PDA

View Full Version : multi tabling for beginners

reemas
05-31-2007, 12:27 AM
i play alright (win but little) at the .05/.10 tables online. but when i multi table (2 tables) i find it tough to follow betting patterns and remember who was loose and tight, etc.

any suggestions, aside from continually playing? i can't imagine playing 4 or 5 tables. any tips you have would be helpful for now. thanks.

Lego05
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Poker Tracker and PokerAce Hud

Supwithbates
05-31-2007, 12:31 AM
I play 6-8 tables and can generally get a feel for who's playing loose and tight. It gets easier with practice.

hummusx
05-31-2007, 12:31 AM
With practice it shouldn't be too much of a problem to track two tables. Also, taking notes helps immensely because they you don't have to remember as much off the top of your head.

Realistically though, as you move up in tables, you'll want to purchase software to track the basic stuff for you. Poker Tracker + some kind of HUD (I use PokerAce) will give you a leg up on recognizing who at the table is tight and who is loose. Then you can concentrate on more specific reads on people as you pick them up.

Lurker.
05-31-2007, 12:35 AM
meh, you don't need a HUD for 10nl imo. PT is a must though. it really just comes down to practice. start at two, then move up to three...then four, then 6 etc etc. You get the hang of it faster than you'd think. GL.

hummusx
05-31-2007, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
meh, you don't need a HUD for 10nl imo. PT is a must though. it really just comes down to practice. start at two, then move up to three...then four, then 6 etc etc. You get the hang of it faster than you'd think. GL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your headaches will come on slower if you let the computer track easy stuff for you though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Khaos4k
05-31-2007, 12:50 AM
Eventually you'll be able to make reads easier. I honestly get bored playing only one table now. I can 3 table and make reads without much of a problem(though a HUD does help).

reemas
05-31-2007, 01:08 AM
i thought about using a HUD. I am using poker tracker, but thats more of a review of how i've been playing unlike the HUD.

i chose not to for now, to develop some basic skills, and not become so reliant on a HUD. bad idea? anyone else go that route successfully?

Lurker.
05-31-2007, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your headaches will come on slower if you let the computer track easy stuff for you though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
meh, i get a ton of migraines anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif

imho, you don't need a HUD unless you're playing like...6+ tables. I can keep track of four really easily without a HUD. It really depends on the person though.

Thuey11
05-31-2007, 01:30 AM
i 12 table on my laptop 25nl 6 max with no HUD

Lurker.
05-31-2007, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
my [censored] is bigger than yours

Thuey11
05-31-2007, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
my [censored] is bigger than yours

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, im not trying build an e-penis, i was just telling the truth

ocdscale
05-31-2007, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought about using a HUD. I am using poker tracker, but thats more of a review of how i've been playing unlike the HUD.

i chose not to for now, to develop some basic skills, and not become so reliant on a HUD. bad idea? anyone else go that route successfully?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gametime+ is a free HUD and there is absolutely no reason not to use it.
It frees you from the "grunt" work of trying to remember how loose/passive people are and frees you up to working the more subtle poker muscles.

Besides, in live games (where you won't have a HUD available), you're concentrating on only one table, and have a lot more time. Don't cripple yourself online.

Bowlboy
05-31-2007, 02:37 AM
Hi my name is James and I'm a HUDaholic. I play 9 tables and can't stop. 6 is like way too slow for me. I play pretty tight straightforward. Even for 10NL it's worth it imo to purchase poker ace. You can take a lot of notes playing 1-2 tables and if you do that's fantastic you'll develop your reading ability quickly. You'll still miss the odd thing like the guy from last week who sits at your table who's gone to showdown 65% and won 10% /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I rely heavily on my HUD though I take notes on more specific things that stats would'nt tell me when I see them.

Thuey11
05-31-2007, 03:04 AM
is HUD free?

EMc
05-31-2007, 03:06 AM
see my post in the SSNL sticky

fees
05-31-2007, 03:21 AM
the peoples mod doesnt have a picture yo?

Archon_Wing
05-31-2007, 03:40 AM
Overlap is the devil. That is all.

ev_slave
05-31-2007, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
meh, you don't need a HUD for 10nl imo. PT is a must though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is PT worth it's price at $10NL? OP sounds like he's just now starting with 2 tables, which is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I know that there are plenty of discussions specifically about PT, but many are for 25+NL games, and I've always been curious about whether or not I should do it at my current stakes.

My BR is a little above the recommended amount for 10NL, but not enough just yet that I can buy PT/AceHUD and still be properly rolled. My original plan was to get up to about $290 and then buy PT and Ace then just import all my hands... bad idea? Should I buy now? Thanks for advice... sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Vyse
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Get PT + PAHUD immediately. I got it when I started at 10 NL. It's worth it.

If you absolutely can't afford it, make it your No. 1 priority. Drop some real life money on it.

I used to multi table 8 at a time with the worst monitor in the world -- I could only fit one monitor without overlap. (I actually thought that was standard.) I could still keep up a lot of reads, though, and that trained me well. Now I 9 table with no overlap and sometimes 12 table with a bit of overlap and have no problem keeping most of my reads. Just practice.

ama0330
05-31-2007, 11:26 AM
The most essential skill in multi-tabling is learning which information is important, and which to ignore. Don't try and follow everything if you are playing 4 tables, because you can't (at least not right away anyway. It comes with practice). You need to learn what to pay attention to.

For example, if you have a really straightforward player who just bets his hands and folds when hes beat, you dont really need to pay any attention to him. If you have a guy cring you all over the place and floating you in 3bet pots, then you need to keep an eye on him. Figure out who to pay attention to and focus on those players, and ignore everything else.

If you are playing about 20vpip you should just about never time out on 4 tables. Dont be afraid to let the clock run down.

mrw8419
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
I also highly recommend some multitabling software like fulltilt shortcuts. Its amazing how much more time you have when using these types of programs. Everything from organizing tables, closing popups, the betting stuff is all great. I used to use the free version called table navigator, but fulltilt shortcuts is soooo much better. I've been using PT and PAHUD and when I sometimes play without it on my laptop I feel a little bit lost. Once you start using it the amount it costs will easily pay for itself in no time. When you see some fishy guys river aggression stat is 5/5 it makes that call sooo much easier.

goat_beard
05-31-2007, 12:01 PM
I dont think you need PAHud or anyother type of table overlay software even at 50nl. I 12 table and beat the game failry nicely and I find that it just takes a little bit of practice. Also, use notes. Lots and lots of notes. FTP is nice because you can store a whole HH in their notes if you want and its right there when you run your mouse over their name. Anyhow, GL at the tables!

HBomb
05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Yea, just practice at it and you'll be fine... personally I like to have just a "little overlap" because then you can easily tell which table is currently active to find tables within the blink of an eye instead of searching around for 12 tiny tables on a monitor.

monkeymaps
05-31-2007, 01:11 PM
to the guy who twelve tables on his laptop I assume your cascading the tables how do you deal with that? I can never handle cascade I have to have them all visable at once.

Perk76
05-31-2007, 01:20 PM
HUD is awesome.

One thing I do though is make sure to put in player notes as I see them. Also, I change the color of my table based on my image at that table. Red for LAG, Plain for TAG, and I use the beach for when I am playing more hands than normal at a passive table...

dafrk3in
05-31-2007, 01:27 PM
it also helps to sit in the same seat at all tables (ie pokerstars' preferred seat option)

ssdex
05-31-2007, 01:38 PM
1. if you are 12 tabling without HUD, that is just stupid, people will steal a ton of $ from you and there is no way you can know how often they 3bet, squeeze, ect.
2. that being said, HUD is an absolute must, i would say I run about 2ptbb/100 better with hud than without it.
3. its important to view your winrates with various amounts of tables, find what is the most profitable set up for you--- but personally i think anything more than 8 without a 30 inch dell is really dumb..... between 6-9 usually yields the highest profits.... if ur playing sng's or mtt's this is much different, then 12-16 is optimal, also if you play full ring you can play more tables, 12 is fine then. but at 6max i think anymore than 9 and you will be losing profit, you may still be a winner, but if you play 12, step down to 8 for a day and I bet you run better.

TJgniL
05-31-2007, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it also helps to sit in the same seat at all tables (ie pokerstars' preferred seat option)

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to use this but the HUD stats were being displayed under the wrong players, so I switched back. Fix?

relativity_x
05-31-2007, 01:50 PM
If you go to layout manager under options in PA HUD, you can choose pokerstars skins and choose the preferred seating for 10 man, 9 man, 8 man, 6 man tables. Maybe even heads up too.

Khaos4k
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to use this but the HUD stats were being displayed under the wrong players, so I switched back. Fix?

[/ QUOTE ]

The newest version (maybe the beta) lets you do this I think.

ev_slave
05-31-2007, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I change the color of my table based on my image at that table. Red for LAG, Plain for TAG, and I use the beach for when I am playing more hands than normal at a passive table...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an excellent idea... thanks!