PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - Does anyone else call this huge overbet?

HP_Drifter
05-31-2007, 12:57 AM
No reads on villain. Is this an insta-fold?

SB: posts the small blind $0.10
BB: posts the big blind $0.25
--- DEALING POCKETS
Hero is dealt [Ac,As]
Hero: raises $0.95 to $1.20
UTG + 1: folds
Villain: calls $1.20
Button: folds
SB: folds
BB: calls $0.95
--- DEALING FLOP [4s,Kc,Ks]
BB: bets $1.10
Hero: calls $1.10
Villain: calls $1.10
--- DEALING TURN [3s]
BB: bets $0.90
Hero: calls $0.90
Villain: goes all in $21.75
BB: folds
Hero: ?

This is such a huge bet I really don't know what to think. A king doesn't make much sense to me. A flush is possible I suppose, but why would you shove such a huge amount when you hit what you're drawing to? I was thinking it might be possible Villain is shoving with a mid pair, but I'm not sure if this is just wishful thinking or not. A fullhouse seems very unlikely. Even if he does have the flush, I've still got a large number of outs - 2 aces, 2 kings, and any other spade for the nut flush. Even so, am I forced to fold here?

Lurker.
05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
fold

hummusx
05-31-2007, 01:03 AM
As played, you pretty much have to fold. The problem is that you botched the flop. You need to raise substantially in this spot. There's almost $4 in the pot and BB bets $1. You should raise to $5 or so.

HP_Drifter
05-31-2007, 01:14 AM
I figured someone would bring this up. I was thinking of raising, but would that really accomplish anything? If I raise and get re-raised, I pretty much have to fold. If I raise and get called, it pretty much paralyzes me. The only way it works is if I raise and the other two fold. On the other hand, if I just call the tiny donk bets and show it down, I make more than I would have if I had raised and the other two fold, and lose no more than I would have if I raised and got repopped/called. Willing to listen to reasons why this is a bad line.

Lurker.
05-31-2007, 01:16 AM
raising the flop is better because you figure out where you stand in the pot probably cheaper. calling the overbet as palyed is spew.

ocdscale
05-31-2007, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why would you shove such a huge amount when you hit what you're drawing to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking like that is what makes shoving so profitable. (As long as you mix it up)

doppelganger
05-31-2007, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As played, you pretty much have to fold. The problem is that you botched the flop. You need to raise substantially in this spot. There's almost $4 in the pot and BB bets $1. You should raise to $5 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ hummusx.

Are you still raising if there's no spade draw? I've been seeing a lot of posts lately that discourage raising a hand like this w/ good showdown value because it basically turns our hand into a bluff. In this case though, you want to charge the draws.