PDA

View Full Version : Need Legal Advice

tjwor
02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I Live in Kansas, I'm 18, and a Senior in high school...

I have played poker for the past 2 years, since I was 17. When I was 17 I made about 1K online, and since i've turned 18 I think i'm up around $2500. In my school there are 3 of us that play a lot of online poker. One of my friends who is 17 is up about 12K this year, another one who is 17 and plays a lot, very crazy games, and is up probably $1000.

Earlier today one of my teachers started asking us some questions about our gambling, this teaacher is probably the coolest one in our school, doesn't really care what we do, heck, he took a group of us to hooters on a school trip this weekend... anyways, he was asking us a few questions but didn't ever tell us why.

He ended up telling a few guys that 2 people in our school were going to be getting in trouble for online gambling. I'm not sure if it is me or not. I know that the one that has made 12K is on the list, because he is the only one that plays that isn't a senior, and the teacher said it is 1 senior and 1 junior. So that puts him and either me or my other friend.

Now, what can I expect for a problem here? Can I get a fine for gambling online, I know I have maybe $1,000 (from last year) in taxes that I didn't file (wouldn't have put me in a tax bracket that I actually had to pay taxes) and then I am gambling online.

My friend who is up 12K's dad said that him gabling online is a "Class B Misdemeanor" What that means I am not really sure, I know it meanas not jail time, just a fine at most correct? But what does that mean for me? I don't really think I could be in much trouble for not filing the taxes, because my income is not near enough to have to pay taxes, I am exempt...

So does anyone know if I have anything to be worried about? I hope I'm fine but I don't really know. I want to see what is the worst thing that could be comming my way the rest of this school year.

Also what about my few freinds that play? What type of punishment could they be under?

Nismo64
02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
ARE you guys 18? are you signed up under your parents name? I really doubt you can get in any trouble , Except your freind that maid the 12k he may be in trouble with the IRS.

Warren Harding
02-20-2006, 08:38 PM
I have bad news for you. Schools are often very aggressive to the point of stupidity in punishing students, even when the students' actions do not involve the school. Eagle scouts with butter knives in school parking lots, honor student giving an emergency asthma inhalor to another in need, students refusing to drink with friends offsite, special children drawing crude pictures, bags of dirt, lemon drops, tylenol, students writing fiction stories about violence in school, etc. have found themselves fighting criminal charges and/or looking for a GED.

This site http://www.zerointelligence.net has a lot of horror stories and a sympathetic audience. Read it, be prepared, and perhaps you can use it to come in contact with help.

Best of luck.

tjwor
02-20-2006, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ARE you guys 18? are you signed up under your parents name? I really doubt you can get in any trouble , Except your freind that maid the 12k he may be in trouble with the IRS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am the only one who is 18, and the friend who made 12K I think is playing under his mom's name. His firepay is in his name, and I think he plans to pay taxes on it...

[ QUOTE ]
I have bad news for you. Schools are often very aggressive to the point of stupidity in punishing students, even when the students' actions do not involve the school. Eagle scouts with butter knives in school parking lots, honor student giving an emergency asthma inhalor to another in need, students refusing to drink with friends offsite, special children drawing crude pictures, bags of dirt, lemon drops, tylenol, students writing fiction stories about violence in school, etc. have found themselves fighting criminal charges and/or looking for a GED.

This site http://www.zerointelligence.net has a lot of horror stories and a sympathetic audience. Read it, be prepared, and perhaps you can use it to come in contact with help.

Best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the school is the actual one getting invloved with it, unless they were contacted by an ouside source, I mean they aren't the ones that are trying to fine me or anything, it would be a bigger thing than just the school...

All the teacher told me was to be careful because people are watching, or something along those lines... I will try to find out more tomorrow about what he has heard and where, but I just wanted to see if the government could do anything, and if anything what it was...

Thanks for the responses!

kibble420
02-20-2006, 10:27 PM
If you're 18 now, what are they seriously going to do?

Do they have any evidence here? Who have you harmed?

What a waste of resources.

Niediam
02-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Based upon the original post it sounds to me that the state may have a law against online gambling.

tjwor
02-21-2006, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Based upon the original post it sounds to me that the state may have a law against online gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

To tell you the truth, I don't know... I've tried lookign but havn't found anything that says either way... there hasn't been anythign introduced within the past few days... I know the Kansas lottery has online games you can play (although this probably has no relevence for online poker...)

Wake up CALL
02-23-2006, 01:48 PM
You teacher is jacking you off. Probably concerned about your future well being and doesn't understand the difference between poker and gambling in general. Unless some of you have been doing it on school property I suggest you relax.

RickyG
02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Unless it's a private highschool you can tell them to shove it. And dont ever, ever, play poker at school.

If you are really paranoid i would suggest not bringing up the subject in school at all, even with your close professors and friends.

tjwor
03-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Well it doesn't have anything to do with the school, excecpt for the fact that a few teachers were told by someone that they were watching us... it has to do with some form of law inforcement or government... I got him to confirm that they are only looking to get the one who is 17 and has made over 10K, and just watching the rest of us very closely, so to make sure we don't do anything illegal...

MadTiger
03-01-2006, 03:26 AM
Town too small.

Must move.

Quick.

tjwor
03-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Move to college in 5 months or so...

Chris Alger
03-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Is there anything in your school district's rules for students that prohibits online gambling? Online poker? I doubt it. Can they suspend you generally for illegal activities for which you've neither been charged or convicted?

You may be entitled to a lawyer in any suspension proceeding, or may be entitled to one in any appeal of such a decision. So don't waive (or let your parents waive) any right.

Mostly, keep quiet at school about internet gambling.

Easy E
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Mostly, keep quiet at school about any gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

tjwor
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Well like I said, it isn't a problem with the school, they aren't going to suspend me for gambling, it is something deeper than that... some type of government getting involved I think... I hope I never find out, but i'm not too worried about it. He confirmed that it wasn't about me but about the 2 guys that are under 18...

KJack9
03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Has anything happened? I think they're bs'in. Is the school really gonna get the government involved, what are the gonna do call the police? Inform the IRS? I doubt it.