PDA

View Full Version : NL50 - QJ flop QT9, postflop play was confusing for poor me.

Peter Harris
05-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $56.50</font>
BB: $34.00
UTG: $55.70
CO: $54.45
BTN: $47.25

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">2nd orbit, nothing noticeable. Orbit before this hand I raised PF and c-bet a Khi mono flop, he folded.</font>

bet more on turn? c/c river? what do i do, i was a little lost. the turn bet was meant to be 5, dont know how it ended up so.

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, CO folds, BTN calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.25, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2) T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.50</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2.50, BTN folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($7) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.41</font>, UTG calls $4.41

<font color="black">River:</font> ($15.82) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $10.00</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $30.00</font>, Hero...

ocdscale
05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Fold river as played. One pair is no good here.
I probably bet/fold too.

0uTpLaYeD
05-30-2007, 06:48 PM
why the flop overbet?

Peter Harris
05-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I was going to bet pot, and overclicked to 2.5 from 2. However, i think an overbet is good in that situation - maybe even to 3. There are 3 players i'm betting into and the best case scenario is they all fold. A 1.5pot bet may achieve that.

Angrymoog
05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Just curious about the river bet. What worse hands will check behind here, yet call your bet?

Abramovic
05-30-2007, 07:18 PM
I think going for 3 streets of value here is very optimistic.

I think there are lots of ways to play this hand. I dont think you HAVE to bet flop. If you do, youre almost always in an awkward situation on the turn, like you found yourself here. That 9 looks a good card, and you feel obliged to protect your hand (obviously slightly more here is better).

River things become awkward again. This is essentially a blank, which makes C/C much better than B/F (and the fold here is very straightforward), but other than Jx (which he'd need to be retarded to call 2 streets with), what is he bluffing (because we dont beat a value bet here)?

Chomp
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I probably go as passive as roadkill after the flop.

I guess in betting turn we are extracting value from draws, but villain's flop calling range is wider than just draws, and he could have a better Q, trips, boat, made str8...so I think we are extracting value/protecting against a relatively narrow part of his range when we bet. And we're OOP. All in all it just feels kinda scary and unnecessary to me.

And I'm a dreadful nit, but I actually am not at all sure about leading that flop into 3 players in the first place, but I'm really not sure about the technical +/-EV of c/c flop rather than bet.

Just IMO.

0uTpLaYeD
05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm guessing river bet is sort of a blocking bet to get to a cheaper showdown with a decent hand.

jmgambler
05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
As played I fold river......

I may have been tempted to check river, only because I hate players who flat call me down...makes me nervous, esp limped pots

orange
05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I think that c/c-ing this river is nicer than bet/folding. There are a ton of draws that missed and I doubt many worse Qs are calling a bet. I like PF/flop/turn play alot though.

Angrymoog
05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing river bet is sort of a blocking bet to get to a cheaper showdown with a decent hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a minor nit. A blocking bet is made because opponents hand range includes both hands that beat you as well as hands you beat that might call a bet. You make the blocking bet because hands that crush you will raise, and would have value bet you anyway, but hands that are weaker which would have checked behind now may call your bet.

I don't see ANY reasonable hand in villains range which can call a blocking bet, thus a bet here is wrong.