PDA

View Full Version : Revelation

muddydog
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
I've been groping around in the dark for a few weeks now feeling like I'm running bad, playing bad, but not sure what to do about it vs. a standard micro player who has been killing me lately until I saw this post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=6251739

Everything in it is valuable but a lightbulb went off when I read this part:

3. Don't make the fish's mistakes correct. You should be playing most of your hands against terrible players if you're using good game & seat selection. These terrible players will do odd things, and you need to adjust properly. If you don't, you can make their mistakes into good plays. When you bluff a calling station, you've turned the fish into a better player than you. Most fishies have very high VPIP's, trying to get lucky on the flop. You punish them by usually having better hands and charging them to see flops. You turn them into experts if you pay them off when they hit. For example :

Fish UTG raises A 6 to 2 BB
You reraise K K to 12 BB
folds to Fish who calls

Flop 6 6 7
Fish checks
You bet pot
Fish pushes all in
You call!!!!

Oh no! you made the fishes -EV style of chasing flops into a profitable style.

Then this explanation:

[ QUOTE ]
What is the "right" way to play against these guys when you have an over pair and/or TPTK? They could have anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The important thing is to actually know if they're just loose/bad (in which case you should be happy to go with an overpair), or if they're in fact "fishermen" (I think fisherman is the right term for someone just trying to see lots of flops and folding without a monster). Fishermen are generally passive and only play big pots with the goods.

One option against fishermen is to bet the flop then check the turn or river (depending on # of draws on the turn). If they are truly passive/predictable, if they bet big when you check, you can fold any one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been searching for this paragraph for a while not knowing what I've been looking for but now I've found it.

So other than just sharing this with people who may not have read this post by cbloom before I'm hoping to hear suggestions from people as to how using your HU display we can create a separate icon/rank for these guys based on stats so we (I'm assuming I'm not alone here) stop paying these guys off because they have a "bomb" icon on the screen. What differentiates a maniac from this guy?

I would also like to second the name "fisherman" as a great descriptive name for these guys. Let's create some awareness that this is a separate entity from a passive calling station and a crazy aggressive maniac.

Chomp
05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
That's one of my favourite PB posts. Classic stuff.