PDA

View Full Version : When you are the table whipping boy.

sushijerk
02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
I think at some point my cards became so dead at full ring and I got tagged as the biggest weak tight by absolutely every player at the table. My blinds get attacked every round. All my raises get 3-bet. I missed just about every flop, and end up check-folding the turn. I cap 3 ways on the flop with straight and flush draw and fold river for a single bet. All my moves scream "fish fry", and I started to believe it. Idiot LAGs suddenly become big and scary.

You know your play has become massively -EV when the only hand you can put your opponents on is "better than mine."

Dromar
02-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Is there a question in there? I'd suggest quitting playing or taking a break the second you realize this. Or at least change tables (if you're online).

tinhat
02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know your play has become massively -EV when the only hand you can put your opponents on is "better than mine."

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you can read hands; all I know is how many cards they got...

ShakeZula06
02-21-2006, 01:45 AM
All your opponents make mistakes. If they are betting and raising you constantly, be willing to call down with less then normal. Capitalize on whateer your opponents are doing to beat you. For every scheme there is a counter-scheme.

mindflayer
02-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I assume that you are playing on line.
im gonna guess 60hands/h 20% flops seen and you will hit 1/3 of your flops (on average)

so you will have a playable hand ever 4-5 minutes and can hit a flop once every 12-15 minutes. Factor in your comment about missing flops and now you are at hitting a flop once every 24-30 minutes. This might seem like forever.

I can't help if you are playing bricks and mortar where the games played is around half the internet rate in hands/hour. You will see a playable flop once in 2x forever.

If you are playing online,

drop down 2 levels and then open 4 tables.
Keep your tight standards and play as normally as you can, It just wont seem as long inbetween hands that you can play since you have 4 of them going. ie you can play (see a flop) one hand every 80 seconds now and if you hit 1/3 of your flops, you can get IN on the action with a playable hand once every 4-5 minutes now.

You might get confused if you never multi tabled before, so try 1/2 2 tables, but I always felt much easier and more eager to fold a small +EV hand when I had two to choose from. Single table with KJs in LP folded to me.. I would want to play the hand especially if I had not played a hand in 15 minutes, yet I would quickly toss this in the muck if at one of my other tables I had AQs in the same position and had to choose playing BOth or just one.

my 2c

JCCARL
02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
When you are getting this kind of read on your opponents, your best move is to fold the next hand, and stop playing. Think back to Gerry Cooney getting his brains beat out late in the heavyweight title fight against Larry Holmes.
No sense taking the knockout punch, or in your case losing that extra X amount of $$. Just throw in the towel and live to fight another day.
Just a thought,
Carl

cakewalk
02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

LOL
When you are getting this kind of read on your opponents, your best move is to fold the next hand, and stop playing. Think back to Gerry Cooney getting his brains beat out late in the heavyweight title fight against Larry Holmes.
No sense taking the knockout punch, or in your case losing that extra X amount of $$. Just throw in the towel and live to fight another day.
Just a thought,
Carl

[/ QUOTE ]

so very true carl

bobbyacro25
02-27-2006, 03:19 AM
I say shake your game up...... shock its a## out of adaptation. Play omaha or 7card. If you play in the evening try a morning or afternoon game. You need to break the habbit of a losing environment, if only temporary it will help get your confidence back. The one guy mentions something about counter schemes in this situation which leads me to believe hes never truly been in a rut this big. I have and there is no counter measure for having a table full of people who have no respect for your raises or re-raises other than to stop playing.

Bill King
02-27-2006, 06:24 AM
ive been in that scenario.. but you must remind yourself that you bumping these hands is gonna pay off when they hit.

you're not there to impress anybody else.. if you're playing right and well and pumping up your draws well then do whatever makes you a profit.

Dave H.
02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
drop down 2 levels and then open 4 tables.
Keep your tight standards and play as normally as you can, It just wont seem as long inbetween hands that you can play since you have 4 of them going. ie you can play (see a flop) one hand every 80 seconds now and if you hit 1/3 of your flops, you can get IN on the action with a playable hand once every 4-5 minutes now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree with you more! Multitabling takes the boredom away and keeps the looseness at bay.

If you are already multitabling, I would bet that you've also experienced those sessions where this kind of thing happens, it seems, on EVERY table you're playing. All I can say to this is that "variance lives" and it will happen. It disappears far more rapidly, though, when you multitable. But there are sessions where there is just nothing you can do, just as there are those sessions where you just can't seem to miss.