PDA

View Full Version : $50 balla caller

bozzer
05-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $55.50
BB: $93.20
UTG: $18.05
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $50.75</font>
CO: $50.00
BTN: $80.05

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">villain: CO. 14/10/4 over 100 hands today but 17/10/2.6 over 140 lifetime. </font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, CO calls $2.00, BTN calls $2.00, SB folds, BB calls $1.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($8.25) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (4 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $7.25</font>, CO calls $7.25, 2 folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($22.75) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $12.00</font>, Hero calls $12.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($46.75) K/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets all-in for $28.75</font>, Hero calls $28.75

standard?

ama0330
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Thats so sick. I dont even know what to say about that hand.

I really do definitely fold preflop, precisely because I want to avoid a situation like this.

Fwiw I dont even bother protecting this hand OOP 4 ways on the flop. Its basically garbage to me and I am looking to limp to SD just because collectively there are so many outs against me and so many chances I am beaten. So I dont bet the flop.

As played, wow. I mean I guess if you feel like you are ahead with a guy this nitty then good luck to you, indeed if you did feel like you had the best hand then you played it well. Some might say raise the turn to protect against the FD but given the chance that CO bluffs the river, its a good call seeing as you have him drawing very thin.

Very non-standard hand here.

fees
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
realize that you beat nothing but a bluff.... calling the turn and river you can to understand he is bluffing, if it is you're opinion that he is (he likely is not) than call down

otherwise pitch turn

Das Budrick
I don't think this is good at all, I would fold preflop, for the rest of it as ama said if you think you're ahead here then good to get it all in, but I don't think you're ahead here often enough at all to make this profitable.

tarheeljks
i would probably c/f the turn. why did you decide to call down?

edit: granted i would have probably folded pf.

ama0330
05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes you just feel it man, sometimes you just feel it.

monkeymaps
05-30-2007, 03:48 PM
I dont have a prob with pre but I c/f that flop sounds weak but thats a pretty gross spot. Any reads? or what did you put villian on that you could beat? OESD? j10? your a better player than me for sure so just curous on your thought proccess here.

bozzer
05-30-2007, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes you just feel it man, sometimes you just feel it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically.

But also the there is the combination of very wet flop and weaksauce turn bet.

I like a call on the turn because its gonna be close whether I'm ahead or not, and I don't want to turn my hand into a bluff. I want value from bluffs. I don't care about protecting against draws, my hand is not that valuable vs his range now (ps ama I think checking flop is a good play) - all my value comes from bluffs (I'm folding scary rivers no question).

On the river everything misses, but AJ,AQ should check behind now. By my calculations I need to be right about 1/4 times. No value here?

ama0330
05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
That depends. Did you have the best hand?

Waingro
05-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I canīt see why you posted this hand. Unless you always stack off with tpnk, this isnīt standard. Instead you obviously had some reason to believe this villain would get aggro with a draw of some sort, but you donīt mention this in your op. So I canīt really tell what you want us to comment on.

Ok so the flat call on a pretty drawy flop is suspicious, but maybe he had AT-AQ and was unsure if his hand was best, and decided on the turn that it was. Or he hit his set on the flop and decided to slowplay, not really paying attention to the board.

bozzer
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

On what? Surely not on this:

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have the best hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I canīt see why you posted this hand. Unless you always stack off with tpnk, this isnīt standard. Instead you obviously had some reason to believe this villain would get aggro with a draw of some sort, but you donīt mention this in your op. So I canīt really tell what you want us to comment on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking for comments on how standard it is to call down here when a bluff seems reasonably likely given board and action, if not opponent. It seems it isn't so this thread has been pretty helpful.

[ QUOTE ]
AT-AQ and was unsure if his hand was best, and decided on the turn that it was. Or he hit his set on the flop and decided to slowplay, not really paying attention to the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....

Chomp
05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
PSA: FPS (AKA NG)

CU

members_only
05-30-2007, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was looking for comments on how standard it is to call down here when a bluff seems reasonably likely given board and action, if not opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very, in my opinion. In fact I thought you were being ironic.

My thoughts:

Pro call:

1. Your apparent line of thought - that this is only a very good hand or a bluff, and given that it might be a slightly strange way to play some of the very good hands he could have (e.g. 33, 55 AK), it's likely enough that it's a bluff - makes sense.

2. You just had a feeling!

Anti:

1. I do think there is quite a large range of hands that villain (tight and not massively aggressive post-flop) could have that beat us and that he'd play this way (AT, set wouldn't be that weird if he's looking to raise turn, even something backdoor like KdTd, A5s maybe)

2. I think AQ and AJ do sometimes bet here (you've played it pretty weak after the flop.)

3. His 'weaksauce' bet doesn't really mean much - as you can see, it was easily enough to leave you both pot committed on the river.

4. You're slightly overestimating your odds on the river.

So I'd probably have folded the turn or river. But it's interesting, maybe we should be value-calling more in these spots, I don't know.

C4LL4W4Y
05-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Well as everyone else has said, this is definitely not standard. It all comes down to what % of his range you consider to be air/missed draws, because there are no hands betting this for value that you beat. Like ama said, sometimes you just feel it.

bozzer
05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
well as everyone seems to have guessed this was a bit of a brag post.

I called and he showed 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gif for MP and a gutshot. what he was doing with that preflop I don't know. (i was running 27/20 on this table so maybe he was getting annoyed.)

I was being ironic when I was asking if this was standard: I didn't expect loads of 'standard' responses. But I did want to know whether people consider calling this given the factors I listed above. Maybe there is a lot of 'feel' to it (for some reason I was actually fairly confident when I called), but it should still be possible to discuss the hand given the sprinkling of clues I gave.

I don't know whether this was a good call or not. Maybe I got lucky, and 9/10 he's got AK+ here, but putting myself in villain's shoes it seemed like a very likely spot for a bluff: all he's seen me do is cb and then check to him twice.

thanks for the comments everyone.