PDA

View Full Version : NL50: Flopped a set, river completes a flush

raiden
05-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Villain is 20/10/2.5. No reads.

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
Hero: $48.25
UTG+1: $55.55
CO: $22.07
Button: $41.68
SB: $47.95
BB: $29.29

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($4.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.5</font>, Button calls.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($11.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, Button calls.

River: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($27.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero ?</font>

Shove? C/C? Blocking bet?

munkey
05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I check/call or check fold or let it get checked down here as it looks like villan is drawing a decent amont of time/ has Ax.

juggler97531
05-30-2007, 12:28 PM
i think check/call is the best option. usually i like to bet/fold, but here the pot is so big that we won't have enough behind to fold if we bet. But check/folding looks soo weak here to me. He can even valuebet tons of hands that we beat if we check to him.

i don't know how to react to allin from him as it is slightyly overbetting the pot.

i think that also some history on you agiainst villain will be helpful to say whether he likes to bluff busted draws. What is your image? is it possible he called your PFR with 86s? 75s? a5, a7, a2, q7s? do you often cbet? have you pushed him off from a big pot lately? all this can have influence wheter it is correct to bet or to check here.

Emperor Norton
05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Ugh. Villain played this exactly like a draw, so on the river he usually has either diamonds or a busted straight, and the former is more common than the latter. It seems very unlikely that villain has two pair or a set. And if villain was getting stubborn with a hand like QJ, as villains sometimes do, I doubt you're getting any value out of him either by checking or betting. I think that I'd throw out a smallish bet of $10-12 and fold to a push, even getting good odds, because after how passively he's played this hand I really don't see him pushing with less than the flush. I think it's a reasonable bet size because $12 is still an objectively large bet at these stakes, so it doesn't really smell of weakness to the average player, and because if we checked we'd be tempted to call substantially more when he bets.

I have trouble with spots like this. I'd like to see more commentary on this hand.

Sam Spade
05-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Villain isn't a loose or overly passive player. What is his range preflop? Suited A, suited K (maybe), pocket pairs, big facecards (mostly suited)? Based on that range what does he call getting terrible drawing odds on both the flop and the turn? Is he capable of floating waiting for a scare card to knock us off a hand?

If you check this river you are going to have to make a decision for a lot of your money most of the time against a thinking player. The same can be said for betting half the pot. I bet 3/4 pot, take away his fold equity, call his shove, and cry when he turns over AJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

ocdscale
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you check this river you are going to have to make a decision for a lot of your money most of the time against a thinking player. The same can be said for betting half the pot. I bet 3/4 pot, take away his fold equity, call his shove, and cry when he turns over AJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks very bad. If you decide your money is going in regardless, you should check to him as he may bluff busted straight draws and may fold hands like AKo that he would have bet if you checked to him.

He's never folding any hands that beat you, but he might bet hands that are worse. Bet/call seems like the worst option out of the bunch.

ama0330
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I cant see what else he could have on this board. Check call or check fold. Id fold anything over 1/2 pot I think.