PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Republicans

TheEngineer
05-30-2007, 12:15 AM
After reading Autobet's letter to the DNC, I figured I'd write a letter to the RNC. Here it is:

Mr. Michael Duncan
RNC Chairman
Republican National Committee
310 First Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003

Dear Mr. Duncan:

As a fellow Republican, I am writing to express my concern that the Republican Party has alienated many paleoconservatives, like myself, and other traditional Republicans by abandoning its limited government roots in favor of big government social conservatism. The growth of the federal government since 2001 is apparent in many areas. A particularly troubling area is in the party’s drive for federal prohibition of Internet poker, as this is symptomatic of a larger cultural issue within the party with regard to individual freedoms. While this legislation of values may seem okay to some right now, the tremendous power we are giving the federal government over our personal decisions cannot be good for any of us who care about freedom, be it religious or personal.

Congressional Republicans embraced the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA), a draconian law that enables the federal government to virtually peer into the windows of law-abiding Americans to see if they are…gasp!… playing online games in the privacy of their own homes. Why? Republicans no longer trust Americans to make their own decisions? We now require the federal government to make these choices for us? Sorry, but there is already a party that purports to do that. Our party professed to believe that the government that governed best governed least. We should not become second-rate Democrats who look to Washington for answers, especially concerning our personal choices within our own homes. I feel this nanny-statist attitude of many congressional Republicans contributed to our loss in the last election, and I feel we will continue to lose elections if we tell Americans we do not trust them.

Big government solutions to social issues, either from LBJ or GWB, are not conservative. Limited government is just that…limited. There is nothing conservative about big government, regardless of how much one loves the laws it passes. Please help our party rediscover its roots. Support individual freedom and limited government. You can help by rejecting calls to include language in the 2008 Republican Party Platform calling for federal legislation prohibiting Internet poker.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

TheEngineer

kidpokeher
05-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Nicely written. Beats the QUIT [censored] WITH MY RIGHTS YOU [censored]!! letters I've been sending.

Fonzi
05-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Viva La Reaganomics

TheEngineer
05-30-2007, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nicely written. Beats the QUIT [censored] WITH MY RIGHTS YOU [censored]!! letters I've been sending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I think it's important for folks to hear our side of the issue.

Hock_
05-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Very nice letter. I'm just not sure that most republican politicians actually still believe that the republican party is about small government and individual rights.

TheEngineer
05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very nice letter. I'm just not sure that most republican politicians actually still believe that the republican party is about small government and individual rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

I agree with your comments.. That's why I hope the letter will have some small effect....let them know many Republican voters do care about limited government.

Karak567
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Engineer,

Do you mind if I share this letter with some of my friends on other message boards?

TheEngineer
05-30-2007, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Engineer,

Do you mind if I share this letter with some of my friends on other message boards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, no problem.

If you want, perhaps provide a link to our Action Item thread (or even just to the Legislation forum)....we need the help of everyone who cares. Thanks.

TheGrasshopper
05-31-2007, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad but true. This Republican wishes the party returns to its roots.

TheEngineer
05-31-2007, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad but true. This Republican wishes the party returns to its roots.

[/ QUOTE ]

The party is somewhat more inclined to listen to its rank-and-file than usual, given that they're out of power in Congress and that Bush's popularity is low. It may be worth it for a few of us to shoot them quick notes. This won't change any laws, but it does help us show that we exist, we vote, and we care enough about it to send letters.

Also, I did receive a short reply to my email (I followed it with a snail mail); it was a standard reply but it did include my real name, indicating that someone at least read my email. Their email addresses are:

- Michael Duncan, RNC Chairman ......... Chairman@gop.com
- Jo Ann Davidson, RNC Co-Chair ...... Info@gop.com

Legislurker
05-31-2007, 09:02 AM
I think another thing useful to look into would be how to be a delegate to the RNC or DNC. Whichever party you are or choose to register for, find out the process. Some states are winner take all delegates, but some apportion delegates based on votes per candidtate. This is a random thought I just had sitting down, but I think it could be positive exposure, especially if a TV camera picked you up at either convention wearing pro poker buttons and signs at a nominating convention. If we had one twoplustwo poster per party per state at a convention..........

PBJaxx
05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Just shipped a similar letter to Mr. Duncan. Thank you, Engineer!

TheEngineer
05-31-2007, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just shipped a similar letter to Mr. Duncan. Thank you, Engineer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!