PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - raise with JJ, villain repops.

osiris
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
villain is a bit of a maniac. 43/8/2.5 stats
on the flop he is definately repping an A ... but does he really re-raise preflop with AQ/AK ?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($25)
SB ($5.55)
BB ($22.96)
Hero ($40.55)
MP ($3.10)
CO ($29.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $3.875</font>, Hero calls $3, MP folds, SB calls $3.

Flop: ($13) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB calls $5.45 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $7</font>, Hero ??

osiris
05-31-2007, 01:43 AM
no one?

ocdscale
05-31-2007, 01:55 AM
Easy fold. What do you think you're ahead of?
Also, depending on reads on BB, I consider folding this preflop too. Note his relatively low PFR, and he's 3betting into a lot of people. If he's not doing this with AK/AQ, QQ+, what is he 3betting with?

pkrplyrX
05-31-2007, 02:10 AM
The only reason for a call preflop is b/c you don't put you opponent on an overpair and you want to see if an A hits. If you are considering calling him post flop after the A hits, maybe you should have re-re-raised him preflop (in other words don't be scared to put your money in, if you have a strong read that he is weak go ahead and protect your hand pre-flop).

osiris
05-31-2007, 02:29 AM
I think this is a case where I need to work on my reading skills. Basically I folded, it went to showdown between BB and SB.

Turn 3, river blank.

SB showed 33 for the set, and BB showed .... *drumroll please*...

so I guess in hindsight i shoulda reraised preflop?

Fiksdal
05-31-2007, 02:52 AM
This is a villain who seems like he doesn't really like open raising preflop, judging from his low preflop raise number.

he just 3bet seeing lots of action in front of him.

You can't beat his preflop range, and you don't have the odds to setmine. Just get out of there preflop.

Flop is a fold, you are drawing to two outs.

T-Bone98
05-31-2007, 02:54 AM
As played this is an easy fold.

osiris
05-31-2007, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

he just 3bet seeing lots of action in front of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah he just 3bet cause of all the action... so with the read that we may be ahead with our jacks shouldn't that be reason to 4-bet or push preflop?

or is that gonna get me in trouble in the long run when these sorts of ppl have QQ/KK/AA ?

I'm saying all of this of course because I know that villain had 99 here.. i'm trying to think of a better move to make in this situation.

Fiksdal
05-31-2007, 03:32 AM
What? You didn't have a read. You are being results oriented. Villain should be assigned a very strong range here. When theese limp-machines 3bet, they usually mean business.

kimpo
05-31-2007, 03:33 AM
Your better line is to fold pre flop to BB's raise. You aren't ahead of his range for the 3 bet in this spot and aren't deep enough to chase another J.

On flop instead of asking does he have an A, ask what could he have that you beat? Are you ahead or behind his range? Your esaily behind here and IMO its a clear fold.

ocdscale
05-31-2007, 03:49 AM
This rant is sorely needed considering how the OP feels about this (regret).

Every time someone posts a hand like this, you know what the right move is, but you also know why they post it (because obviously villain had something you don't expect). I.e., someone pushing flop with AA and asking if it was a good idea. Obviously Villain either flopped a set or drew out (chances of villain drawing out increase dramatically if OP shows turn/river).

This is because posts are self-selecting. No one posts something they feel is standard (Aces holding up).

But a fold here is uber standard. For every time villain shows a hand you beat, he shows Ax twenty times.

You aren't playing against his specific hand (which means results don't matter), because you don't know what hand he has when you're making your decision. You are playing against the range of hands he might have, and that range had you crushed.

osiris
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
OK
I gotta stop being so results oriented by the sounds of it... I will def continue to fold this in future.

thanks guys

BoerfSt
05-31-2007, 04:39 AM
You played it ok.No other way to play it.