PDA

View Full Version : Cardplayer Magazine's predictions on the regs

1p0kerboy
05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My prediction is that our government will not be able to create rules and regulations with any teeth whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here. (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/8937)

Orlando Salazar
05-30-2007, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My prediction is that our government will not be able to create rules and regulations with any teeth whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here. (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/8937)

[/ QUOTE ]

TG no rickroll

kidpokeher
05-30-2007, 12:48 PM
The same "experts" who predicted companies like Neteller aren't going to pack up and disappear.

http://www.cardplayer.com/author/article/cp_magazine/129/5767

1p0kerboy
05-30-2007, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The same "experts" who predicted companies like Neteller aren't going to pack up and disappear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Neteller pack up and disappear?

IIRC, the U.S. DoJ got ahold of the funds.

MiltonFriedman
05-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Ms. Shulman's "prediction" ......

Nostradamus, she ain't.

MiltonFriedman
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
She engages in wishful thinking, like someone who pays to hit a 1 outer.

By the way, I noticed that the Party ad on the CardPlayer webpage was for a dotNet site ....

Wynton
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
That was a particularly worthless article, even by Shulman's standards.

Skallagrim
05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok guys, I wouldnt put Ms. Shulman up as an expert either, but the article wasnt entirely worthless (not everyone follows the 2+2 boards you know).

It highlights my own feelings about the regulations, specifically the exemption of checks and e-checks. The banks, who of course have political clout we can only dream of, do not want this burden.

Skallagrim

berya
05-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I think it's pretty much been established that her articles are worthless.

Sniper
05-30-2007, 06:08 PM
The article is a good summary of the current state of things... it provides no new information...

MiltonFriedman
05-30-2007, 06:17 PM
No, don't forget her "personality" features for Card Player or her expertise in constitutional law, based on plea bargaining misdemeanor cases in California.

She has NO standards, except that she is married to the publisher.

TheEngineer
05-30-2007, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The article is a good summary of the current state of things... it provides no new information...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. She is correct in reminding us that Gonzales hadn't firmed up the regs as of a couple of weeks ago. I imagine banks are working OT to keep the burden off of them, and they have a very friendly ear in the House Financial Services Chair, Barney Frank. I hope everyone here will write to Paulson and Gonzales this week.

BluffTHIS!
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, don't forget her "personality" features for Card Player or her expertise in constitutional law, based on plea bargaining misdemeanor cases in California.

She has NO standards, except that she is married to the publisher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget she also controls the PPA board with her vote and that of two other CP writers.

*However*, I agree with her conclusion that the regs will be gotten around fairly easily, no matter how stringent the gov't tries to make them, and *especially* if the gov't listens to the objections of the banks.

(cue Billman or one of his gimmick accounts to poo-poo the half-full glass theory and maintain the glass will be bone dry)

yahboohoo
05-31-2007, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*However*, I agree with her conclusion that the regs will be gotten around fairly easily...*especially* if the gov't listens to the objections of the banks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a novel idea: Why don't they listen to the objections of the people?

oldbookguy
05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*However*, I agree with her conclusion that the regs will be gotten around fairly easily...*especially* if the gov't listens to the objections of the banks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a novel idea: Why don't they listen to the objections of the people?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is likely they won't listen but we PEOPLE need to write them so they can hear from us.

Additionally WHEN the UIGEA rules are finally decided upon there will be a 30 day commentary period before they take effect we need to do Bush said in NY at the WTC site; "They are going to hear from all of us real soon" and we need make sure ALL forums and groups promote this, same as when the Frank hearing is scheduled.

As for me, someone hears from me every day.

obg

crzylgs
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
From the article:
[ QUOTE ]
My calculations makes July 10 the compliance date.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9498/mariejaffreyshulmante1.jpg

05-31-2007, 03:35 PM

crzylgs
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
What do you expect him to say?

"Sir, what I can tell you is we're planning to fold to pressure from the banking industry not to add another layer of regulation to their systems."

Neurotoxin
05-31-2007, 04:06 PM
The PPA should target John Kyl and the other members of the small minority of congressmen who got this [censored] passed. The PPA's #1 strength is [censored] of money available from people who don't value it that much. Get these clowns knocked out of office.

TheEngineer
05-31-2007, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The PPA should target John Kyl and the other members of the small minority of congressmen who got this [censored] passed. The PPA's #1 strength is [censored] of money available from people who don't value it that much. Get these clowns knocked out of office.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kyl's not up for reelection for five more years. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Goodlatte, OTOH, is up every two years. Curiously, I found nothing relating to online gambling on his website. Seems he liked using us for political gain back when it was risk-free (the social conservatives loved it and no one else said much). Now that his buddy Leach lost, his party is out of power, and we're on the offensive, it's not so easy anymore. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The PPA, and we, should target all these anti-gambling zealots with intensity and ferocity.

Gonso
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
I'll say this much: for a billion dollar industry, online poker sites have a lot to learn about wooing political support. Campaign contributions FTW, you dumb bitches

TheEngineer
05-31-2007, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll say this much: for a billion dollar industry, online poker sites have a lot to learn about wooing political support. Campaign contributions FTW, you dumb bitches

[/ QUOTE ]

Overseas companies can't legally contribute directly to campaigns, I don't think. Harrah's will certainly pony up if they like this legislation. They contribute mad money already.

Gonso
06-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I have no doubt there is a legal avenue for funds to travel from Gibraltar to Congress is some fashion, even if a middleman were required. Or, buy a few small assets in the US and contribute... point is they have more than enough money to have influence.

TheEngineer
06-01-2007, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no doubt there is a legal avenue for funds to travel from Gibraltar to Congress is some fashion, even if a middleman were required. Or, buy a few small assets in the US and contribute... point is they have more than enough money to have influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bottom line is that it looks like we cannot depend on them to help get the current laws changed. It's up to poker players like us. I hope everyone will write to Congress and to Treasury Secretary Paulson this week.