer. If the Lord wants you to die from colon cancer then you will die from colon cancer.

If the above is true, why is there benefit from sceening colonoscopies? Why do people who eat plenty of vegetables and avoid obesity have less colon cancer? Do the patient populations just happen to sort into those the Lord wants to die from colon cancer and those he does not? Why would a Christian sue a physician who ignored rectal bleeding and anemia letting a cancer grow until it was not curable? Why would someone suffer because a physicin did nothing (no direct harm or help)? Is not this sort of thing not in God's hands?

Toffler

kerowo
06-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Mysterious ways, ldo.

mugatu668
06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
god is testing us ldo

Max Raker
06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Maybe medicine really does nothing, but has been running REALLY hot the past 2000 years?

btmagnetw
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
puny minds can't comprehend, like, not ready, obviously

Matt R.
06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
I'll try to give a serious response.

You are assuming that if God exists, he must "control" everything. This does not follow from God existing and possessing the attributes normally given to him.

It is clear (well, at least from my point of view) that I have some control over things. So, if God exists, he seems to "let things be" at least sometimes. If a patient has cancer, he has some control over what treatment he receives. If a doctor treats a patient, the doctor has some control over how well the patient progresses.

If God (as commonly thought of) exists and he chooses for a person to die right then and there, then sure he/she will die. If he chooses to let them live, then sure they will live. But if he chooses neither and let's nature take its course, then a lot of it will fall into the hands of the patient, doctor, or whoever. This last category is what your hypothetical falls into if God exists.

FortunaMaximus
06-07-2007, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe medicine really does nothing, but has been running REALLY hot the past 2000 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what was the Black Death, variance?

I guess you can think of it like this. There's a old guy walking along on the beach. Fella watches him fall over, comes to him, gives him a hand. Pulls him up.

Then immediately pushes him over again. And just walks away.

Archon_Wing
06-07-2007, 01:20 AM
No, the black death was just bad play.

However, I would just say that not only online poker is rigged, but also live poker, and also life as well. God is the one pressing the doomswitch though. However, doing good deeds gives you lots of God bucks, which can't be exchanged elsewhere.

Hehe, I sometimes feel that the rigged online arguments are pretty similar to arguments about God. "But You can't prove online poker isn't rigged!" and then they present some anecdotes from their own experiences while attacking the morality of the opposing side. /images/graemlins/smile.gif