PDA

View Full Version : Take TheIronChef Challenge

vintage_sara
01-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Happy New Year! My very first post on the Stud forum.

The table is pretty loose overall and was insane but is now a little more passive. I started with $250 and played against a maniac as you can see by my stack, who made others play crazy -- I will have more thoughts on this part later. Seat 7 isn't Ted Forrest but he's no NuLook either (That's a PP joke). I've only played with him a few times and I have no notes on him but he seems reasonable. I really tend to only mark STFs and/or Pros.

On 6th street after being raised I typed: oh my...that can never be good. In response, my opponent typed: lol

Take TheIronChef Challenge on 6th street. What would you do? And Why? What did I do?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter (http://j.1asphost.com/greenage))

Seat 2: $256.03
Seat 3: $250.73
Hero: $807.80
Seat 5: $187
Seat 7: $255.50
Seat 8: $361.50

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Hero: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls

4th Street - (1.80 SB)

Hero: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks
Seat 8: xx xx K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks

5th Street - (0.90 BB)

Hero: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks
Seat 8: xx xx K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks

6th Street - (0.90 BB)

Hero: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 7: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises
Seat 8: xx xx K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds

Jeffage
01-04-2006, 04:15 PM
This is a nasty spot. I would have probably bet 5th myself since no one else seems interested and you have a decent shot at stealing. As played, 6th blows...if he has a clue, he probably realizes most players won't ever fold three deuces there and that his raise looks brazen. Yet, he is raising. My guess is he lucked out and hit a set of threes even though one three is dead. Or maybe 42 in the whole and he hit a wheel right in the gut. You're getting 4-1 odds on a 9 outer if he has the wheel...if he makes a boat, you can hit and lose. If you call, will you call again with unimproved trips?

I would fold, but I'd try to avoid this spot by betting 5th when my scare card might allow me to take it down w/o a fight. Bizarre situation though.

Jeff

vintage_sara
01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
If you are not posting because you think this is too easy...thre's a little more here than you realize.

vintage_sara
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks Jeff for posting...I think most people will think this is too easy of a hand...but there are a few really good concepts here.

lstream
01-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Sara,

I'm not responding since I am at work, so this is just my interim response. I agree this is a real head scratcher. My first guess is that he has been sitting on rolled aces, and has been dying for someone to catch something. If so, you likely caught a little more than he is comfortable with. I will attempt to resist the tempatation to think about this until I get home, but I may fail /images/graemlins/cool.gif. So I have to hold off on the vote too. Happy to see you posting a hand.

MRBAA
01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
He can have rolled aces, but I'd say trip 3s (or other hidden trips) is more likely, even though you have a 3. But you're getting 4-1 to call, just about your odds to fill/quad, so I don't think it matters a great deal. I probably call and check/fold the river unimproved.

Jeffage
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
How do you think the chances that you can fill up and lose should enter into the odds calculation (just curious, not questioning)? I'm actually thinking your idea to call the raise and C/F UI may be better than folding to the raise. But..I still think betting the street before is the play.

Jeff

Roland
01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're getting 4-1 to call

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...no?

MRBAA
01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
1 bb in pot, sara bets, raiser raises = 4bb back to her for one more.

MRBAA
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, he could also be full already, or as you say draw to beat you. But then again, he could have a four flush and an overpair and be taking a shot at playing you off your hand (okay, not bloody likely). But still, the bet you win by calling the river probably gives you enough overlay against the times he overfills. These are the kinds of situations it's not worth agonizing about, since they are so close to even money.

Roland
01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1 bb in pot, sara bets, raiser raises = 4bb back to her for one more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm retarded.

Roland
01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, he could also be full already

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...no??

MRBAA
01-04-2006, 05:49 PM
My bad. Was thinking he could also have you beat with the very unlikely case deuce/4 str8.

frappeboy
01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
There are 35 unseen cards in the deck, 8 out which improves your hand, so you are 3.375-1 to improve and your pot odds are 4-1. This is assuming your opponent doesn't have trip 3s. If he does, then you lose 2 outs.

So based purely on pot odds you can make this call, but only if you're willing to fold the river unimproved. Also, I think you need to be willing to fold to another raise on the river with 2s full to make this call profitable. Another thing to keep in mind, is that if you only had 7 outs instead of 8, you would have exactly a 4-1 chance to improve and getting exactly 4-1. Now I think it becomes a clear fold especially if you're the type of player who won't fold 2s full if your opponent comes over the top. If you plan on throwing in another bet with just trip 2s then you should definitely fold and just stay out of trouble.

In the heat of battle I'd just fold. You're clearly beaten, and your odds are very borderline. Its impossible to make exact calculations like this quickly, and you could get into serious trouble when you do improve on the river.