PDA

View Full Version : I need to force myself to stop playing for bonuses...

KSOT
02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I've been playing for over a year now and it's well past time I should move up to 3/6 and beyond, but I'm so obsessed with clearing every bonus available to me that I never have time to focus on pushing my limits at Party. The Crypto network alone takes enormous amounts of time to complete every month, especially since I'm not really comfortable playing higher than 1/2 on non-Party sites.

Every month I plan to finish the Cryptos early and really focus on playing my best game at higher stakes than I'm used to, but one random reload or another always pops up and occupies what little time I leave for myself. I feel like I'm a sucker if I don't take every reload opportunity given to me, so much that it borders on obsessive compulsiveness. Deep down I know I'm probably missing an even bigger payday on Party, but honestly the thought of moving up frightens me more than it should. I always fall back on easy, reliable, low-risk, small stakes bonus whoring.

Have any of you ever been at a similar point in your careers? How did you snap yourself out of it?

mosquito
02-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, know how you feel. The hard part is the bonuses that have to be done in a certain amount of time, those are the ones that screw with your life.

I built up mega bonus at UB, Paradise and Stars while chasing other bonii, since they stack and don't expire. Now I can play at one of them or AP (constant bonuses) anytime just because there's a good game and still get some bonus (even if it's not technically as good as a timed bonus). That means I can start or stop anytime. There's less pressure to get X number of hands in. I'm finally playing higher limits.

The drudge used to be that I'd play the game that was best for clearing the bonus. Now I take the bonus that comes for playing the best game.

belgianbeerlover
02-21-2006, 11:09 AM
I think a lot of people have been in your same situation- me included. I don't bonus chase as much, because I've found it to be more profitable to move up limits and focus more on my play.

[ QUOTE ]
How did you snap yourself out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper bank roll, don't be afraid to move back down temporarily, constantly analyze and track your play, read constantly, be patient, drop the difficult bonus', don't be overly results oriented in the short term, and don't play scared (proper bank roll and reading helped me with this one). As I'm sure you know- the Crypto's will take a LOT less time at the higher limts.

SnglMaltScotch
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I am having the same battle. I have be a Bonus Whore for about 9 months making >$1,000 each month. My goal for this year is 5/10 from where I am now at 2/4. The hardest part for me is that I am going to see a short term drop in earnings while I work my way up. I don't play enough hand to reach $1,000/month at 2/4 unless I run extremely hot.

Play 2/4 and 3/6 at Party for a while and you will remember why you don't want to play elsewhere. Plus I think that the bonuses are starting to dry up and in order to continue to make good money, moving up is the only place to go.

Good Luck and I don't think there is any easy answer.